Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Rate your happiness with the appointment

131 members have voted

1. 1. Best man for the job?

• Sick as a Mad Dog
    • There were better to be had
    • You know, like, whatever...
    • Quite pleased
    • Over the moon
  2. 2. Is he the man to get us promoted?

• Yes
    • No

I'm pleased with the decision for the simple fact we have got someone who has passion drive and commitment.... not saying the others didn't have it, but Allen has impressed me from the get go... he has a plan, he sounds like he knows what he is doing and he doesn't sound like he'll take crap from anyone... :)

We need someone who is going to throw the side out the window if they don't perform... it's going to be a wake up call for a few of them if they survive, but it will be good and we will know as fans, he wants to see us succeed.... and with more committed football, more fans, more support and more drive... :D :D

I can only see it as up from here, hope I don't get lied to again... ;)

Not overjoyed but not gutted, dont really know much about him, but he seems passionate which i like. Dont know if i have a feeling we will get promoted with him or not i hope we do, but i`m not getting myself about this season as i always get excited and we always get shat on, soooo i shall wait till the season has started and things look possible before the excitement starts

He has passion, commitment, drive, the ability to b*ll*ck the players if the need be and I really think he'll do a job for us, I'm very happy with the appointment.

He still wasn't my first choice, but at least it's exciting, however I do believe he will take us up and then get booted out, because he can't keep us in the prem I fear !! sorry mad dog :rolleyes:

I'm fairly pleased. He's a different sort of character to anything we've had since i've supported Leicester and considering the shite we've had in the past few years that's definitely a good thing. There are doubts about his tactical nous and the style of football but i'm more than prepared to let him get on with it. Anything he does lack in, will be made up with hard graft and passion. A phrase that is used far too much in football, when there's little evidence of it being used consistently. With Martin Allen's teams I can almost guarantee we'll get that in abundance. Let's not forget the quality of players and amount of money he has to spend will be a considerable amount more than he's ever worked with. People adapt to the situation they are in.

I think some of our fans have lost sight of just what state we were in before Mandaric bought us. We literally we going nowhere and administration was a possibility without investment. We've got a new lease of life, but let's be realistic about what he can offer us. It's not going to be guaranteed promotion, we aren't in the same boat as 5 or 6 heavily backed teams in this league next season but we're right in with the rest and with the right application, ambition and progress we should be able to compete to be in and around the play-offs. That's a world away from anything we've experienced in these past 3 shit stained seasons. We can't lose focus of that, we can't instantly think we should be gunning for promotion because we have a new owner that will stick a few quid in.

Mandaric wants success, but I don't think we'll be splashing out massively. So we need a manager who has experience at struggling teams and can get them back in the challenge at the other end of the division fairly quickly. I think if we finish anywhere in the top 10 then we'll have seen a massive improvement on the past 3 years. If we somehow get in the play-offs or get promoted then Martin Allen and Milan Mandaric will be heroic legends given the circumstances.

I have a fairly good feeling about Martin Allen. Time will tell, i'm usually wrong. lol

martin allen is from the illustrious old West ham school of total football--------along with Redknapp,Curbishley,Pardew etc--

in fact it woudnt surprise me if Harry didnt tip Milan the wink about M.A------------------give him the players and you'll soon see that he's not one dimentional.

M.A was one helluva STRONG and influential player himself---ask any ols school West Ham fan.

I have a fairly good feeling about Martin Allen. Time will tell, i'm usually wrong. lol

:D

That's 'feeling good' about anything connected with the club recently though, isn't it!

What I am feeling good about is the direction the club is taking - we are becoming a professional entity again. Milan is setting the club up to be able to exist on a professional footing with our peers as opposed to aiming to exist and nothing more. It's sad that some posters still feel the need to berate or belittle him in the light of the steps he is taking:

1. An ambitious manager
  2. A director of footy
  3. a scouting network
  4. more coaches
  5. player purchases
  6. improved club-fan communication

I'm delighted with what the club did for season tickets and (ignoring the shirt) am impressed with all of MM's actions.

What can be seen is someone preparing a club for future sale and for me this equates to on the pitch success.

A bit of a mixed reaction for me.

I thought he did a tremendous job at Brentford. They were on the brink of relegation when he was drafted in to the club. Kept them up and finished in the play-offs for the following two seasons - impressive given the minimal respurces to hand. You only have to look at what happened to them post Allen.

At MK Dons, it's common knowledge that he was given relatively good backing in terms of bringing players in. The likes of Dyer, Andrews, McGovern and McLeod are more than capable of playing above League 2. They finished 4th, one point off Automatic promotion. He quite rightly pointed out that the points total of 84 would have been good enough in most circumstances, but you can probably see why the MK Dons fans are a bit frustrated. I've never seen them play so I can't appreciate whether they were unlucky or crap. Opinion from their fans on here seems leans towards the latter. Probably better described as not getting the best out of the squad of players at his disposal.

It's been noted by a number of people on here that 3 successive semi final play-off defeats makes Allen a bottler/poor/overrated etc. It took Brian Little 3 attempts with us (Admittedly in the finals) and George Burley 4 times with Ipswich.

Positives are that he is hungry, motivated, passionate and is full of charisma. Not afraid to say what's on his mind - a refreshing change to the tripe we've had to endure from Kelly (Redoubling of efforts) Levein (We were unlucky) Adams (That wasn't a Micky Adams team, Micky Adams speaks in the third person as Micky Adams is a bit insecure) Bassett [insert crap/pointless comments]

Allen has a reputation as a bit of a hoofer - whether that's adopted with us remains to be seen. Style of play doesn't really matter if you're winning games. Direct football may not be easy on the eyes but it's all about playing to your strengths. Hopefully, I'd like to think that we have the resources to bring in a better quality of player to encourage us to play the sort of football we want to see and get results.

One concern I have about Allen is that he's not managed above League 1. O'Neill was in a similar situation - a brief stint at Norwich being the difference. I personally thought the best chance of winning promotion would be someone who knows this division and been successful at this level. I know Worthington wasn't a popular choice, but at least he had a track record and almost kept Norwich in the Premiership. Even someone like Joe Royle (success at Man City, play-offs with Ipswich) could have been considered. Although, someone like Royle isn't really the progressive manager we need.

MM is looking at the long term and Allen has the potential. At this stage though, like Fez, I'm cautious of making any predictions until we see the sort of players that we bring in over the summer.

Archived