Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Team for Plymouth

I guess that's what I'm up against. Maybe it's so long since City fans watched a team of ours attacking.

a) Since when do both wing backs support at the same time? They work on a pivot really. So even in possession we'd have a minimum of four alert defenders, counting Weso.

b) Also our attacking players wouldn't all pile into the box at the same time - some would offer support outside the box and be well able to offer early help against a counter attack. Zonal systems encourage this anyway. It is just that the primary focus of support would be in our attacking half instead of the defensive half and midfield.

c) Which Championship sides to visit the Walkers have shown themselves keen to attack in a fast-countering force of more than four?. None that I've seen yet. Or would you leave the likes of Hume, Hammond, Fryatt, and Welsh to be coped with by a skeleton defence?.

It's true, the Academy push high and get caught on the break occasionally. About once every three or four goals on average!. And then they have to be bloody good goals.

Fair enough, I agree with all those points. We would all like to see a winning team playing good, attacking football. Kelly obviously doesnt feel that with the personnel he has, that we can play attacking football and win. I suppose we have to respect his decision because he is in a much better position to judge. Its obvious though that we are a bit too negative in some games especially away from home. Its about finding the right balance between attack and defence.

I feel that your team is taking it to the other extreme. Though I do agree with you about having footballing full backs (ie not Kenton or Johansson)

My Team would be with everyone fit

Logan

Stearman Kisnorbo McCauley Nills Eric

Hughes Wesolowki Williams Tiatto

Hume and Fryatt

Subs

McCarthy Welsh Sylla O'Grady Hammond

But the team for leicester on saturday will be

Logan

Stearman Kisnorbo McCarthy Nills Eric

Sylla Johnson Weslowski Welsh

Hume Fryatt

Subs Mandaric

Logan

Stearman

Kisnorbo

McCarthy

Nisse

Sylla

Hughes

Wesolowski

Welsh

Huuuuume

Fryatt

Subs: Kenton, Hammond, Henderson, Porter, McAuley

:thumbup: That's what I want to see, with natural wingers too.

Time to discuss football, not finance. ;)

Logan

Stearman, McAuley, McCarthy, Johansson

Sylla, Wesolowski, Hughes, Welsh

Hume, Fryatt

Bench: Henderson, Kenton, Porter, Johnson, Hammond

With Tiatto out, Welsh should return on the left. Hopefully Wesolowski will start ahead of Johnson - probably not, unfortunately. I get the feeling Fryatt will start this one. McAuley will be replaced by Kisnorbo if Kisnorbo is fit to start - McAuley will be on the bench in that case. If Kisnorbo isn't fit, Kenton will be on the bench and McAuley will start.

Thoughts? :)

Tiatto in for Welsh for me. Welsh has looked very poor the last few games and I'd rather Tiatto play there like he did against Stoke where he had a brilliant game.

If Kisnorbo's fit I'd like him in for McAuley.

Tiatto is in suspenders.

:thumbsup:

Hence he was dropped from my line up. He's had some good games and doesn't deserve to be dropped. Ideally I'd have Tiatto in the middle (ahead of Hughes or Johnson) and Welsh on the left. But since he's suspended, he don't figure at all (that's why he didn't even make the bench). ;)

Come on guys, you should have known he was suspended - it was inevitable, really. :P

Hence he was dropped from my line up. He's had some good games and doesn't deserve to be dropped. Ideally I'd have Tiatto in the middle (ahead of Hughes or Johnson) and Welsh on the left. But since he's suspended, he don't figure at all (that's why he didn't even make the bench). ;)

Come on guys, you should have known he was suspended - it was inevitable, really. :P

Personally I'd have had Tiatto in there but y'know... :whistle:

He's done well to get to November without a suspension IMO. :D

Fair enough, I agree with all those points. We would all like to see a winning team playing good, attacking football. Kelly obviously doesnt feel that with the personnel he has, that we can play attacking football and win. I suppose we have to respect his decision because he is in a much better position to judge. Its obvious though that we are a bit too negative in some games especially away from home. Its about finding the right balance between attack and defence.

I feel that your team is taking it to the other extreme. Though I do agree with you about having footballing full backs (ie not Kenton or Johansson)

Leesoh also talks about the right balance - lots of our fans have tried to suggest balanced teams - and they are right, we do need balance. My idea of balance, with wing-backs is, I agree, more radical than most and I don't present it as an idea written in stone.

I can't remember the exact numbers but, as home team against Plymouth, I think there were seven attack-capable players in my selection alongside six defence capable players. Whatever the numbers I know there was only a bias of one player in favour of added attack.

If that balance were adjusted away from home to err by one player in the other direction I would understand and accept it. It wouldn't be my choice mind but I wouldn't object. So...balance aplenty.

That level of attacker was never the case at Wednesday, Luton, Burnley West Brom second half when we surrendered, Birmingham til the end, QPR after we'd scored or at other times I could detail.

I've gone for wing-backs because its a system I believe in, because it's exciting, because it encourages us to dictate the game and because I've seen an alternative in action for 15 months and don't like it.

With different players I might think differently. But what I've aimed to do within the system is not only change the emphasis from negative to positive but to negate as many of our long-standing weaknesses as possible and to increase our goals potential.

Do I think it's a surefire winner? No. I think it is a worthwhile basis for genuine progress which the present system is not. It would also cog in more broadly with the Academy/Reserves approach or pressing forward, which makes sense.

I don't doubt snags would arise. And, If that proved so, adjustments would need to be made, either to the players approach, the players used, or the system - but always using players who pass, support and who have individual strengths.

Happily, even as it stands, readjusting to 4-4-2 or almost any other system would be dead easy with those players because they do pass and support in the main while, with the Sheffield sort of line up, there were so few realistic options other than containment while hoping for a lucky break.

You say one must respect Kelly's viewpoint and I understand that.

But I'd find that idea easier if RK ever tried the alternatives, if he ever selected a genuinely attacking side, if he ever used an alternative system, if he ever attempted to mend our enduring weaknesses, assuming he even sees them as weaknesses.

Sooner or later all managers need to explore the possibilities, test the limits of their own players and explore the parameters of their squad.

But can anyone honestly say those thing happen?. They should. Because it isn't as if we've ever been sitting anywhere near the top of the League.

Logan

Kenton, McAuley, McCarthy, Johansson

Stears, Wesolowski, Hughes, Welsh

Hume, Fryatt

Wouldn't surprise me if that were the team....7 defenders and 4 attackers for a home game, giving half a point each to Stears and Hughes as attackers. Frightening.

Van der Sar

Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Heinze

Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs

Rooney, Saha

6 defenders - frightening.

Cech

Ferreira, Terry, Carvalho, Cole

Ballack, Essien, Makelele, Lampard

Drogba, Schevchenko

7 defenders... frightening.

Reina

Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise

Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso, Garcia

Crouch, Kuyt

7 defenders.. frightening?

Van der Sar

Rooney, Saha

Cech

Drogba, Schevchenko

Reina

Crouch, Kuyt

:appl::worship:

Van der Sar

Rooney, Saha

Cech

Drogba, Schevchenko

Reina

Crouch, Kuyt

Some people simply don't want to take off the blinkers....they'd sell you sand in the desert.

It's the proportion of defensively capable players to attackingly capable players that matters.

In a utopian world you'd have 10 players who can do both. It isn't a utopian world.

But let's take the United line-up: Six defenders including goalkeeper ....but seven attackers. Give me that at Leicester and I'll be perfectly happy.

Then look at Chelsea:

Seven defenders....at least six attackers.

Same with Liverpool.

But Leicester? Who the hell plays seven defenders and four attackers at home? Frightening!!!

He's done well to get to November without a suspension IMO. :D

Since he's playing pretty well the rest of the time, I'm starting to love the occasional comedy tackles and heart-stopping passes. Kind of like a Championship Titus Bramble, only not quite so calamitous. Plus the 'French ****' insult was an inadvertent stab of comedic genius.

Since he's playing pretty well the rest of the time, I'm starting to love the occasional comedy tackles and heart-stopping passes. Kind of like a Championship Titus Bramble, only not quite so calamitous. Plus the 'French ****' insult was an inadvertent stab of comedic genius.

Interesting first sentence that could apply the other way too .... heart-stopping tackles and comedy passes! :D:D:D

I know what you mean though - he's like a wind up toy, once the spring's loaded you can't stop him - and he's becoming something of a cult personality in a team which is a lot more function than flair.

We ought to have a chant to celebrate his top tackles...

Logan

Stearman

Kisnorbo

McCarthy

Nisse

Sylla

Hughes

Wesolowski

Welsh

Huuuuume

Fryatt

Subs: Kenton, Hammond, Henderson, Porter, McAuley

I would go with that if Kisnorbo is fit. Tough game tomorow and i hope we are up for it and dont have our minds on the takeover. Hopefully Kelly will be able to bring in a couple of decent loan deals soon to bolster the squad. Get Alan Smith in :ph34r: Cardiff and Leeds are in talks with him! Go for it Kelly

Archived