Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Majestic midfield

Behave with that comment. Check Fryatt's goal scoring record for academy and reserve level and you'll see an even better scoring record than Dodds at those levels.

Fryatt was devastating at youth level for club and country.

How much insurance will Fryatt's youth record give him?.

I've nothing against Fryatt when he's fit and in form - it just seems a long time since that was the case.

Hume is just the same really. What is it one goal in the last 16?.

Had Dodds scored one goal in six never mind 16 he'd have been hounded out no question.

But where Fryatt and Hume are concerned our fans seem prepared to wait forever rather than even hint at someone else getting a chance.

I'm sure someone could logically explain the reasons.

On the other hand Hammond is mocked mercilessly. Nearly twice as many goals as Fryatt, fit and available for lots more appearances and a consistent handful yet all his gets is pilloried. It was the same at Burnley.

Awful performance by everyone except Henderson and a few defenders.

But Hammond caused Burnley's defence more hassle in a few minutes - together with Hughes' passes - than the rest of the team all night. And out of the blue we pinch a goal, steal three points and Hammond gets mocked again for missing a one on one.

I've said it before. Fryatt misses a one on one - hard luck. Hammond misses and he's shit.

The truth is Fryatt looks like a footballer but has done sod all this season. Hammond looks like a donkey but has given his all.

How much insurance will Fryatt's youth record give him?.

I've nothing against Fryatt when he's fit and in form - it just seems a long time since that was the case.

Hume is just the same really. What is it one goal in the last 16?.

Had Dodds scored one goal in six never mind 16 he'd have been hounded out no question.

But where Fryatt and Hume are concerned our fans seem prepared to wait forever rather than even hint at someone else getting a chance.

I'm sure someone could logically explain the reasons.

On the other hand Hammond is mocked mercilessly. Nearly twice as many goals as Fryatt, fit and available for lots more appearances and a consistent handful yet all his gets is pilloried. It was the same at Burnley.

Awful performance by everyone except Henderson and a few defenders.

But Hammond caused Burnley's defence more hassle in a few minutes - together with Hughes' passes - than the rest of the team all night. And out of the blue we pinch a goal, steal three points and Hammond gets mocked again for missing a one on one.

I've said it before. Fryatt misses a one on one - hard luck. Hammond misses and he's shit.

The truth is Fryatt looks like a footballer but has done sod all this season. Hammond looks like a donkey but has given his all.

You might not like it, but the reason for this is because of past exploits. Reputation and what someone has achieved in the past, goes a long way here. Hume and Fryatt have both proved that they are quality at this level either last season or this season. Something Elvis Hammond hasn't done and Luis Dodds hasn't, although to be fair to Louis he hasn't had the chance and I wouldn't be one to criticise him should he get a brief chance.

This is the way the world works. If it didn't then past achievement would mean **** all, and without a sense of achievement and gaining recognition for it would be detrimental to human life.

I don't think the level of football explains the goals. You'd have painfully tight football matches in the old Southern and Midland Leagues as I remember or, today, in the Conference, matches are invariably close.

It's the unfettered approach to the Academy matches. There just isn't the fear factor because the emphasis is on performance rather than result. Teams therefore attack in far greater numbers without inhibition and defenders falter.

We have had many such teams in mainstream football (Manchester United's kids, Leeds and Liverpool of the 70's, Spurs of the 60's) but nowadays the financial gap between teams at the top and those at the bottom is so great now that teams at the bottom feel they have to hold on a pinch something when they meet top opposition and daren't lose when they play the bottom clubs. Vicious circle.

Few have the nerve or the skilled players to really attack every game. You cannot do it without the players and they have to run right through the team so your approach has to be pre-conceived.

Hence Beaglehole hardly changes his team and you know what the tactics will be fundamentally. The main characteristic of City's Academy side is the attack in serious numbers and to press those atacks for as long as possible.

The pressure comes not just from the numbers but from frontal ball-to-feet direct attacking of the penalty box and early balls into the box with pace from the flanks. The pressure is normally relentless whether we are winning or losing. It is an attitude of mind.

Transferred to senior football defenders would find it just as hard to cope (Leicester were overwhelmed at Burnley when the home side committed more men forward) but the risk factors mean, mostly, that it is only done to suit the situation rather than as a general policy.

Had Burnley attacked in numbers from the off and throughout Leicester would have faltered, I have no doubt. But they only really gave it their all when it was too late and Leicester somehow managed to cling on.

The pressure also come from having 20,000 impatient pi$$heads telling you exactly what to do for 90 minutes, or questioning your mothers sexual preferences when you play away. It comes from the fear of failure and the fear of being blamed and the fear of blowing you chance. It comes from being scared and unsure of you own ability at times, and it comes from being not quite a child and not quite an adult.

You might not like it, but the reason for this is because of past exploits. Reputation and what someone has achieved in the past, goes a long way here. Hume and Fryatt have both proved that they are quality at this level either last season or this season. Something Elvis Hammond hasn't done and Luis Dodds hasn't, although to be fair to Louis he hasn't had the chance and I wouldn't be one to criticise him should he get a brief chance.

This is the way the world works. If it didn't then past achievement would mean **** all, and without a sense of achievement and gaining recognition for it would be detrimental to human life.

Well, in the case of Fryatt I hope he regains his fitness which seems to be crucial to his regaining his form.

I wish people would be a bit more appreciative of what Hammond actually does instead of constantly knocking every effort he makes with resulting effect on his confidence and I wish Humey a plain and simple change of luck.

And I hope Dodds scores the goals I expect him to score at Rochdale (if he's ever picked) and then gets the chance he should have had months ago at Leicester.

laughing out loud out loud out loud...? :unsure:

I started laughing but it all went horribly wrong with the realisation that maybe Thracian wasnt joking. I ended up crying and I am now in rehab with Robbie Williams and Britney Spears. I hope Thracian is happy.

BTW I sent off an email to Barcelona and got one back.

Dear Mr Barcelona,

I know your club has produced some world class kids in your time with Lionel Messi being the latest but I cant remember you bringing through any British youngsters. In England, we have a scout called Lord Thracian and he knows when to spot a world-beater at a very early stage in a players development.

He is local to an area in England called Leicester and has infact stumbled across a few world class players who would be available to your club for no more than a few thousand euro`s. I suggest you contact him to hear his thoughts and maybe he can advise on how much to bid for these players.

Love Geo

and the response

Dear Geo,

Thank you for your email and interest in Futbol Club de Barcelona.

At Barcelona, we pride ourselves with having the best scouts in the world and have attraced players who have already gone on to achieve success in the game such as the likes of Fabregas, Reyna, Iniesta, Motta and as you mentioned Messi. We also have a young man on our books from Mexico called Giovanni dos Santos who will be the next world beater.

However, the man you suggest as a scout, Lord Thracian, is someone we are well aware of. We have researched his claims and unfortunately the findings were both staggering and disturbing. Lord Thracian has 6 wives and 28 mistresses and has fathered 129 children. They are a strange bunch, all living together on a farm on the outskirts of Leicestershire. the players that he has highlighted for greatness are actually his children. Melanie King (mother of Andrew), Josephine Gradel (mother of Max), Sara Tejan-sie (mother of Thomas) and Kathy Mattock (mother of Joe) are all children of Lord Thracian. There are unconfirmed reports that he is also the father of Billy McKay and Alex Cisak but both the aforementioned lads mothers have refused both the paternity test and a place on a show called Trisha.

Thank you once again for the information but at this stage we will not be following up your suggestion.

Many Thanks

I started laughing but it all went horribly wrong with the realisation that maybe Thracian wasnt joking. I ended up crying and I am now in rehab with Robbie Williams and Britney Spears. I hope Thracian is happy.

Dear Mr Barcelona,

I know your club has produced some world class kids in your time with Lionel Messi being the latest but I cant remember you bringing through any British youngsters. In England, we have a scout called Lord Thracian and he knows when to spot a world-beater at a very early stage in a players development.

He is local to an area in England called Leicester and has infact stumbled across a few world class players who would be available to your club for no more than a few thousand euro`s. I suggest you contact him to hear his thoughts and maybe he can advise on how much to bid for these players.

Love Geo

and the response

Dear Geo,

At Barcelona, we pride ourselves with having the best scouts in the world and have attraced players who have already gone on to achieve success in the game such as the likes of Fabregas, Reyna, Iniesta, Motta and as you mentioned Messi. We also have a young man on our books from Mexico called Giovanni dos Santos who will be the next world beater.

However, the man you suggest as a scout, Lord Thracian, is someone we are well aware of. We have researched his claims and unfortunately the findings were both staggering and disturbing. Lord Thracian has 6 wives and 28 mistresses and has fathered 129 children. They are a strange bunch, all living together on a farm on the outskirts of Leicestershire. the players that he has highlighted for greatness are actually his children. Melanie King (mother of Andrew), Josephine Gradel (mother of Max), Sara Tejan-sie (mother of Thomas) and Kathy Mattock (mother of Joe) are all children of Lord Thracian. There are unconfirmed reports that he is also the father of Billy McKay and Alex Cisak but both the aforementioned lads mothers have refused both the paternity test and a place on a show called Trisha.

Thank you once again for the information but at this stage we will not be following up your suggestion.

Many Thanks

brilliant :P:D:P the manuel pablo quote of the week should now become like the oscars and have lots of categories ; this should win best overall post

Dear Mr Barcelona,

Love Geo

and the response

Dear Geo,

Many Thanks

As a smokescreen for the continued campaigning on behalf of limited, past-it footballers and dourists that's pretty good and I WAS amused. :D

Is Thracian a real person? No-one can be this obsessed with a youth team. He has amassed 10,000+ posts and I'd hazard a guess that over 9,000 mention Dodds, King or Gradel.

Please, change the record.

Alternatively, could the mods set up a forum for Youth Team News and let him have free reign in there?

Every week I read suggestions about us signing just about every available player in the land, whether we actually need them or not.

And every so often we sign one or two.

Each time there's an announcement I think, great, someone to improve on what we've got.

But when they turn up - are they players who are designed to solve our problems .... no.

It is two years since we needed an attacking left back.

Two years since we needed an attacking midfielder.

A season since we've needed at least one new striker.

Yet those problems still exist.

If we'd get people in who were better than what we've got there would be no need to talk of youth players.

I'm just sick of seeing people who rarely create and rarely score getting in our team - and people calling them good players. Cos it's a big part of why we haven't been getting anywhere these last two or three years.

Archived