Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Louise

Porter Signs Contract

I think it's good news for the club. He's provided us with that balance on the left that no one else has.

He's a tidy player with good vision and distribution. He's not the quickest, however, he's nippy with his feet and gets himself in to good positions.

He can only get better.

Which leads me to ask your opinion then as to why Dodds and King have had no opportunity to prove their abilities at first team level yet proven failures like Low. Sylla, Welsh have had many chances and now, I imagine, Cadamarteri, will get his?

I would say that you've picked your examples quite selectively there. Anyway, if King is viewing central midfield as his preferred role and not the right wing then his chances will be limited at our club at present because we do have a decent group of central midfielders here minus Andy Johnson. I wouldn't pick King ahead of Williams, Hughes or Wesolowski at present because I think they've all shown (Wesolowski in small bursts) that they are good midfielders at this level.

For Dodds, all I can say is if he can't get a chance at first team level but Chris O'Grady can then that doesn't look good for him. O'Grady's shown that you don't even have to be that amazing to get a chance at Leicester at this time in our history so if Dodds hasn't been able to then it's a bad job on his part. 'The most natural finisher at the club' he may be but you'd think you'd need to show more to your game than that to be a success in the Championship. When I've watched in training before, Hammond stood out for his pace, O'Grady for his strength, Hume shot power, work-rate, Fryatt for his anticipaction and movement with the ball but Dodds didn't really stand out from the others in the group of strikers. He could do with something else in his locker other than finishing because time and space aren't that easy to come by.

I would say that you've picked your examples quite selectively there. Anyway, if King is viewing central midfield as his preferred role and not the right wing then his chances will be limited at our club at present because we do have a decent group of central midfielders here minus Andy Johnson. I wouldn't pick King ahead of Williams, Hughes or Wesolowski at present because I think they've all shown (Wesolowski in small bursts) that they are good midfielders at this level.

For Dodds, all I can say is if he can't get a chance at first team level but Chris O'Grady can then that doesn't look good for him. O'Grady's shown that you don't even have to be that amazing to get a chance at Leicester at this time in our history so if Dodds hasn't been able to then it's a bad job on his part. 'The most natural finisher at the club' he may be but you'd think you'd need to show more to your game than that to be a success in the Championship. When I've watched in training before, Hammond stood out for his pace, O'Grady for his strength, Hume shot power, work-rate, Fryatt for his anticipaction and movement with the ball but Dodds didn't really stand out from the others in the group of strikers. He could do with something else in his locker other than finishing because time and space aren't that easy to come by.

I would say the reason COG has been given a chance and Dodds hasn't is because COG is a big man with strength, something none of our strikers have.

Glad I asked. I've not made it down to watch a training session yet so your insight is especially interesting and your conclusion about Dodds so right - he simply doesn't catch the eye much until he scores.

It's so ironic that others who sometimes do catch the eye but never score get the nod ahead of someone who has the priceless gift of delivering what football is all about. Funny world.

As for King he always seems to operate from right midfield when I've seen him. You're spot on about Williams, Hughes and Wesolowski being decent enough midfielders - and it's not just Kelly who rates them, many of our fans do too, so King's case looks hopeless.

Trouble is the facts and figures don't add up and at least one of those three will have to make way if we're going to progress because, good or not, that lot will struggle to muster 10 goals a season between them and we can't carry on like that.

Last season Williams scored twice in 30 games, Hughes four times in 31 and Weso didn't score at all in three...a total of 6 goals between them in League and Cup from 64 games.

Anyone doubting why we're short of fire power should look at those facts cos I doubt it'll be any better this season.

King, meanwhile, probably has more shots per minute on the pitch than any other three City midfielders at any level combined. But because he plays at Reserve and Academy level it is hard to make his case.

With Levi, people knew him and just grumbled, wrongly it would seem. that he was too small and not strong enough.

King doesn't even get a critical writedown, though he does have his faults, because so few fans would even recognise him if he was seated next to them.

I'd love the OS to give us an analytical breakdown of how many times King gets into the penalty box in a game - they could use the FA Youth Cup defeat against Wolves as an example - and then compare those figures with anyone else. They could also look at shots on target/off target and headed shots.

It would make dramatic reading in my view.

Yet we don't even put the bloke on the bench to stand alongside people who score six goals in a 64 match season. It makes no sense to me because what we've got right can only do part of the job that's required.

And the sooner we recognise that the better.

Thrac - your 64 game theory is completely wrong.

You can't add up the games that Williams, Hughes and Weso have played and say that they have scored 6 in 64 games.

It's a well known fact that if you have a prolific strike partnership up front, and 2 strikers (e.g Saha and Rooney at Man U) score hatfuls of goals between them, they don't add the games together. For example, if Rooney and Saha played 10 games together and got a goal each in each match - the stats would say that they scored 20 goals (between them) in 10 games. It would NOT say that they scored 20 goals in 20 games, as you are suggesting.

Thrac - your 64 game theory is completely wrong.

You can't add up the games that Williams, Hughes and Weso have played and say that they have scored 6 in 64 games.

It's a well known fact that if you have a prolific strike partnership up front, and 2 strikers (e.g Saha and Rooney at Man U) score hatfuls of goals between them, they don't add the games together. For example, if Rooney and Saha played 10 games together and got a goal each in each match - the stats would say that they scored 20 goals (between them) in 10 games. It would NOT say that they scored 20 goals in 20 games, as you are suggesting.

Break it down individually if you prefer...

Williams played in 30 League/Cup games last season and scored twice.

Hughes played in 31 League/Cup games last season and scored four times.

Wesolowski didn't score.

Any way you look at it that's not enough goals from central midfield and it will do us no good to pretend otherwise.

Break it down individually if you prefer...

Williams played in 30 League/Cup games last season and scored twice.

Hughes played in 31 League/Cup games last season and scored four times.

Wesolowski didn't score.

Any way you look at it that's not enough goals from central midfield and it will do us no good to pretend otherwise.

You did not include Tiatto, though not sure if the goals he scored where at LM

Nicely done... Levi is an important player to our side and will be a great asset for the future.... :D :D

Now here's hoping Porter can convert his new found stability into confidence and goals.. ;)

Archived