Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bryn

Do we keep Nigel Worthington?

Well he did what was asked of him.  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Is he Worthy?

• Yes
    • No

I've read Iwan Roberts' ''All I want for Christmas...'' book, which follows the season when Norwich were promoted as Champions in a diary type context. It's interesting reading about Worthington and his management style. The key features being the respect the players have for him and his insistence on the team playing good football. According to Roberts, he trained them hard and always kept them on their toes.

Worthington would be a good option. I even felt this prior to him arriving at the club. He struggled at Norwich towards the end of his time there. Sometimes a club needs a change to freshen things up. Norwich had a good start to this season, before losing a few, culminating in them losing 4-1 at home to Burnley that led to his sacking.

There are not many managers available that have experience of winning a promotion from this division on limited resources. Some may argue that the likes of Adams and Bryan Robson have done this. Adams already had a Premiership squad at his disposal and Robson splased the cash.

Milan will give him a chance next season he has installed belief in the squad in such a short time. But Kelly did last season but he really underachieved this season but with money and a eye for a bargain who wont do well in charge next season.

Cant be to many Peter Taylors out there.

And i seem to remember wortho spending well at norwich.

The whole question needs deep thought.

I can see no arguments that lift Coleman above Worthington in the fight to be our manager but I'd remind people that all Worthington has done is restore some basics.

He has got us fit to last 90 minutes - we've so often gone limp as a drunk's erection in the closing stages of games - he's got us concentrating, he's not making eccentric team selections and he's lifted players' confidence so far more of them are playing towards the top of their games instead of the bottom.

But none of these things are anything but what you'd expect from any competent manager. They do not prove or disprove that Worthington is the best or otherwise to spend money building a side which will win promotion in an acceptable positive and entertaining manner.

He has suggested he can involve our best emerging youth players and I think that's vitally important. He seems to have people's respect and that is important too. And you can understand him. The team today was the first I've selected/predicted correctly in two seasons - mainly because the managers have consistently avoided picking the strongest side! :D

It's understandable but I still don't think we have our strongest side out but today's team was at least sensible, logical and defensible - and being able to pick such teams is a vital part of being a manager which far too many - especially Leicester's - fail to grasp.

So Worthington has done himself no harm. But is he the man to take us to the Premiership? I don't know is the simple answer. He's shown me he can win away with what I'd describe as a safe and sound team and strategy. But can he forge something more exciting and more suited to winning titles and making some impact in the Premiership?.

That is the question.

For me, I'd say keep him.

He did at Norwich exactly what we want, he's the top choice when it comes to experience of managing a club in our position and in the Championship, and maybe he learnt from his mistake and if he does get us to the premiership then he could keep us there.

My second choice would be Ince, it could be a gamble but it could equally pay-off big time, just see how well Sunderland have done under Keane.

Would def prefer Coleman but i think he may end up at a prem club, looks like big Sams leaving Bolton??

Having said that i wouldnt be unhappy if Wortho gets the job, he seems like he knows what hes doing.

The rumours were that Jose would leave Chelski at the end of the season, yet he failed to be linked to us. :ermm:

If Big Sam leaves Bolton, he'll wind up at Man City, Newcastle or some other such team. I'd put money on him winding up at Newcastle in the event that he leaves Bolton.

Does it basically come down to:

1 - Who does milan think will spend his money in the most productive way i.e. buy the better players

2 - Who will be able to lead us into the premiership and keep us there?

3 - Who has the best contacts?

4 - Who can control premiership players in their attitude and work ethic?

5 - Who has the most experience?

It's difficult to choose between worthington and coleman, as Wortho has been promoted with norwich and yet coleman has kept fulham in the prem for a few years and had to sell his best players. A mixture of both is perfect (promotion and keeping a team in the top league) but would never happen, if it came down to it, i would choose Coleman because of his youth and ambition, with Milan's experience as a chairman he could mould coleman into a great manager that could take leicester to where we belong!!! :worship: !! At least mid table in the prem.........i hope :thumbup:

Personally I think that as Wortho is in place at the moment he is the prime candidate for the job. He has done what Milan has asked - i.e.e keep us up. He has put discipline into the side. He has got rid of Hughes ( much respect). He has got Norwich promoted and with some to spare. He knows this division unlike Coleman. He has managed to get a bunch of muppets to win two away back to back.

Might be hard to take but Wortho is in the prime position for the job.

Personally I think that as Wortho is in place at the moment he is the prime candidate for the job. He has done what Milan has asked - i.e.e keep us up. He has put discipline into the side. He has got rid of Hughes ( much respect). He has got Norwich promoted and with some to spare. He knows this division unlike Coleman. He has managed to get a bunch of muppets to win two away back to back.

Might be hard to take but Wortho is in the prime position for the job.

:blink:

Hughes has started twice and come on as a sub once in Worthy's four games in charge, and looked good.

Did you mean Yeates?

If we keep him then I doubt he will be behind any 'big' signings. MM will let a person whom he trusts with his money to make massive signings, otherwise MM will be making big money signings..

Can't see that tbh, especially when worthington has a pretty good record when it comes to signing strikers.

Archived