Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Now and forever

Thankfully, no-one has slipped through the net yet but it may happen one day. I was just reading today that Billy Sharp, arguably worth £3-5m and looking amazing down at Scunny was actually let go by a decent judge in Neil Warnock at Sheff Utd a couple of years back. This season Warnock has gone and spent a couple of million on Jon Stead, another young forward who arguably isnt as gifted a player as Sharp.

The point is that players can show drastic improvements in a different environment and its almost impossible to know whether they would have actually improved had they stayed at the club.

All we must do is hope that the people in charge of our academy are able to influence these young lads to improve and that they get a fair crack at the whip in the first team if good enough.

You've sumed that up brilliantly really.

Sometimes you need to go backwards before you can go forwards.

Thankfully, no-one has slipped through the net yet but it may happen one day. I was just reading today that Billy Sharp, arguably worth £3-5m and looking amazing down at Scunny was actually let go by a decent judge in Neil Warnock at Sheff Utd a couple of years back. This season Warnock has gone and spent a couple of million on Jon Stead, another young forward who arguably isnt as gifted a player as Sharp.

The point is that players can show drastic improvements in a different environment and its almost impossible to know whether they would have actually improved had they stayed at the club.

All we must do is hope that the people in charge of our academy are able to influence these young lads to improve and that they get a fair crack at the whip in the first team if good enough.

Anyone could see Sharp had talent. It's moronic letting strikers go when they have proved they can score goals at a lower level without giving them a chance to do it for your own team. Warnock was an idiot to let him go, his striker policy is a mess.

I tend to agree from what I've seen but it is only a matter of time.

Many of the successful teams are involving Academy players but there's so much fear in football nowadays I'm equally certain good young players are not getting the breaks they need. There have been illustrations at Leicester.

The fear is tangible and I don't know why considering the obscene pay-offs managers get for failure...and the willingness of football to pick em all off the floor in some capacity or another.

I tend to agree from what I've seen but it is only a matter of time.

Many of the successful teams are involving Academy players but there's so much fear in football nowadays I'm equally certain good young players are not getting the breaks they need. There have been illustrations at Leicester.

I agree to an extent here, generally managers and coaches will know if a player is good enough or not, but, as someone said, Billy Sharp is a prime example of someone who wasn't given a chance and is now worth upwards of £2m.

The problem is, I think some young players get judged too early. Young players coming up to the first team need a few games to adjust to a faster, more physical game. This is bound to take time, but unfortunately I think some managers don't give them enough.

I agree to an extent here, generally managers and coaches will know if a player is good enough or not, but, as someone said, Billy Sharp is a prime example of someone who wasn't given a chance and is now worth upwards of £2m.

The problem is, I think some young players get judged too early. Young players coming up to the first team need a few games to adjust to a faster, more physical game. This is bound to take time, but unfortunately I think some managers don't give them enough.

Many young players get loaned out and come back better for it, some go on loan and come back worse off. Then you get some players who are thrust into the first team and they look good whilst most of them look out of there depth. Its a difficult one to call but we cant be like Birmingham fans who have seen there club pay upwards of £10m on 3 strikers in the last few years when they gave Andy Johnson away to Palace. We at this stage cant call a solitary example of one of our kids leaving and doing well, then again maybe our youths of yesteryear werent as good as the current crop??

One thing that is always missed out though in these types of conversations is the bigger picture regarding young lads. Some go off the rails early and can come back better than originally thought of and some hit it big early and think they have cracked it and have mediocre careers in the lower leagues. Keeping a player whether young or old at the same club doesnt neccasarily see his improvement continue along the same lines. Maybe if Eric Cantona didnt move to from Leeds to United he would have been half the player?? Maybe had Matty Piper stayed here he would be England class by now?? Who knows? There certainly is no easy explanation why some players get better as its not simply just about coaching but at times about the stuff that goes on in there personal lives.

Anyone could see Sharp had talent. It's moronic letting strikers go when they have proved they can score goals at a lower level without giving them a chance to do it for your own team. Warnock was an idiot to let him go, his striker policy is a mess.

Louis Dodds for the first XI?? :ph34r:

i think it will tough going till the end of the season points will be hard to come by, looking at the matches where will the next win come from ???

Derby: Lose

Plymouth: draw ?

Norwich: draw ?

Birmingham: Lose

Preston: Lose

Barnsley: win ?

Wolves: Lose

not sure of anything anymore ! :blink:

That will never happen unfortuantely.

To be honest, I can't see it happening either. I haven't actually seen him play but I've heard mixed reviews of the lad. It wouldn't exactly hurt to give him a chance considering our other strikers are far from scoring hatfuls of goals. However with Rob Kelly, it's all about experience and lads who know have been around for a while and know what it takes to get us away from the mess we currently face.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived