Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Deleting/closing threads

I am predominantly a visitor to the LCFC section of the forum where, at the moment, there are a couple of rather bulky "sticky" threads on the takeover and transfer rumours.

I noticed when someone mentioned we might be looking at Hawley, it was immediately bunged into the transfer rumours thread. Similarly, the "Deal on Ice" thread went into the black hole of the Mandaric takeover sticky topic.

Keeping the board tidy is one thing, but I think this is going a bit far. I come on here (and suspect a lot of people do) mostly for the rumours. If we're going to sign Ronaldo, I want to see the thread. I don't want to have to wade through X number of pages of waffle (often straying way off topic) in the transfer rumours thread - I want to see it straight away.

Similarly, if the Mandaric deal is off then that is important news and worthy of a thread.

The users aren't stupid - if there are two threads on the same topic, no-one is really that bothered and one of them will die off. Anyway, most probably don't stay around much longer than a week or so anyway.

A further problem it causes is that it makes the board look stale. I like to look at the front page and see what new threads have come up. I think we lose a lot of that when they all get lumped into the sticky threads, so it makes the board look less popular than it probably is.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the board!

I am predominantly a visitor to the LCFC section of the forum where, at the moment, there are a couple of rather bulky "sticky" threads on the takeover and transfer rumours.

I noticed when someone mentioned we might be looking at Hawley, it was immediately bunged into the transfer rumours thread. Similarly, the "Deal on Ice" thread went into the black hole of the Mandaric takeover sticky topic.

Keeping the board tidy is one thing, but I think this is going a bit far. I come on here (and suspect a lot of people do) mostly for the rumours. If we're going to sign Ronaldo, I want to see the thread. I don't want to have to wade through X number of pages of waffle (often straying way off topic) in the transfer rumours thread - I want to see it straight away.

Similarly, if the Mandaric deal is off then that is important news and worthy of a thread.

The users aren't stupid - if there are two threads on the same topic, no-one is really that bothered and one of them will die off. Anyway, most probably don't stay around much longer than a week or so anyway.

A further problem it causes is that it makes the board look stale. I like to look at the front page and see what new threads have come up. I think we lose a lot of that when they all get lumped into the sticky threads, so it makes the board look less popular than it probably is.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the board!

The Hawley news had already been posted 4 times already, if it had been a genuine piece of transfer news it would have stayed seperate, as for the Deal on Ice topic, which had also been posted several times in the Manaric thread just ended up regurgitating stuff that had already been said literally 100 times before already.

Important and potentially factually information re the Manadaric deal is also posted in the other sticky.

Your view that duplicate threads will die is not born out by actuality.

Some of us also get just as annoyed to see literally the same piece of information posted as a new topic sometimes 4/5 times within the the space of a couple of hours - sure it can happen now and again but people obviously don't look to see what's posted before they start a new topic.

All we are trying to do is keep a balance, and we recognise it is impossible to please everyone.

He does have a point. I now have to go to another forum to find out the news about the Mandaric deal because I haven't got the time to trawl through hundreds of pages to find out the latest goings on.

When something big happens, for example Milan putting talks on hold because of his sick mother, it should be in a new thread.

And surely this forum has grown so much in members etc that you can afford to have seperate sub sections in the Leicester City forum, for example, "Transfer News", "Takeover", etc etc

He does have a point. I now have to go to another forum to find out the news about the Mandaric deal because I haven't got the time to trawl through hundreds of pages to find out the latest goings on.

When something big happens, for example Milan putting talks on hold because of his sick mother, it should be in a new thread.

And surely this forum has grown so much in members etc that you can afford to have seperate sub sections in the Leicester City forum, for example, "Transfer News", "Takeover", etc etc

I refer you to my statements.

Deal on Ice topic, which had also been posted several times in the Manaric thread just ended up regurgitating stuff that had already been said literally 100 times before already.
Important and potentially factually information re the Manadaric deal is also posted in the other sticky. The Deal on Ice still being the last 'real piece of news on this subject' Link

If you also use the feature 'View New Posts' you wont have to trawl through pages of old news, this would also prevent people starting duplicate topics.

The problem is that many members can't even be arsed to check previous pages anymore. They see the first page and go "Oh, nothing on there yet!" or fail to see transfer rumour threads.

I must admit, that happens to me at times, too.

Should use the "Search" mode more often, I guess.

The only thing I kind of see as an odd manoeuver is the constant name alterations of certain threads. Makes it sometimes difficult to retrieve them.

The problem is that many members can't even be arsed to check previous pages anymore. They see the first page and go "Oh, nothing on there yet!" or fail to see transfer rumour threads.

I must admit, that happens to me at times, too.

Should use the "Search" mode more often, I guess.

The only thing I kind of see as an odd manoeuver is the constant name alterations of certain threads. Makes it sometimes difficult to retrieve them.

It's not just me thats been told to post Mandaric threads as a post in the Mandaric threads.. :dunno:

But i've been told to post all Mandaric posts in the stickies, instead of making new topics. So why are there two Mandaric posts floating around in the Leicester City Forum?

Archived