Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shipman Out

The Options almost unlimited!

Just out of curiosity who would be the "magic man" with experience, a good CV and no risk attached?.

What a stupid question!! There is always an element of risk involved, with any manager! It's the level of risk that needs to be addressed, and Ince compared to Warnock, is much higher! You can't argue with that! ....

Just out of curiosity who would be the "magic man" with experience, a good CV and no risk attached?.

If you read my previous post I said that taking the current climate of the club, we should now take fewer risks. Had MM not come in and we had littel money to spend, maybe a Beaglehole or Ince should warrant serious consideration. We are not that "no money" club anymore that has to only rely on freebies and cheapos from the SPL and with upping the bar when we talk of the players who should be coming in, we should do the same with the manager. More low risk players and lesser risk managers. We can afford to do this now IMO.

BTW, experience doesnt just have to be about 30 years within the game, but a prolonged spell at a club where a manager has excelled regardless of the clubs limitations. Its important that his achievements should have been made in either of the top two divisions in this country IMO. I suppose you can mention Neil Warnock who has proved to move with the times and has kicked on as a manager since his early days. Chris Coleman has had a few seasons in keeping Fulham up and selling his best players every season so his experiences, especially in the transfer market, should be respected too. I would have thrown the succesful Paul Jewell in but he doesnt seem to want to be a manager again for 6 plus months.

Lets up the ante and stop thinking we are still that club that had to scarpe the barrel after administration.

If you read my previous post I said that taking the current climate of the club, we should now take fewer risks. Had MM not come in and we had littel money to spend, maybe a Beaglehole or Ince should warrant serious consideration. We are not that "no money" club anymore that has to only rely on freebies and cheapos from the SPL and with upping the bar when we talk of the players who should be coming in, we should do the same with the manager. More low risk players and lesser risk managers. We can afford to do this now IMO.

BTW, experience doesnt just have to be about 30 years within the game, but a prolonged spell at a club where a manager has excelled regardless of the clubs limitations. Its important that his achievements should have been made in either of the top two divisions in this country IMO. I suppose you can mention Neil Warnock who has proved to move with the times and has kicked on as a manager since his early days. Chris Coleman has had a few seasons in keeping Fulham up and selling his best players every season so his experiences, especially in the transfer market, should be respected too. I would have thrown the succesful Paul Jewell in but he doesnt seem to want to be a manager again for 6 plus months.

Lets up the ante and stop thinking we are still that club that had to scarpe the barrel after administration.

Totally agree, why does the word 'experience' seem to be a bad thing nowadays!? I blame Kelly for using the word to describe players like Andy Johnson! Experience doesn't have to mean an old has-been failure! It can mean, experience in the transfer market, experience dealing with players, experience in coaching, experience in promotion blah blah etc!

Experience is generally a good thing PEOPLE!!!!

I honestly wish it was otherwise but you've not convinced me.

Coleman has spent a long time achieving nothing - while comparable people like Allardyce at Bolton, Hughes at Blackburn, Jol at Tottenham have made considerable strides over time.

Warnock is great entertainment but I think he's limited. He almost blew a massive advantage when finally getting promoted to the Premiership and failed when well enough placed to avoid relegation this year.

Relegation would have knocked him and shocked him, no question and while I'm not saying he'd fail, that makes him a considerable risk.

lol You've lost the plot, you would'nt last one minute in football at this level. Could you imagine if you made that decision as a chairman and it went horribly wrong! You would be burnt at the stake lol

The potential for being slated is there whoever you appoint - as the Peter Taylor era testifies in capital letters.

What has Chris Coleman done as a manager?

Saved Fulham from relegation for a few years despite selling his best players who are good enough to grace clubs like Man Utd (Saha,Van Der Sar) and Liverpool (Finnan), as well as the others he has released to good sides like Malbranque to Spurs, Boa Morte to West Ham etc etc

We seem to pat managers on the back like Steve Coppell (manager of the year again) who has guided Reading up and kept them up for one season and rate young managers like Bothroyd despite him taking Watford down highly but suggest that managers like Coleman arent all that because they havent won anything. Lets not forget another name that people want, Tigana, is the reason why Coleman got a job but he took it knowing that the millions that Tigana wasted would limit his spending in the transfer market but still he has done well in aquiring players for a fraction of the fee spent on someone like Steve Marlet. He has a good eye for a player which is as important as a promotion.

It has everything to do with it because you inssist that because he has done well at youth level he should be considered a top candidate. IT doesn't work out like that, and we are usuing Kelly as an example.

Lets get Steve Bould as manager, or whoever manages the reserve team who finished top of their league. No?? Exactly it's a stupid idea... so stop going on about Jeremy Beagle.

I still don't see how Kelly's peformance has anything to do with Beaglehole or, indeed, Steve Bould's.

Plenty of managers have come from nowhere to do well and lots of supposedly big names have been embarrassing flops.

But if you've got everything so certainly worked out who's your preferred choice from people who might remotely accept?.

I'll not be against it if it's a good one.

What has Chris Coleman done as a manager?

We've had this one before BUT I think he has been pretty successful actually. He has kept a mediocre side in the Prem and away from relegation dog-fights until this season. He was constantly pushed to sell his best players and yet got smaller amounts in return, to spend on new players! He is far from perfect but as a realistic candidate for Leicester City, I think he has to be up there! And if we are talking about what people have done.....then someone like Ince has to be thrown right out the window! Keeping a league two team away from relegation is nothing of note in my book, when it comes to managing a Prem promotion chasing club!!

" Why not Coleman? I think he is one of the best candidates! Although you do give a thumbs up for Ince, so you can't be too smart! "

My sisters fiance went to school with him in swansea. apparently coleman was as thick as two short planks back then...

thick yet passionate. we could just dig up a neanderthal man if thats what we wanted.... .. lol. jk.

Seriously though, im only used to being able to choose from one or two options... theres too many of them!!! i cant cope!!! :dunno:

We've had this one before BUT I think he has been pretty successful actually. He has kept a mediocre side in the Prem and away from relegation dog-fights until this season. He was constantly pushed to sell his best players and yet got smaller amounts in return, to spend on new players! He is far from perfect but as a realistic candidate for Leicester City, I think he has to be up there! And if we are talking about what people have done.....then someone like Ince has to be thrown right out the window! Keeping a league two team away from relegation is nothing of note in my book, when it comes to managing a Prem promotion chasing club!!

Actually i think its quite an acheivement. they were 13 points clear at the bottom when he took over and didnt have any money to spend, that of course could be a reflection of how pants the last manager was... but i tend to think it was quite an achievement, but i DO agree with you that it might be too much of a risk to take a manager with half a seasons experience and throw him into a champtionship dog fight as well as expecting him to do well in the prem.. right man, wrong time... few more years when our next manager gets taken away from one of those greedy buggers in the top 7.....

What a stupid question!! There is always an element of risk involved, with any manager! It's the level of risk that needs to be addressed, and Ince compared to Warnock, is much higher! You can't argue with that! ....

Only because of Ince's black manager stance - which together with his arrogance makes him so disliked.

Ince's achievements in football totally obliterate Warnock's and Ince's first step into management has been as successful as was ever likely.

But the fans don't want Ince so assessing the risk is a worthless exercise.

As for being a stupid question the whole purpose of posing it was to show that any appointment - be it Coleman or Keegan,

Beaglehole or Billy Davies, would be a risk.

One or two possibilities seemed less risky but those - Davies and Jewell - don't appear to be options.

Tigana might be a great option but why would he come here? And if not we're left with a whole collection of relatively high-risk options from what I can see.

I honestly wish it was otherwise but you've not convinced me.

Coleman has spent a long time achieving nothing - while comparable people like Allardyce at Bolton, Hughes at Blackburn, Jol at Tottenham have made considerable strides over time.

Warnock is great entertainment but I think he's limited. He almost blew a massive advantage when finally getting promoted to the Premiership and failed when well enough placed to avoid relegation this year.

Relegation would have knocked him and shocked him, no question and while I'm not saying he'd fail, that makes him a considerable risk.

Alladyce has done very well on a budget and thats why he is now in charge of one of the big clubs in the country. Hughes has done well also and thats why he has been touted as a potential Man Utd manager of the future although I cant think of the real quality players that he has had to sell thus far as Blackburn manager altough I`ll await the list from you. Martin Jol is a strange choice to throw in the mix. Yes he sold Carrick and I admire the fact that he is basically buying a load of British players of all ages and hoping that some become superstars but he has also spent plenty of cash including £11m on Berbatov. He is in a position where he has Berbatov and Keane upfront and then has players liek Defoe and Mido as back-ups and so many midfielders to choose from that he has the likes of Huddlestone on teh bench and Murphy nowhere near the first team. Coleman had to cope with the likes of a loanee in Montella, £1.3m Helguson, Collins John for pennies, likewise with Brian McBride and £1.8m on the big money buy, Thomas Radsinski. In midfield he brought in Diop for a small fee and he almost went to Wigan for £5m and players like Routledge, once again on loan, teh free transfer deal for Smertin and then has had to buy players who werent first teamers at there clubs like Simon Davies and Claus Jensen.

I think you need to check what he has actually done in bringing players in for relatively small fees and selling players who are first teamers for there countries and well as the champions league standard clubs that they ply their trades in.

He has done amazingly well to keep them up and must be a better manager for it.

Only because of Ince's black manager stance - which together with his arrogance makes him so disliked.

Ince's achievements in football totally obliterate Warnock's and Ince's first step into management has been as successful as was ever likely.

As for being a stupid question the whole purpose of posing it was to show that any appointment - be it Coleman or Keegan,

One or two possibilities seemed less risky but those - Davies and Jewell - don't appear to be options.

Tigana might be a great option but why would he come here? And if not we're left with a whole collection of relatively high-risk options from what I can see.

We are talking about abilities as a manager and not how good they were as players. Warnock wipes the floor with Ince when it comes to management experience.

I still don't see how Kelly's peformance has anything to do with Beaglehole or, indeed, Steve Bould's.

Plenty of managers have come from nowhere to do well and lots of supposedly big names have been embarrassing flops.

But if you've got everything so certainly worked out who's your preferred choice from people who might remotely accept?.

I'll not be against it if it's a good one.

I have to say my realistic choice, would be between Coleman and Warnock.

Coleman because he is young, ambtious, obviously played at a high level. Has managed in Prem for a few years. Has a relatively good record in the transfer market. Has had a similar situation at Fulham with Al Fayed as we do with MM.

Warnock (don't like him!) because he has a wealth of experience in the championship. Is a very fiery character. Done ok in the transfer market. Experienced promotion and Prem football.

There are obvious other managers that interest me, like Tigana or Newell, perhaps Pearce but for me those two are slighty above the rest.

Those two are my honest selections and I would be honestly happy with either....ok BRING ON THE SLATING :rolleyes:

Totally agree, why does the word 'experience' seem to be a bad thing nowadays!? I blame Kelly for using the word to describe players like Andy Johnson! Experience doesn't have to mean an old has-been failure! It can mean, experience in the transfer market, experience dealing with players, experience in coaching, experience in promotion blah blah etc!

Experience is generally a good thing PEOPLE!!!!

It can be. Depends how much talent they've got to go with it. And how much passion remains.

Don't know why you are bringing up the race card. I think you are the only one to ever mention it on FOXESTALK. To say that Ince's achievements have obliterated Warnocks is just CRAP!! Ince has managed a league 2 club for half a season!

what a load of crap, achievements in football playing career's mean nothing in management, Mourinho was a failure as a player and is a great manage, Wenger the same. John Barnes was a great player, an awful manager.

don't even mention beagenhole, kelly won a lot as a youth coach, produced players like dunn and duff, so its a completely different kettle of fish.

How many great managers in the world now, were great players? not many.

Alladyce has done very well on a budget and thats why he is now in charge of one of the big clubs in the country. Hughes has done well also and thats why he has been touted as a potential Man Utd manager of the future although I cant think of the real quality players that he has had to sell thus far as Blackburn manager altough I`ll await the list from you. Martin Jol is a strange choice to throw in the mix. Yes he sold Carrick and I admire the fact that he is basically buying a load of British players of all ages and hoping that some become superstars but he has also spent plenty of cash including £11m on Berbatov. He is in a position where he has Berbatov and Keane upfront and then has players liek Defoe and Mido as back-ups and so many midfielders to choose from that he has the likes of Huddlestone on teh bench and Murphy nowhere near the first team. Coleman had to cope with the likes of a loanee in Montella, £1.3m Helguson, Collins John for pennies, likewise with Brian McBride and £1.8m on the big money buy, Thomas Radsinski. In midfield he brought in Diop for a small fee and he almost went to Wigan for £5m and players like Routledge, once again on loan, teh free transfer deal for Smertin and then has had to buy players who werent first teamers at there clubs like Simon Davies and Claus Jensen.

I think you need to check what he has actually done in bringing players in for relatively small fees and selling players who are first teamers for there countries and well as the champions league standard clubs that they ply their trades in.

He has done amazingly well to keep them up and must be a better manager for it.

My aim is not to knock Coleman - simply to say that he has been a manager a long time and achieved nothing of significance although if you consider keeping Fulham up to be significant fair enough - and it s something Warnock didn't do at Sheffield, or Boothroyd at Watford.

To me thiough he has not built something that has grown to be better than when he started - whatever reasons there might be for that.

If players have been sold from under him he has put up with it when I doubt the likes of MON, for instance, would have done because he had the strength of personality to make his own rules and that was what set him apart.

Coleman for me has nothing that sets him apart.

what a load of crap, achievements in football playing career's mean nothing in management, Mourinho was a failure as a player and is a great manage, Wenger the same. John Barnes was a great player, an awful manager.

don't even mention beagenhole, kelly won a lot as a youth coach, produced players like dunn and duff, so its a completely different kettle of fish.

How many great managers in the world now, were great players? not many.

There's not many great players to be great managers...and far, far more of the other sort.

But Keane and O'Neill were successful enough players, Vialli would be a great guy to have here, Johan Cruyff was pretty good, Jurgen Klinsmann was another with recent-enough pedigree..

There are others starting to make their names too, like Mark Hughes, Gareth Southgate, Steve Bruce and that's just in England.

Archived