Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Geo V

How many of our players would get into the D*rby side?

I keep being involved in threads where people keep slagging off how bad we have been during games and how bad Kelly is and all sorts but putting things into perspective, how many of our players would make it into a D*rby side who lets face it, started the season with similar aspirations to us(hence the thread question)??

I`d say one - Patrick Kisnorbo

Whilst we have bought in free transfers and loanees, D*rby have opted to spend money on failed Premier players like Bywater, Mears, McEveley, Teale, Leacock and Oakley in addition to some ambitious signings like Pearson and Jones. Obviously they have spent some decent transfer fees on some of the above but some of them didnt cost much at all in relative terms. Whilst we moan about our under-achievement I think its important to point the finger at the facts, we have a shite squad and IMO one of the worst in this division. Apart from maybe McAuley too, I cant think of many of our squad that would get into any of the sides that currently occupy the promotional and play-off places.

Also an idea at how strong the squad is can usually be gained by market value of players. Apart from Kisnorbo, I dont think that any other of our players can command a fee of £500k. Even the kids that have come through like Logan, Stearman, Levi and Weso havent set the world alight and arent worth much more than a couple of hundred grand combined. Embarassingly I think that the transfer fee that Billy Sharp can command this summer would be roughly what our first 11 is worth when you take the loanees out of the equation.

My point in this is that maybe we should lower our expectations with the current crop of donkeys we have. Maybe its been an OK season after all????

I keep being involved in threads where people keep slagging off how bad we have been during games and how bad Kelly is and all sorts but putting things into perspective, how many of our players would make it into a D*rby side who lets face it, started the season with similar aspirations to us(hence the thread question)??

Whilst we have bought in free transfers and loanees, D*rby have opted to spend money on failed Premier players like Bywater, Mears, McEveley, Teale, Leacock and Oakley in addition to some ambitious signings like Pearson and Jones. Obviously they have spent some decent transfer fees on some of the above but some of them didnt cost much at all in relative terms. Whilst we moan about our under-achievement I think its important to point the finger at the facts, we have a shite squad and IMO one of the worst in this division. Apart from maybe McAuley too, I cant think of many of our squad that would get into any of the sides that currently occupy the promotional and play-off places.

Also an idea at how strong the squad is can usually be gained by market value of players. Apart from Kisnorbo, I dont think that any other of our players can command a fee of £500k. Even the kids that have come through like Logan, Stearman, Levi and Weso havent set the world alight and arent worth much more than a couple of hundred grand combined. Embarassingly I think that the transfer fee that Billy Sharp can command this summer would be roughly what our first 11 is worth when you take the loanees out of the equation.

My point in this is that maybe we should lower our expectations with the current crop of donkeys we have. Maybe its been an OK season after all????

Good post :thumbup: i think your right we are shite and peoples expectations have been big this season (especially with the Milan business).

Even so though i think the squad we have is a top 10 squad cos the other teams are so bad more than anything.

I agree, we've got to start a clean slate this summer.

Sell all the poor/average players at the club. (Or release if quite rightly no one is interested in them).

And then obviously replace these players with quality, committed players.

I would get rid of the following;

Douglas, Kenton, McCarthy, Hughes, De Vries, Johnson, Hammond, Cadamarteri, Dodds. Would sign Newton permanently (as a squad player) but get rid of the other loanees.

Our squad really is poor right now, which is expected when you have no money.

But now we do - it's out with the old in with the new.

I agree, we've got to start a clean slate this summer.

Sell all the poor/average players at the club. (Or release if quite rightly no one is interested in them).

And then obviously replace these players with quality, committed players.

I would get rid of the following;

Douglas, Kenton, McCarthy, Hughes, De Vries, Johnson, Hammond, Cadamarteri, Dodds. Would sign Newton permanently (as a squad player) but get rid of the other loanees.

Our squad really is poor right now, which is expected when you have no money.

But now we do - it's out with the old in with the new.

Out of the list you mention, I would keep McCarthy and Kenton. Kenton is a squad player, and McCarthy does have a bit of potential he learns to curb his rashness.

I have doubts that any would.

I wouldn't spend big money on Kisnorbo, especially for the Premiership. You can't give the ball away as cheaply as him at that level. Kisnorbo is a reasonable championship player because his interceptions, his bravery and his reading of situations is quite good.

But he doesn't have great pace and his technique is such that I doubt he'll ever be a good passer. His goals have been a bonus but whether he can maintain that ratio I don't know.

For me Hume is our most valuable player because he's on target for 14/15 goals for the season in just about as poor an attacking side, and as little support as you can imagine.

In a better side he could score 18/20. He is perfectly capable of playing in the hole behind two forwards and even when he's not scoring you get 100% from Hume (as you do with Kisnorbo, I should add). He would make a good standbye for a better team than Leicester as well as potential first choice player.

Hume in today's market should rate £1.25/1.5m - he's certainly better than half as good as Connolly!

McAuley is difficult to assess. He's done well for Leicester but his lack of pace worries me even in the Championship and he's a one-position footballer whatever Kelly might think about his qualities as a full-back.

Kisnorbo might rate £750.000 to £1m and McAuley £500,000 but I doubt Derby would want either.

For me, and given his age, Porter would find it easiest to adjust to Premiership football. He just has the vital ingredient they need...the ability to retain the ball yet deliver telling passes.

Again, put him with good players and he would probably find the Premiership easier than the Championship because there is far more movement off the ball and Porter that will only benefit Porter's passing because too often his options are limited in the Leicester team.

Being right at the beginning of his career, obviously willing to learn, a willing and aware defender and an already fairly consistent performer and goal maker, Porter would rate £1.25m to £1.75m as indicated by the fact that opposition teams are already taking particular care to contain him. But whether Davies would want him in his picture is quite another matter.

Stearman's value has plummeted although as someone mentioned, a guy like MON could focus his attention. But, right now I'd say £400,000 would be a risk. With his aparent lack of focus this year Derby would never bite.

Fryatt too has lost most of his value and until his regains his fitnes and shows he can score goals even after people have assessed his style then, again, I'd say £0.5m would be generous. For me he's just too limited as a centre-forward to rate any higher. Davies would walk away.

McCarthy is a championship squad player at best.

I just hope the first thing our new manager does is take the captaincy off him, he is far from the finished article!

Paddy shouldn't play because he's captain he should play because he's good enough and imo this season he has been well below the standard I'd expect of a Leicester City Captain or any Championship Centre Back.

I have doubts that any would.

I wouldn't spend big money on Kisnorbo, especially for the Premiership. You can't give the ball away as cheaply as him at that level. Kisnorbo is a reasonable championship player because his interceptions, his bravery and his reading of situations is quite good.

But he doesn't have great pace and his technique is such that I doubt he'll ever be a good passer. His goals have been a bonus but whether he can maintain that ratio I don't know.

Why do you have such a thing against Kisnorbo? He's one of the best defenders in this division, he's quick, can tackle and is good in the air, and that's all a defender needs to be. So fooking what if he's not a great passer? As long as he stops the opposition from scoring, he's done his job.

If you've got someone like Rio Ferdinand who can pass the ball well, that's an added bonus, but it's not an essential skill for a defender.

I couldn't have explained it any better! Totally agree. There is a lot of work needed in the Summer, Derby for me are a great example of what we want to achieve in the summer! I've been very impressed with their commitment to a promotion push, they've spent money well and have benefited. I think Currie will also turn out to be a good signing! Lets not kid oursleves, they're far from a premiership outfit but they certainly have what it takes to gain promotion!

Hopefully we can experience similar instant success when we start to spent the cash! One thing worries me though, does Kelly have what it takes to follow in Davies footsteps!??

Being right at the beginning of his career, obviously willing to learn, a willing and aware defender and an already fairly consistent performer and goal maker, Porter would rate £1.25m to £1.75m as indicated by the fact that opposition teams are already taking particular care to contain him. But whether Davies would want him in his picture is quite another matter.

You are kidding right? Levi has done OK in his opening season but to rate him in a price bracket which would have bought you Pearson, McEveley and Teale is being silly. Yes he has potential and please god may he end up one day being worth what Heskey was when we sold him but he isnt worth £1.75m at this stage of his career.

To those who say we are a top ten side again I would beg to differ. We have plenty of potential in some of the younger players like Stearman, Levi, Weso, Fryatt and Logan but I wonder how many of these players would start at the begining of next season, now that we are meant to have a bob or two to fund bosmans, freebies, good player loans and smallish transfer fees?

We need a major squad overhaul next season and I am begining to panic as to when the overhaul will start and who will be doing the deals.

You are kidding right? Levi has done OK in his opening season but to rate him in a price bracket which would have bought you Pearson, McEveley and Teale is being silly. Yes he has potential and please god may he end up one day being worth what Heskey was when we sold him but he isnt worth £1.75m at this stage of his career.

To those who say we are a top ten side again I would beg to differ. We have plenty of potential in some of the younger players like Stearman, Levi, Weso, Fryatt and Logan but I wonder how many of these players would start at the begining of next season, now that we are meant to have a bob or two to fund bosmans, freebies, good player loans and smallish transfer fees?

We need a major squad overhaul next season and I am begining to panic as to when the overhaul will start and who will be doing the deals.

There you go again. I said £1.25m. The extra would be add ons, and modest ones at that. If you wouldn't pay that much for the guy, no problem.

Personally I'd love 10 outfield players who could pass the ball accurately and safely in the back two thirds of the field and do a bit with it in the front third.

For such a valueless commodity Leicester City seem woefully short of such people - especially in the first team which perhaps explains why we forever have to provide supplementary protection for our defence and defensive midfielders.

As for who will start next season I've no idea. But if I rate Levi at £1.25m and we get players in worth £3m it's obvious it won't be many.

Nor could I give a toss. My campaign on behalf of people like Levi, King, Gradel, Dodds and Sheehan is because I've long believed they are better than what we've got and will move us more quickly to the passing style of attacking football we need to win things.

But if such players are going to get into a team full of already accomplished £2m/£3m players then they're going to have to improve some and quickly. It's a competive world, football.

If they don't merit a place they'll either be on the bench or on their way.

All I've ever wanted is the team picked on merit instead of politics.

Why do you have such a thing against Kisnorbo? He's one of the best defenders in this division, he's quick, can tackle and is good in the air, and that's all a defender needs to be. So fooking what if he's not a great passer? As long as he stops the opposition from scoring, he's done his job.

If you've got someone like Rio Ferdinand who can pass the ball well, that's an added bonus, but it's not an essential skill for a defender.

Not if he immediately gives the ball away it isn't - that's the problem with most of our players and why we can't string two passes together or retain the ball. Kisnorbo and other players who can't pass are major contributors to our our hoofing football and we're even piss poor at that.

It would be for me. People mention Steve Walsh and Matt Elliott but the best centre-half's Leicester ever had were Ian King and Tony Knapp.

King was a bit like Bobby Moore. He read the game and when he won the ball he pass it simple and to feet. Knapp was not so elegant but had similar strengths. And City were playing the best teams in the land in those days.

I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to get the ball on the floor and to pass it simply and quickly from the back of the team to the front.

I have nothing against Kisnorbo. I appreciate all the things you mention. But he's had a long time to improve now and I've seen no progress at all on what is an important weakness.

when people say kisnorbo carnt pass wot do you mean i have seen him pass loads of times.

kisnorbo in my opinion is one of the best defenders to put a city shirt on for along time

It simply means, as with a lot of our team they can't pass to a fellow team member, not even short passes and often end up hoofing it into no man's land where more often than it should it ends up with an opposition player.

to be fair to kisnorbo he doesn't have that movement infront of him much does he, and being a centre half surely he hasn't the ability to play killer passes, hense the reason he is a centre half!

Nobodies asking for killer passes just simple passes to a blue shirt, true the midfield don't make themselves as available as they should but it's simply to consistently bad to use that as an excuse.

A lot of players have stagnated or gone backwards this season. This shows how poor our current management and coaching team is.

For example, it seems scarcely believable that Stearman attracted a bid of £1.5m from a Premiership club at the start of the season. We'd be lucky to get a quarter of that now.

As a centre-back duo, there is actually little difference between Kisnorbo/McAuley and Moore/Leacock at Derby. Sadly other areas of their team have outperformed ours by a distance. In particular, bringing Porter into the discussion does him no favours whatsoever. Ask any sheep if they'd swap Giles Barnes for him and they'd be rolling on the floor in laughter.

Derby are a year ahead of us in rebuilding, both on and off the field. The task of the new management team will be to close that gap as soon as possible.

A lot of players have stagnated or gone backwards this season. This shows how poor our current management and coaching team is.

For example, it seems scarcely believable that Stearman attracted a bid of £1.5m from a Premiership club at the start of the season. We'd be lucky to get a quarter of that now.

As a centre-back duo, there is actually little difference between Kisnorbo/McAuley and Moore/Leacock at Derby. Sadly other areas of their team have outperformed ours by a distance. In particular, bringing Porter into the discussion does him no favours whatsoever. Ask any sheep if they'd swap Giles Barnes for him and they'd be rolling on the floor in laughter.

Derby are a year ahead of us in rebuilding, both on and off the field. The task of the new management team will be to close that gap as soon as possible.

I think your own argument contradicts itself. If you're saying £1.5m was bid for Stearman (and I dont know if that's true cos I thought it was less) then why the laughter about Porter? There is no way Stearman is a better player than Porter as would be easily demostrated by a look at the fans player ratings.

Even last season Stearman was never consistent. He certainly played some good games, which he hasn't done this season, but he still looked like a guy learning his trade and very raw at times.

Porter, in contrst, has been one of our most consistently effective performers, has all but made the position his own and has also added vital assistance in a covering role.

Even on last season's showing I wouldn't rate Stearman as highly as Porter's been this year. And Porter is a forward, a creator of goals, and they're always a bit more expensive.

Has anybody seen Derby play this year or heard reports on them?apart from the colchester game that is!

They are a awfull side who are no better han any team in the league,that includes Leeds.

On sky many times have they said "How are Derby near the top of the league,they are awfull"

They have had some very lucky results whilst being played off the park!

Archived