Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoeyB

Academy Fall At Villa

Academy Fall At Villa

Academy Fall At Villa

Leicester City's under 18 side went down 2-1 at Aston Villa on Saturday afternoon.

The Foxes took the lead early on through a Max Gradel penalty, but a goal in each half from the home side claimed the points.

Speaking after the game, Walkers Youth Academy manager Jon Rudkin said: "We started the game well and had two or three good chances in the early stages.

"Max gave us the lead from the spot, but we were unable to build on that advantage and Villa got themselves back into the game.

"Overall we were pleased with the way that we started the game, but were obviously left disappointed by the result."

Though I don't disagree, it was a penalty and all.

I'd bet on him winning it in the first place, and he scores/sets up goals week in week out anyway. If he had the chance to do it at Reserve team level (as he did last season) they'd be many more calls for his involvement.

One things for sure, Kelly is very picky when it comes to wingers. Glombard didn't get a look in, Smith got sent back to Arsenal, Sylla/Low/Welsh have had chances this season and all those have been shown the door, now it looks as if Yeates isn't in favour after a promising start.

No harm in getting Gradel involved while we continue to search for this Premiership winger.

I'd bet on him winning it in the first place, and he scores/sets up goals week in week out anyway. If he had the chance to do it at Reserve team level (as he did last season) they'd be many more calls for his involvement.

One things for sure, Kelly is very picky when it comes to wingers. Glombard didn't get a look in, Smith got sent back to Arsenal, Sylla/Low/Welsh have had chances this season and all those have been shown the door, now it looks as if Yeates isn't in favour after a promising start.

No harm in getting Gradel involved while we continue to search for this Premiership winger.

Maybe because they aren't/weren't good enough? What I saw of Glombard, no end product, haven't heard much about Smith ripping up trees at Derby, Low's gone back to his level, Welsh was awful during his most recent spell and wasn't amazing during his first and Sylla's back in Scotland which isn't surprising seeing as though he did little when playing for us.

Although he's not a winger in the same mold as Gradel, Porter has managed to nail down a place in the starting eleven but it could be the fact that he's a different kind of winger that has enabled him to do this.

They were bound to falter somewhere and experience defeat in the league. Still, that's not to say that they're going to become the first team, lose all momentum, have low morale and go on a relegation-like run of form in the next few games so they ruin what they've achieved thus far.

Maybe because they aren't/weren't good enough? What I saw of Glombard, no end product, haven't heard much about Smith ripping up trees at Derby, Low's gone back to his level, Welsh was awful during his most recent spell and wasn't amazing during his first and Sylla's back in Scotland which isn't surprising seeing as though he did little when playing for us.

Although he's not a winger in the same mold as Gradel, Porter has managed to nail down a place in the starting eleven but it could be the fact that he's a different kind of winger that has enabled him to do this.

You are right about Porter/Gradel.

First team wise Gradel presents a far greater risk. He has nothing like the positional awareness that Porter has when tracking back after City have lost the ball.

Positionally and energy-wise Porter is an excellent defender. He is willing and able to do the job and rarely ball-watches but forever has his head up to see the broader situation. He also has a natural ability to remain composed and thoughtful in defensive situations, mostly choosing exactly the right option.

Porter is also a passing winger. He does take players on sometimes but he doesn't have to do that to be effective and therefore the risk of losing the ball is reduced.

Gradel runs at people, takes them on and shoots on sight but is nothing like so aware or so comfortable in his tracking back.

They were bound to falter somewhere and experience defeat in the league. Still, that's not to say that they're going to become the first team, lose all momentum, have low morale and go on a relegation-like run of form in the next few games so they ruin what they've achieved thus far.

I'm just concerned that they might have seen the League table, realised the games are running out and just started to be a bit more restrained.

If that's the case, and I don't know cos it seems a long time since I've watched them with all the recent postponements, it won't work for them any more than for the first team.

In fact the danger is greater because the Academy doesn't have a particularly resilient defence anyway should they ever elect to go down the "what we have we hold" road.

Archived