Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dandannieldanok

Stephen Hughes

I'm not sure about his contract situation but for me the period from now until May will act as his chance to prove himself. When he arrived he had the excuse of injuries and has had the excuse of being played out of position this season. Up until now that is. With him expected to play central midfield and surely now not dogged with any more injuries, for me anyway he must start showing his worth.

I'm not sure about his contract situation but for me the period from now until May will act as his chance to prove himself. When he arrived he had the excuse of injuries and has had the excuse of being played out of position this season. Up until now that is. With him expected to play central midfield and surely now not dogged with any more injuries, for me anyway he must start showing his worth.

Im not too sure if it is make or break for him now that Williams has disapeared as he probably has less competition. I must admit I would like him to have a run from central midfield as the boy can pass the ball but as you say he needs to steer clear of injuries. After reading the OS today I presume he will be playing alongside the Horses` bestist mate Andy Johnson? :dunno:

The thing is, I think Hughes best position in this country is at right wing. I don't think he's strong enough to play central midfield, especially when he comes up against a dominant midfield/er. Now we've signed 2 wingers and already have Porter as first choice on the left, it seems he'll be moving back in to the centre. I just hope he can stamp his authority on games. We need him to chip in with some more goals, he's due a few match winners like last season.

The thing is, I think Hughes best position in this country is at right wing. I don't think he's strong enough to play central midfield, especially when he comes up against a dominant midfield/er. Now we've signed 2 wingers and already have Porter as first choice on the left, it seems he'll be moving back in to the centre. I just hope he can stamp his authority on games. We need him to chip in with some more goals, he's due a few match winners like last season.

Thing is, though, what other option have we got unless we play two defensive midfielders or, whisper it, Andy King. :ph34r:

He definately needs some muscle next to him to win the ball as he is at times a bit flimsy. Maybe Johnson will get the call :cry:

I presume you mean phsically weak, is he any weaker than Williams though?

To be fair Hughes isn't the greatest of players but he's miles better in the middle than he is on the right. He's basically useless out on the wing. Now he should hopefully be moved into the centre where he is most comfortable. His best performances come from there.

To be fair Hughes isn't the greatest of players but he's miles better in the middle than he is on the right. He's basically useless out on the wing. Now he should hopefully be moved into the centre where he is most comfortable. His best performances come from there.

:(

You are very positive... :unsure:

If anyone thinks Stephen Hughes in the answer to our creativity from midfield then they must be mad. He just doesn't get forward enough to weigh in with enough goals, and many of his passes go backwards or sideways.

Thats why Kelly's just brought wingers and a target man, they'll be little incisive passing- it'll go to the wings or lumped up to the big man. And tbh with the options we've got, it's probably our best bet...

If anyone thinks Stephen Hughes in the answer to our creativity from midfield then they must be mad. He just doesn't get forward enough to weigh in with enough goals, and many of his passes go backwards or sideways.

I agree with you mate, but I am prepared to give him until the end of this season to try and show his worth. I do feel sorry for him slightly being told to play somewhere that you know isn't your best position.

Thats why Kelly's just brought wingers and a target man, they'll be little incisive passing- it'll go to the wings or lumped up to the big man. And tbh with the options we've got, it's probably our best bet...

But is he worse than Wiiliams was, who hardly ever got forward, rarely scored and whose passing, although deemed to be better than most was in the main fairly illusive.

But is he worse than Wiiliams was, who hardly ever got forward, rarely scored and whose passing, although deemed to be better than most was in the main fairly illusive.

No.

I honestly think, like Williams, he'll do better in a Prem team. Williams out or not, I still think we needed to purchase or loan a CM in the transfer window.

The alternatives would be King or Porter in the middle but I can't see Kelly using either in that role...

Gareth Williams' creativity was a myth for me. One goal so far this season playing in his natural position and three for Hughes mostly playing on the right (Hughes played more games but if Williams was so good how come he only managed one goal?). Gareth Williams prefers to sit in front of the back four and atempt to spray balls to all areas of the pitch. Didn't really work imo.

Gareth Williams' creativity was a myth for me. One goal so far this season playing in his natural position and three for Hughes mostly playing on the right (Hughes played more games but if Williams was so good how come he only managed one goal?). Gareth Williams prefers to sit in front of the back four and atempt to spray balls to all areas of the pitch. Didn't really work imo.

Nowhere in my post did I say anything about Gareth Williams. Personally I think he was a better player than Hughesy but there in't much in it.

We needed a new CM but we haven't got one. I'd rather make the most of Porter and/or King, Hughes has had enough time to prove himself now.

I reckon this is about right, Hughes chases back but ducks out of challenges and every game i've seen him in he has ran out of steam, I personally think he is better on the right wing, but hopefully one of the new boys will play there.

RK is never going to put King in or Gradel or Porter in the middle

I think RK is thinking something alogn the lines of Yeates/Luigi - Tiatto/Weso Hume/Hughes - Porter

we have several hundred strikers now so Hume can drop back

I reckon this is about right, Hughes chases back but ducks out of challenges and every game i've seen him in he has ran out of steam, I personally think he is better on the right wing, but hopefully one of the new boys will play there.

RK is never going to put King in or Gradel or Porter in the middle

I think RK is thinking something alogn the lines of Yeates/Luigi - Tiatto/Weso Hume/Hughes - Porter

we have several hundred strikers now so Hume can drop back

Where on earth do you come up with the notion that a misfirning Iain Hume should now be transplanted in to an already struggling midfield and play in a position he isn't good enough for?

:blink::dunno::blink:

Stephen Hughes has given this Club far more than Gareth Williams ever did and for a lot less money.

He is easily our best midfielder but with the pish (injury damaged Wesolowski aside) that is left around him now he'll become the new scapegoat as he is still a Levein man.

Stephen Hughes has given this Club far more than Gareth Williams ever did and for a lot less money.

He is easily our best midfielder but with the pish (injury damaged Wesolowski aside) that is left around him now he'll become the new scapegoat as he is still a Levein man.

The way you phrase it, you make him sound like he's a very good player. And you're not kidding anyone. The midfield, of which he's been part in most games this season, has been complete 'pish' as you phrase it. Granted, he's better than Low, Welsh, Johnson, Sylla and arguably Porter and Weso, but it doesn't say much about Hughes to compare him with that lot.

The way you phrase it, you make him sound like he's a very good player. And you're not kidding anyone. The midfield, of which he's been part in most games this season, has been complete 'pish' as you phrase it. Granted, he's better than Low, Welsh, Johnson, Sylla and arguably Porter and Weso, but it doesn't say much about Hughes to compare him with that lot.

You're doing it, I never said he was a world beater, but value for money and comapred to the rest he deserves a damn sight more credit than he gets.

CL left us more than Hughes as "his man" as we still have some Hearts players here and I wouldnt trade Kisnorbo for any defender in this division! What a judge you were Craig lol

The Rangers fans rate Hughes when he first burst on the scent but maybe injuries have harmed his career. Touch wood he stays injury free and does the business from the middle of the park.

CL left us more than Hughes as "his man" as we still have some Hearts players here and I wouldnt trade Kisnorbo for any defender in this division! What a judge you were Craig lol

The Rangers fans rate Hughes when he first burst on the scent but maybe injuries have harmed his career. Touch wood he stays injury free and does the business from the middle of the park.

Can't he do it on the toilet like the rest of us? :ph34r:

Archived