Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Rate your happiness with the appointment

131 members have voted

1. 1. Best man for the job?

• Sick as a Mad Dog
    • There were better to be had
    • You know, like, whatever...
    • Quite pleased
    • Over the moon
  2. 2. Is he the man to get us promoted?

• Yes
    • No

Hoofball or not - I'm switched on by his attitude...and I'd lay money that he is the one to take us up if its possible. I can't help but feel that it is going to take some inspired signings or a level of investment above and beyond Milan's rumoured amount to do it.

I'm pleased with the appointment and do feel he's the man to take us up. I don't think it'll be this season, but I wouldn't be suprised to see us in the Premiership by the 2009/10 season.

This season, I think a top half finish would be acceptable, although Mandaric and the majority of fans will be looking for top 8 and at least pushing for the top 6?

Why? He's certainly a very reliable gamble for this division.

I would not like to be in the dressing room when we lose and that is the first time in ages that the players would actually care about losing as MA obviously hates losing :thumbup: Well done Milan :worship::thumbup:

Hoofball or not - I'm switched on by his attitude...and I'd lay money that he is the one to take us up if its possible. I can't help but feel that it is going to take some inspired signings or a level of investment above and beyond Milan's rumoured amount to do it.

Agreed,

hopefully the players can be inspired by his positivety?

As for Milans milllions, id like to think that the £4.5M or whatever it was, was just a minimum amount. I doubt Milan would be foolish enough to announce to all the clubs we might be buying players off exactly how much cash he's got!!

Why? He's certainly a very reliable gamble for this division.

I'm happy with the appointment. Top half finish next year will be a decent job as long as we don't spend massive amounts on transfer fees, which I don't think we will.

Promotion is a different kettle of fish. There are a lot of very good sides with very good managers who haven't managed it this year (on Tuesday look at the three losing play-off contenders. All far better squads and quality managers) as well as teams like Preston and Cardiff who didn't even make the playoffs. Then you've got the relegated sides who are all stronger than us for one reason or another.

Maybe in two or three years we'll have a better chance but there's no telling at the moment. The aim should be consolidation and making sure we don't come as close to relegation in the foreseeable future as we have done in the last couple of seasons.

Last season Derby finished pretty much where we did and look how much money they've had to spend to get where they are, with a manager most fans would have loved to have seen appointed this summer. And they could easily get beaten tomorrow.

I'm not looking to denigrate Martin Allen as an appointment but I don't see any reason why we should expect promotion just because Milan says so. I can see people on here all too easily forgetting just what a mess we've been in for years now.

I'm not looking to denigrate Martin Allen as an appointment but I don't see any reason why we should expect promotion just because Milan says so. I can see people on here all too easily forgetting just what a mess we've been in for years now.

I wasn't clear was I?

I didn't mean promotion this season but within the three years of his contract/MM's statement.

I see him as being able to achieve that with sufficient resources.

I'm happy with the appointment. Top half finish next year will be a decent job as long as we don't spend massive amounts on transfer fees, which I don't think we will.

Promotion is a different kettle of fish. There are a lot of very good sides with very good managers who haven't managed it this year (on Tuesday look at the three losing play-off contenders. All far better squads and quality managers) as well as teams like Preston and Cardiff who didn't even make the playoffs. Then you've got the relegated sides who are all stronger than us for one reason or another.

Maybe in two or three years we'll have a better chance but there's no telling at the moment. The aim should be consolidation and making sure we don't come as close to relegation in the foreseeable future as we have done in the last couple of seasons.

Last season Derby finished pretty much where we did and look how much money they've had to spend to get where they are, with a manager most fans would have loved to have seen appointed this summer. And they could easily get beaten tomorrow.

Ah no, I agree but on the other hand I thought I replied to whether we'd get promoted with him not to a time-scale. Though he has been incredibly effective short-term against lower league teams. On the other hand Derby and Birmingham have spent, sometimes not too wisely and when you compare that to the money for quality Keane spent you'll the logic that attitude is a very major player in this division and at some point in time, the premiership. The reason why I think MM will spend more this summer and January than what you expect is the windfall from prem next year. If he wants to invest, competition will be less. Thirdly the calibre of players we have been linked with is more than enough.

i dont think anyone would disagree with me in saying the current squad is good enough to get us promoted.

However, i think its too early to say wether we will, or will not get promoted. We have the first peice of the jigsaw, but we really need to know what sort of players we will be getting before we can get a real good indication of how far up the league we can get.

do i HOPE he is the right man for the job? I most certainly do. is he a step in the right direction? He most certainly is!!!! i Think the next couple of weeks will be exciting as im expecting some players in. lets hope they are the kind we want!

I'm quite pleased with the appointment overall. His attitude is a breat of thresh air. Over the 3 years I think he could well be the man to get us up, he certainly relishes the chance of the Premiership.

i dont think anyone would disagree with me in saying the current squad is good enough to get us promoted.

:blink: .

Erm. I would. :dunno:

Regardless of who the manger was last year and what he got out of the players. This squad is not good enough to get us out of this division.

We don't have a centre midfielder capable of giving our strikers any type of good service, on top of that we haven't got a striker who would take advantage of that service.

I have every confidence in Allen i think he will have a long and successful manigerial career at city and we should all give him our full support, after all does this manager remind u all of another who rose in the ranks, came to leicester and went on to become one the the all time best??? :whistle: *cough* Martn O'neil *cough* :whistle:

I wasn't clear was I?

I didn't mean promotion this season but within the three years of his contract/MM's statement.

I see him as being able to achieve that with sufficient resources.

Ah no, I agree but on the other hand I thought I replied to whether we'd get promoted with him not to a time-scale. Though he has been incredibly effective short-term against lower league teams. On the other hand Derby and Birmingham have spent, sometimes not too wisely and when you compare that to the money for quality Keane spent you'll the logic that attitude is a very major player in this division and at some point in time, the premiership. The reason why I think MM will spend more this summer and January than what you expect is the windfall from prem next year. If he wants to invest, competition will be less. Thirdly the calibre of players we have been linked with is more than enough.

I do realise it didn't just mean this season. I still think the same principles apply. £4.5million isn't an awful lot of money. Sunderland and Birmingham may have spent similar amounts but they each had the basis of a Premiership squad. Derby bought pretty much an entire new squad.

At this stage, I refuse to judge Allen on whether or not he can gain promotion. If we end up in the top half next summer, at this point in time I have to say that will be a decent job done. But we all know what football is like. We could easily have a season like Cardiff's or Derby's - and then we'll all be slagging him off mercilessly.

Most of it rests on the quality of player we are able/choose to bring in. I may change my mind if we sign some of the better players we have been linked with.

It'll still take more than Milan saying the word "promotion", mentioning investment figures or appointing a decent young manager for me to think we will get promoted in the next three years. You're asking the question now and I have to say no, almost regardless of who the new manager could have been. Ask me again after our first game of the season and hopefully I'll think differently.

I was impressed with Levein's attitude when he arrived but but he didn't live up to the hype on or off the pitch.

As for Allen for me he's Ok. So so, 50/50, I see nothing in his record that shouts promotion, play-offs yes but he's failed 3 times now at going the extra mile. I'm hoping that with MMs limited cash he can inject some real Championship quality into the team because passion alone wont get us promoted, he'll also need to be more adaptable in his approach to the opposition than he appears to have been. I guess my biggest concern is that he's a one trick pony.

I think Martin Allen is the best manager we have had in years. Simply for his passion and hunger for the win. I dont see us getting into the top 2 but maybe the playoffs under Allen.

Many people said that when we signed Levein!

Oh God :unsure: But inside we all know Allen is no Levein. Have you ever seen Levein take a swim in a river? :D

No, but similar stories abounded, like knocking out a team mate for messing up in a game, making players run up and down the stand with their full golf bags if I remember rightly for playing golf against orders.

I'm not sure that some of these things will be acceptable or allowed at Championship level.

Quite pleased.

He wasn't my first choice because I know so little about him.

Then again, my first choice is off on a six month jolly, so he was never really that realistic. :ph34r:

I feel he's probably a more positive appointment than most of the others we could have made easily, which is obviously nice.

So far he's pressed all the right buttons. :thumbup:

I think Martin Allen is the best manager we have had in years. Simply for his passion and hunger for the win. I dont see us getting into the top 2 but maybe the playoffs under Allen.

It's a bit early to say that isn't it when he hasn't even managed a match yet?

Archived