Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shipman Out

The Options almost unlimited!

There's not many great players to be great managers...and far, far more of the other sort.

But Keane and O'Neill were successful enough players, Vialli would be a great guy to have here, Johan Cruyff was pretty good, Jurgen Klinsmann was another with recent-enough pedigree..

There are others starting to make their names too, like Mark Hughes, Gareth Southgate, Steve Bruce and that's just in England.

my point was that you don't need to have been a great player to be a great manager. not that being a good player exempted you from being a good manager.

Don't know why you are bringing up the race card. I think you are the only one to ever mention it on FOXESTALK. To say that Ince's achievements have obliterated Warnocks is just CRAP!! Ince has managed a league 2 club for half a season!

Because Ince brought it up so loudly and clearly in the national press. I even suggested him as manager - cos I think he's got a lot of the qualities the job requires - but it's not easy to mix management with social campaigning, worthy as his cause might be and, whatever the reasons, very few seem to want him .

Because Ince brought it up so loudly and clearly in the national press. I even suggested him as manager - cos I think he's got a lot of the qualities the job requires - but it's not easy to mix management with social campaigning, worthy as his cause might be and, whatever the reasons, very few seem to want him .

Is there any point in arguing with you when you time and time again ignore what people say and contradict yourself.

There's not many great players to be great managers...and far, far more of the other sort.

But Keane and O'Neill were successful enough players, Vialli would be a great guy to have here, Johan Cruyff was pretty good, Jurgen Klinsmann was another with recent-enough pedigree..

There are others starting to make their names too, like Mark Hughes, Gareth Southgate, Steve Bruce and that's just in England.

Once again its not as black and white as you are suggesting. You should judge a managers achievements based on the problems that confornts him. The premiership is one of the hardest leagues to suceed in and in recent times not only have big clubs been relegated from the top flight but many others have come close despite spending millions, just like West Ham.

As I said before, you talk of Mark Hughes and he hasnt sold his best players and Coleman has and still manages to build a squad good enough to stay in the top flight. You will see next season with Sanchez incharge as I honestly believe they will be in the bottom 3 next time around unless the chairman opens his cheque book the tight sod.

BTW what has Southgate done? He has basically done what Coleman has been doing for a few years but Southgate has managed to keep his best players and sign players like Woodgate. Bruce did OK the first time around but got them relegated before being given a huge transfer kitty to get them back up. Yes he has done OK but has had assitance along the way.

my point was that you don't need to have been a great player to be a great manager. not that being a good player exempted you from being a good manager.

I've no idea where I've said that you do.

It was you asked the question about how many great players went on to be great managers.

Jean Tigana is black? It appears he’s quite a popular choice among the fans on here.

I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make Thracian? I can’t see where this whole issue about Paul Ince or ‘The Guv’nor’ being black arises from?

that contacts mean shit all. He has great contacts high up in the league, but yet he ends up at Macclesfield. What's that all about.

He's got to start somewhere hasn't he?

He can't just be expected to walk into a top job straight away.... :rolleyes:

Jean Tigana is black? It appears he’s quite a popular choice among the fans on here.

I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make Thracian? I can’t see where this whole issue about Paul Ince or ‘The Guv’nor’ being black arises from?

No idea what The Guvnor reference has to do with what I've said, nor the reference to Tigana for that matter.

Ince could easily come good as a manager at this level or beyond so despite him being about my 10th choice lol, if he came I would back him all the way. The clear point here is though that we should not always undersell our club and take risks on managers who have achieved little within the top two tiers of the English game. Its the same with players. We must start signing players who have seen it and done it and this level and higher if we want to move on. If people think that we can buy the best of D1 and D2 and get a new manager in and achieve greatness with all of that and the academy players then they need to get tested for insanity.

Ince could easily come good as a manager at this level or beyond so despite him being about my 10th choice lol, if he came I would back him all the way. The clear point here is though that we should not always undersell our club and take risks on managers who have achieved little within the top two tiers of the English game. Its the same with players. We must start signing players who have seen it and done it and this level and higher if we want to move on. If people think that we can buy the best of D1 and D2 and get a new manager in and achieve greatness with all of that and the academy players then they need to get tested for insanity.

A good manager is a good manager and a good player a good player wherever you find them. I've mentioned several players who've "done it" at our level and beyond - people like Robert Earnshaw, Steve Hendrie, Patrik Berger and Emile Heskey - but so far all that's turned up is people like Johnson, Hughes, Kenton and Horsfield. There's a big difference and, like you, I look forward to a change.

A good manager is a good manager and a good player a good player wherever you find them. I've mentioned several players who've "done it" at our level and beyond - people like Robert Earnshaw, Steve Hendrie, Patrik Berger and Emile Heskey - but so far all that's turned up is people like Johnson, Hughes, Kenton and Horsfield. There's a big difference and, like you, I look forward to a change.

It all depends on the circumstances of the club at that specific time! Yes we may knock the AJ signing last year or we could back back further and rip apart Micky Adams attempts at making the average age of our squad about 40 but we had no money and little option unless we threw the kids in which as Ive mentioned before can have catasrophic effects on their careers if it all goes wrong.

This time around will be totally different and thats why even the calibre of manager that is being linke dto us has gone up because we are one of the most attractive options for a manager outside of the premiership.

Lets see what the summer brings but we need to get the right man in charge to buy the right players and quick (just spotted Sheff Weds trie dto buy Billy Sharp for £1.5m but bid turned down lol)

Warnock the latest to resign today and has said he has one more challenge in him, the last time he came close to leaving Sheffield United was when he was offered the job at Portsmouth...who offered it yes Mr Manderic.

If i was running a book Warnock would now be my favourite, but with so many managers now available who do you think Manderic should pick and will pick?

Warnock

Pearce

Roeder

Lennon

Ince

Newell

Keegan

Worthington

Grayson

Coleman

Dowie (why!!!)

Hard to remember a time when so many managers where out of work and others doing well at clubs

Didnt Steve Clarke and Tony Adams get mentioned, Out of that list i would choose Chris Coleman

lol @ glen roeder....

a name isn't everything, i still say mike newell. please not warnock. like someone else said he isnt the best in the transfer market. John stead for the premiership lol. Can score but not good enuff. buying akinbiyi, gillespie. some of his signings scare me to be honest

Scary because he reminds me so much of Craig Levein; in the fact he wears glasses and has about the same amount of charisma!!

What's the point in that?

At least Thracian has some interesting arguments to make whether you agree with them or not

Thanks Cheese Me - it's funny the reaction to the idea of considering a bloke who has been singularly successful for us.

No-one proposed he should get the job anyway. It just struck me as strange that so many would prefer failed managers or unconvincing managers to someone who has categorically done well for us over a period of time.

It is not such a rare thing to promote from within. Liverpool did it for years and with unprecedented success and I don't recall anyone taking the mickey out of that.

Little Sammy Lee has just been promoted at Bolton and he's not the only one. From the impression I get here no-one agrees with any idea of a career structure at Leicester.

I wonder how those people would feel if SB just felt he was in a dead end at Leicester and went somewhere they would give him a promotion. Or is he expected to lack any ambition?.

Didn't I hear somewhere that even MM was interested in appointing a manager who would not necessarily bring his own assistant/coaching team with him?. If true, and it might have been my imagination, I wonder if perhaps he sees an assistant's job for SB.

Am I really the only one who thinks the guy deserves a promotion, a show of appreciation for his achievements and the chance of a new challenge? Assuming he wants it, of course.

Indeed I wonder how posters would feel if it was you who'd been successful - at anything. Would you not want recognition?.

Or would you simply accept the next posts up went to outsiders?.

And I wonder what you'd think of your millionaire company chief if that were the case.

Not much is my guess.

I still don't see how Kelly's peformance has anything to do with Beaglehole or, indeed, Steve Bould's.

Plenty of managers have come from nowhere to do well and lots of supposedly big names have been embarrassing flops.

But if you've got everything so certainly worked out who's your preferred choice from people who might remotely accept?.

I'll not be against it if it's a good one.

Because you seem to be under the impression that just succeeding at youth team football and playing well means he will transfer that into first team football. Kelly is an example that kids football and first team championship football are a million miles away. You are championing Beagle, which is as ridiculous as someone saying give Bould the job.

Someone who is out and work and would accept? How do I know who would accept? Someone out of work... I like Tigana, would he accept? Someone in work... I like Burley, would he accept?

Both are unlikely. So being realistic you are looking at a two horse race between Warnock and Coleman for out of work managers. I have deep reservations about both, United became a decent team when investment was given to Warnock. It's easy to say it took 7/8 years... but the investment was never there early on. Coleman kept Fulham up, but they were sliding down the league.

I really think we need someone who have experience and RECENT success in this league. Although as Fez pointed out, he has his limitations I think Warnock has that experience to at least get us making a go of it again. If we got up he might not keep us up, but you need to get there first!!

Thanks Cheese Me - it's funny the reaction to the idea of considering a bloke who has been singularly successful for us.

No-one proposed he should get the job anyway. It just struck me as strange that so many would prefer failed managers or unconvincing managers to someone who has categorically done well for us over a period of time.

It is not such a rare thing to promote from within. Liverpool did it for years and with unprecedented success and I don't recall anyone taking the mickey out of that.

Little Sammy Lee has just been promoted at Bolton and he's not the only one. From the impression I get here no-one agrees with any idea of a career structure at Leicester.

I wonder how those people would feel if SB just felt he was in a dead end at Leicester and went somewhere they would give him a promotion. Or is he expected to lack any ambition?.

Didn't I hear somewhere that even MM was interested in appointing a manager who would not necessarily bring his own assistant/coaching team with him?. If true, and it might have been my imagination, I wonder if perhaps he sees an assistant's job for SB.

Am I really the only one who thinks the guy deserves a promotion, a show of appreciation for his achievements and the chance of a new challenge? Assuming he wants it, of course.

Indeed I wonder how posters would feel if it was you who'd been successful - at anything. Would you not want recognition?.

Or would you simply accept the next posts up went to outsiders?.

And I wonder what you'd think of your millionaire company chief if that were the case.

Not much is my guess.

A primary school teacher might be brilliant with 4 to 10 year olds... doesn't mean they should suddenly be given a job teaching Quantum Physics at Oxford.

A primary school teacher might be brilliant with 4 to 10 year olds... doesn't mean they should suddenly be given a job teaching Quantum Physics at Oxford.

I can't see the connection but if that's the attitude you'd take towards your best achievers, it wouldn't be mine. :whistle:

Because you seem to be under the impression that just succeeding at youth team football and playing well means he will transfer that into first team football. Kelly is an example that kids football and first team championship football are a million miles away. You are championing Beagle, which is as ridiculous as someone saying give Bould the job.

Someone who is out and work and would accept? How do I know who would accept? Someone out of work... I like Tigana, would he accept? Someone in work... I like Burley, would he accept?

Both are unlikely. So being realistic you are looking at a two horse race between Warnock and Coleman for out of work managers. I have deep reservations about both, United became a decent team when investment was given to Warnock. It's easy to say it took 7/8 years... but the investment was never there early on. Coleman kept Fulham up, but they were sliding down the league.

I really think we need someone who have experience and RECENT success in this league. Although as Fez pointed out, he has his limitations I think Warnock has that experience to at least get us making a go of it again. If we got up he might not keep us up, but you need to get there first!!

And even now a few minutes later i'm wavering on Warnock. I'm glad it's not my decision... all I know is i'd offer Tigana a big fat wedge first to try and tempt him.

Archived