Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jumbo mills

caretaker manager's

I was expecting Stowell to be championed as caretaker after his demolition of that team in pre-season. :ph34r:

Didn't we take it 5-0? That's my kind of football! :D :D :D

He did indeed manage the game against Hinckley. And the tactics he used couldn't possibly be mistaken for those he's been party to with the first team.

How much influence he has on first team tactics I don't know but if the approach is contrary to his beliefs he should have quit long ago. By staying as part of the team there's no way he escapes some of the responsibily.

Being a manager is partly about conviction. Anyone can have conviction in games that don't matter.

He did indeed manage the game against Hinckley. And the tactics he used couldn't possibly be mistaken for those he's been party to with the first team.

How much influence he has on first team tactics I don't know but if the approach is contrary to his beliefs he should have quit long ago. By staying as part of the team there's no way he escapes some of the responsibily.

Being a manager is partly about conviction. Anyone can have conviction in games that don't matter.

Now we're getting somewhere. It's very easy for Stowell to tell a bunch of kids to attack all game at Hinckley but it's a different kettle of fish when he's faced with assisting a manager against a Championship team who are, in contrast, not vastly inferior to ourselves.

I'm the last person who will defend Kelly's team selection or "tactics" but surely all that talk of "a Stowell team" in pre-season is discredited now. A lot of people are saying that Kelly is no different from Levein when in fact Stowell certainly holds a lot more influence over Kelly than Kelly ever did over Levein.

are we all at fault with rk, when cl left he benefited from caretaker manager syndrome i.e the players respond to someone else, so all the fans think kelly is the best manager since martin o'neill. which he clearly isnt. so the message is when kelly gets the sack if we get a caretaker, could be mike stowell if he has the caretaker syndrome which i hope he does so we are clear of relegation no one clamour for his appointment

EVERY (and thats no understatement) manager since MON left has been the "new MON" when the first start.

Peter Taylor - Yes the man who fuked us up in the first place and even though it was all those years ago he is prehaps some part to blame for our current posistion, When he first start he got us to the top of the Prem - He was considered our "new MON"

Micky Adams - He started and was considered the "new MON"

Craig Levein - He started he was recommened by MON and was the called the "new MON"

Rob Kelly - He started did really well and some considered him the "new MON"

I can categorically state that if it's a new MON we're after, Dowie isn't our man. :thumbup:

Being a bit unfair on Dowie I feel, LWICD. His managerial record isn't as bad as some posters paint it.

His first job at Oldham resulted in him taking them to the second division play-offs in his first full season, despite the fact that they were almost bankrupt.

His second job at Palace resulted in him taking a relegation threatened team into the Premiership within seven months,

Alright, he couldn't keep them up although they only went down on the last day of the season, but it was obvious that Palace were ill-equipped to survive anyway. In any event, when Watford go down this season I'm sure Aidy Boothroyd won't be classed as a failure for doing the same. It's virtually the same scenario.

And how many mangers can pick up their side and return to the Premiership at the first attempt? Charlton deserve to go down for appointing then sacking someone after 12 league games. His only crime is that he wasn't Alan Curbishley. Even Curbishley had bad runs in his time at the club.

Iain Dowie was once touted as one of the most promising young managers in the country. He has premiership experience as a player and manager and has had success with more than one club, which I think is important. We should welcome him with open arms if that is what Mandaric wants.....given the other names touted on this board perhaps we should drag him through the door before any of them ever get near the place.

Compared to some of the alternatives, sure, he's probably a better option.

But with a bit of ambition and the cash to back it up, we can always try for another manager.

I'm sure Dowie's a nice bloke and all that, and his record isn't quite sh/t (though it's not exactly pukka in the top flight) but I'd prefer someone else. I wouldn't be best pleased about Dowie being appointed but if that's what happens, I'll back him. :thumbup:

Still think there's similar options out there - Worthington promoted Norwich. Worthington has a win record of about 38% (Soccerbase) to Dowie's 39% wins (soccerbase). Worthington achieved it over 414 games, Dowie over just 222. :thumbup:

Meanwhile, Aidy Boothroyd has also managed a 39% record (Soccerbase) over 77 games.

Basically in terms of wins, the three are about equal, but Worthington has been doing it much longer. ;)

Not suggesting Worthington is the answer, but he's one of a raft of potential answers. :thumbup:

i seen the goals on sky earlier and to say its down to wonderstrikes and the ref sorry no way, their goal from OUR kickoff what was all that about, no closing them down in midfield in the build up to it. Its like we gifted them the goal to make a point.

oops forgot my main point, which was these players arent playing for kelly.

Still think there's similar options out there - Worthington promoted Norwich. Worthington has a win record of about 38% (Soccerbase) to Dowie's 39% wins (soccerbase). Worthington achieved it over 414 games, Dowie over just 222. :thumbup:

Meanwhile, Aidy Boothroyd has also managed a 39% record (Soccerbase) over 77 games.

Basically in terms of wins, the three are about equal, but Worthington has been doing it much longer. ;)

Not suggesting Worthington is the answer, but he's one of a raft of potential answers. :thumbup:

Say NO to Dowie :ph34r:

And anyway, when did Louise die and ask you to take over?? You're not Statto, just an imitation :P

But lwicd, you've pointed people towards the future: Boothroyd. Get him in. The Watford fans love him and I also think he's a great gaffer meself :cool:

Worthington is also a good bet for me, he's a wily old fox and has been doing the business for a while now. Another club wouldn't hurt him :ph34r:;)

Say NO to Dowie :ph34r:

And anyway, when did Louise die and ask you to take over?? You're not Statto, just an imitation :P

Precisely.

As for Louise... we're in different fields (more's the pity). lol:ph34r:

I am a "Statto" of sorts, it is my degree after all... lol

But I'm less the sporting facts and stats person, and more a regression analysis man. :thumbup:

Precisely.

As for Louise... we're in different fields (more's the pity). lol:ph34r:

I am a "Statto" of sorts, it is my degree after all... lol

But I'm less the sporting facts and stats person, and more a regression analysis man. :thumbup:

Which is why regression analysis would be your Mastermind topic?? :P

Don't try to steal Louise's thunder, apply for a job working with LCFC's financial statistics or something. :thumbup:lol

I can't match Louise's fact finding skills and ability to generate interesting stats, and I wouldn't think of stealing her thunder. Louise can have that field to herself if she likes. :P

Mostly because I can't be bothered to look for real numbers, so I usually just make numbers up instead. :P

The stats I used to argue the Worthington/Dowie/Boothroyd corners are kosher, though. ;)

I can't match her fact finding skills and interesting stats, and I wouldn't think of stealing her thunder. She can have that field to herself if she likes. :P

Mostly because I can't be bothered, so I usually just make them up instead. :P

The stats I used to argue the Worthington/Dowie/Boothroyd corners are kosher, though. ;)

Yes, and not pucca as you used already on here. I hate that word, reminds me of Jamie "The willy puller"Oliver :mad:

Good to see we have 1 reliable statistician on here though, 'cos we can't trust you all the time lol:P

Fuzzy numbers are your friend. :thumbup:

Well they are after I've doctored them for you. :P:smile::ph34r:

I would never pay you to look at any numbers for me. Nor should anybody else. You're a liability son. An amusing one, but a liability all the same :P:ph34r:

Archived