Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Team for Plymouth

Time to discuss football, not finance. ;)

Logan

Stearman, McAuley, McCarthy, Johansson

Sylla, Wesolowski, Hughes, Welsh

Hume, Fryatt

Bench: Henderson, Kenton, Porter, Johnson, Hammond

With Tiatto out, Welsh should return on the left. Hopefully Wesolowski will start ahead of Johnson - probably not, unfortunately. I get the feeling Fryatt will start this one. McAuley will be replaced by Kisnorbo if Kisnorbo is fit to start - McAuley will be on the bench in that case. If Kisnorbo isn't fit, Kenton will be on the bench and McAuley will start.

Thoughts? :)

Tiatto for welsh. Surely the guys deserves his place. Yep defence, midfield and attack sounds good. Fryatt for Hammond. Think Thracian has to agree with this one in particular because he hasnt been as effective. So irrelevant of anything time to rotate the strikers has come. Btw anyone noticed if Fryatt had real want to prove himself at Sheffield?

BUT henderson for logan. The kid needs a rest to study the other GK's faults and aim to improve his mental technique. Otherwise its going to be trial and error for logan and we know he can do better than that.

Tiatto for welsh. Surely the guys deserves his place. Yep defence, midfield and attack sounds good. Fryatt for Hammond. Think Thracian has to agree with this one in particular because he hasnt been as effective. So irrelevant of anything time to rotate the strikers has come. Btw anyone noticed if Fryatt had real want to prove himself at Sheffield?

BUT henderson for logan. The kid needs a rest to study the other GK's faults and aim to improve his mental technique. Otherwise its going to be trial and error for logan and we know he can do better than that.

To be honest I'm past caring. With the players likely to be available for one reason or another, it's a limited and disjointed team anyway, win, lose or draw.

I cannot believe that 16 months after Levein's arrival we are still no nearer mending the faults which were blatantly apparent as early as last October.

What we've got now is make do but not mend.

Various posters have suggested what I believed was close to a balanced attacking side and Kelly's never gone close to picking such a team. He's short of options now for one reason or another but even if he wasn't I doubt he'd change his approach.

Even now I cannot bring myself to wish him anything but success in his approach but, deep down, I've no desire to watch that style of play and no faith in him generally because of what I said in my second paragraph.

I'm also a bit sick of all the petty disciplinary problems that seem to beset the club internally. Stearman, Porter, O'Grady, Gradel, Hughes, Sheehan, Sylla, Maybury, Ryan Smith and Dublin have all been mentioned over the last year or so.

And this from a squad of blokes who have done okay on occasions but achieved sod-all so far....

That said, given our limited options I'd change the system and play 4-2-4 with Hammond, Hume, Fryatt, Welsh across the front.

Logan

Hume, Fryatt

With Tiatto out, Welsh should return on the left. Hopefully Wesolowski will start ahead of Johnson - probably not, unfortunately. I get the feeling Fryatt will start this one. McAuley will be replaced by Kisnorbo if Kisnorbo is fit to start - McAuley will be on the bench in that case. If Kisnorbo isn't fit, Kenton will be on the bench and McAuley will start.

Yep, that should be the team. I doubt Kelly will drop Johnson for Weso but we live in hope.

Logan

Hume, Fryatt

Pretty much it, although if Kis is fit, I'd expect him and McCauley in the centre.

To be honest I'm past caring. With the players likely to be available for one reason or another, it's a limited and disjointed team anyway, win, lose or draw.

I cannot believe that 16 months after Levein's arrival we are still no nearer mending the faults which were blatantly apparent as early as last October.

What we've got now is make do but not mend.

Various posters have suggested what I believed was close to a balanced attacking side and Kelly's never gone close to picking such a team. He's short of options now for one reason or another but even if he wasn't I doubt he'd change his approach.

Even now I cannot bring myself to wish him anything but success in his approach but, deep down, I've no desire to watch that style of play and no faith in him generally because of what I said in my second paragraph.

I'm also a bit sick of all the petty disciplinary problems that seem to beset the club internally. Stearman, Porter, O'Grady, Gradel, Hughes, Sheehan, Sylla, Maybury, Ryan Smith and Dublin have all been mentioned over the last year or so.

And this from a squad of blokes who have done okay on occasions but achieved sod-all so far....

That said, given our limited options I'd change the system and play 4-2-4 with Hammond, Hume, Fryatt, Welsh across the front.

I quite enjoy our cyber jousts over your team selections etc... but this time you have gone too far!!!!!

:P:unsure::blink:

I quite enjoy our cyber jousts over your team selections etc... but this time you have gone too far!!!!!

:P:unsure::blink:

Why's that?. If you're going to ride the roller coasters it might as well be on the edge. Besides my 4-2-4 would be as fluid as we can make it and even 3-3-4 or 2-4-4 when possible. I'd rather have Hammond's speed than Sylla putting the brakes on! :D:D:D

Why's that?. If you're going to ride the roller coasters it might as well be on the edge. Besides my 4-2-4 would be as fluid as we can make it and even 3-3-4 or 2-4-4 when possible. I'd rather have Hammond's speed than Sylla putting the brakes on! :D:D:D

We haven't got the central midfielders to control the game to play a 4-2-4. Neither has anyone. That's why no-one does it, not because no manager is attack-minded enough.

We haven't got the central midfielders to control the game to play a 4-2-4. Neither has anyone. That's why no-one does it, not because no manager is attack-minded enough.

Can't can't can't....that's all I ever hear and on the back of a dismal defeat.

Team:

Logan;

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Sheehan;

Hammond, Hume, Fryatt, Welsh.

What's wrong when we're in possession with one of our wing backs joining the midfield and Porter supporting the forwards.

And in defence, what's wrong with Weso playing the holding role and Hume/Hammond/Welsh tracking back as appropriate?

Perfect? Of couirse not but it is the basis of a balanced side that has fluidity throughout. COG could replace either of our two front men from the bench and Andy King any of our midfielders. Maybury, Nils and Henderson would make up the bench.

Passing, energy, speed, strength, goals potential, creative ability What's the big problem compared with the mix-and-match alternatives?

Team:

What's wrong when we're in possession with one of our wing backs joining the midfield and Porter supporting the forwards.

And in defence, what's wrong with Weso playing the holding role and Hume/Hammond/Welsh tracking back as appropriate?

Perfect? Of couirse not but it is the basis of a balanced side that has fluidity throughout. COG could replace either of our two front men from the bench and Andy King any of our midfielders. Maybury, Nils and Henderson would make up the bench.

Passing, energy, speed, strength, goals potential, creative ability What's the big problem compared with the mix-and-match alternatives?

That midfield is far far far far far too lightweight with this division.

It would have a very small chance of succeeding is Weso was playing with the lack of fear as before his operations but now?

No chance.

Play that 3 in midfield and you're immediately conceding initiative and relying on your back 4 and keeper to earn you a point.

So if Welsh and Hammond are "tracking back as appropriate", what's the difference between a 4-4-2 and a 4-2-4? They're just going to stand a bit further up the pitch and Welsh will have less ground to cover before running the ball out for a goal kick while Elvis will stand around unable to control a ball in a sort of inside right position instead of up front or on the right side of midfield.

You say Kisnorbo can't pass, McCarthy certainly can't, Stearman's not the greatest, of course Porter is Franz Beckenbauer but Hammond certainly can't.

What's the money on Sheehan making the bench or playing some part against Plymouth? :ph34r:

Thought there was sommat up with his foot/toe.

He won't displace Nils who has upped his game a bit. In fact, the defence seems to be where we have least problems.

I'd like to see Stearman playing week in week out at right back, mind.

That midfield is far far far far far too lightweight with this division.

It would have a very small chance of succeeding is Weso was playing with the lack of fear as before his operations but now?

No chance.

Play that 3 in midfield and you're immediately conceding initiative and relying on your back 4 and keeper to earn you a point.

Unlike RK I've got every faith in our back four, especially with wing-backs pushing on and especially if midfield can be supplemented by one of Hume/Hammond or Welsh.

Our major problem for 15 months has not been winning possession, it has been retaining it and this team could do that. Furthermore it could do what our team has never done consistently since Levein's arrival - it could push up.

The team is mobile and full of passers but more important, Plymouth would have far more to watch out for in defence than we usually give em and, for once, our attackers might get into the box in numbers.

In 12 of our 16 League games this season we've failed to score more than one goal which is broadly why we've not done ourselves justice. This approach would offer a chance to rectify that.

If we have a back line of three at any one time, since when has an opposing team attacked in greater numbers away from home. Not Plymouth as I recall. You say we'll be conceding the initiative but how's that?

Eight potential scorers (including Kisnorbo) but seven defensively capable players - what's wrong with that sort of balance in a home match?

What's the money on Sheehan making the bench or playing some part against Plymouth? :ph34r:

I don't actually see much point in putting him on the bench if you want to seize the initiative and play a genuinely attacking team.

It's not so much I'd want to drop Nils - he's been fine - it's that I'd want a new style of team to have its best chance and not to have to fight from a goal down or something.

Nils can't play wing-back and the notion of my sort of 4-2-4 requires that.

So if Welsh and Hammond are "tracking back as appropriate", what's the difference between a 4-4-2 and a 4-2-4? They're just going to stand a bit further up the pitch and Welsh will have less ground to cover before running the ball out for a goal kick while Elvis will stand around unable to control a ball in a sort of inside right position instead of up front or on the right side of midfield.

You say Kisnorbo can't pass, McCarthy certainly can't, Stearman's not the greatest, of course Porter is Franz Beckenbauer but Hammond certainly can't.

Kelly's never going to contemplate players who don't track back - and fair do's providing defenders do their bit and support attacks.

The big difference with wing backs - and Porter - is closer support for the likes of Welsh who often has too far to run and too little support when attacking, and an overlapping, or close supporting player, for Hammond to use if required.

The idea of having Elvis in a widish inside-right roll is to give him space to run into and to drag defenders a bit wider allowing Hume, Fryatt and Porter more room to exploit.

In essence you're right. This team plays further up the field whereas the Hughes/Johnson/Tiatto team sits further back and cannot easily move forward in unison at all.

Team:

Logan;

oh dear, you never heard of a counter attack ?! we would be struggling !! When an attack breaks down we would only have the 2 centre backs and weso in position 2 stop them :pinch:

From reading your post I presume this is how you want us 2 attack when in possession:

---------------------McCarthy---Kisnorbo

--------------------------Wesolowski

Stearman----------------Porter------------------Sheehan

Hammond-------Hume--------Fryatt-----------Welsh

Can you not see any problems we may face ? :whistle:

oh dear, you never heard of a counter attack ?! we would be struggling !! When an attack breaks down we would only have the 2 centre backs and weso in position 2 stop them :pinch:

I guess that's what I'm up against. Maybe it's so long since City fans watched a team of ours attacking.

a) Since when do both wing backs support at the same time? They work on a pivot really. So even in possession we'd have a minimum of four alert defenders, counting Weso.

b) Also our attacking players wouldn't all pile into the box at the same time - some would offer support outside the box and be well able to offer early help against a counter attack. Zonal systems encourage this anyway. It is just that the primary focus of support would be in our attacking half instead of the defensive half and midfield.

c) Which Championship sides to visit the Walkers have shown themselves keen to attack in a fast-countering force of more than four?. None that I've seen yet. Or would you leave the likes of Hume, Hammond, Fryatt, and Welsh to be coped with by a skeleton defence?.

It's true, the Academy push high and get caught on the break occasionally. About once every three or four goals on average!. And then they have to be bloody good goals.

Archived