Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ajax Treesdown

Paddy Mac went psycho!

I don't think he's a bad player either. He's a good right back. Whether he can be a good left-back I don't know but he's played there in the past if memory serves.

Depends what you accept as being "good" I suppose. I fully accept that he played well yesterday and if he can do as well as he did at right back when at his best then there won't be a problem. I have some doubts, especially going forward, but will be happy to be convinced otherwise.

Maybury played in most of our best attacking successes last season and I am a big believer in fast or fastish full-backs. He manages to stay on the field and avoid unnecessary bookings which is another plus.

What he's not is a midfield player, anymore than Stearman.

He gets caught out on the left at times, but that's understandable. As for right back, I think that because he's been covering Stearman's arse, he's been caught out a few times, and I suppose people find it easier to blame him as he's the senior pro and all that. At the end of last season, that overlapping that the two had seemed to work, one would cover for the other, but that hasn't materialised this season. There's a guy behind me who goes on about Maybury getting a nosebleed whenever he goes forward, but that is so untrue. Given the quality in front of him, he gets forward quicker than Grayson did in '94 at Wembley.

He looked quite accomplished on the ball at times yesterday, didn't panic or anything. I was quite impressed, to be fair. A highlight from the game. :thumbup:

McAuley (note the spelling ;)) is supposed to be one of the calmest players we have.

I have high hopes for the lad. I'd very much like him to get another run in the team at CB - it sounded like he'd done well when he has had a run there. :)

Maybury's alright a right back at this level, but he wont be playing for ever and players like Stearman wont develop without games.

One thing is for certain though, Alan Maybury is no left back, his positioning when playing left back is poor, and his left foot is not good enough.

I made a post about Paddy but it got deleted during that attempted upgrade.

He's a bad loser whether it be a first team game 4-1 or a training game. I've seen him verbally attack Henderson following a mistake in a training match which lead to a late equaliser being scored and it took him a few minutes before he went up and shook hands with him. It may be viewed as a negative thing but I don't think he would've made it as far as he has so far in his career without the attitude because at times it makes up for his lack of natural ability.

Don't know if this has already been put in here but

I have been told that Paddy came into the changing room blamed Logan for losing the game and Logan punched him. After the sheff wed game.

This was from someone who didn't know these rumours and works down the traning ground.

Ironically, I hadn't read this when I made my comment in the Henderson thread about Logan/McCarthy.

This idea of blasting a youngster seems to be a charactistic of the more senior players.

There was Hughes and Sheehan, McCarthy and Porter a couple of games ago, Tiatto rollocked Logan when Tiatto got caught not knowing what to do in the penalty box and now there's this mention of Logan/McCArthy.

If that comment was made and Logan whacked him then McCarthy would have got what he deserved.

But if he did he'll be out for ages and, in fact, might just as well leave now.

McCarthy's a big influence. Came out in favour of Kelly being manager for a start.

And clearly he's a competitive bloke who's 100% for the cause. In that way I like him.

But just like Tiatto, he's a bit of a headless chicken at times. And as such puts pressure on the team.

McCarthy's sending off hardly helped in any way against Sheffield but generally, his distribution is so poor, he is hardly in a position to criticise anyone.

Kisnorbo/McAuley are both far more likely to stay on the field and, I suspect, will do their criticising in a more constructive way.

Archived