Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in a Box

1st Team coach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ton/6767725.stm

Hockaday added to Saints backroom

Southampton

Southampton have appointed Dave Hockaday as their new youth team coach, replacing Georges Prost who has returned to his native France.

Hockaday, 49, had recently followed manager Martin Allen from Milton Keynes Dons to Leicester, and was named as the Foxes' new first-team coach on 6 June.

Before joining the Dons, he also had a spell as first-team coach at Watford.

"We are delighted to have got someone of his quality and experience," Saints' academy director Matt Crocker said.

"He could have taken a first-team job at another club but he has chosen to join us.

"Georges is a hard act to follow but if anyone can do it then Dave will."

As a player, Hockaday made more than 600 appearances at full-back for Blackpool, Swindon, Hull, Stoke and Shrewsbur

How random.

Yet if he hadn't signed a contract, I suppose it makes some kind of sense.

He was offered one, but hadn't agreed to it. He was unsure on whether to come here or not. He had offers to go elsewhere as well.

I was looking forward to seeing Hockaday here because I'd read before that he was good at working with young players. Sounds like his reasons for not coming were fair enough so good luck to him.

I have to wonder though JBF. George Burley has a good reputation for encouraging, developing and using young players.

If Hockaday enjoyed working with young players as opposed to experienced pros some of whom are either cynical, arrogant or set in their ways, then maybe the youth coaching job at a club where youth coaching is clearly appreciated had more appeal.

The above is mere speculation but it's very hard to believe the guy turned down a contract just because his house is a bit closer to Southampton.

I'd like to know the real reason.

And for sure that's half a point off MA's managerial for his loss of a guy he clearly wanted. But +1 for signing Kishishev and +0.5 for putting Kenton on the transfer list = +10.0 overall.

Archived