Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hereford-Fox

ipod

Seriously now, is it worth getting one?

i really want one and just about have the money to get a 30GB multi-media one.

but i have some major doubts.

1. my computer is rubbish and would probably die if i was to put itunes onto it so i wouldnt be able to sync my ipod here, but luckily i can do it at my friends but that then arises the question is it possible to run 2 ipods off one itunes?

and

2. i have heard many things about ipods, most of them good but i realise there was a huge stink kicked up about them around a year ago about the batteries stopping working after about a year or so...

i just want to guage other peoples opinions on them before i plunge into buying one, but by the time you have read this i probably will have one on order !

cheers

Hereford-Fox

I have one and there a good bit of kit but there's better options about, I'm on my second one because my first the battery died as you have heard from other people, also it wouldn't sync music on to it, so I got the new version (My 1st one was the original brick one, I didn't realise what a size difference there was until I got my new one)

You can sync it on 2 computer but its confusing at first (Or it was for me) I use it between my desktop PC/Laptop, You just have to do it manually though...Although you may have this problem whatever MP3 player you have e.t.c :dunno:

I think when/if my iPod dies i'll get a Creative Zen (I think thats the one anyway) but when the time comes and I need a new music player there may be other option.

my mate has reasured me that i can sync 2 on one itunes, but if he is wrong 150 odd quid is alot of cider money to waste on and ipod i wont be able to use....

ITunes should be alright on your computer anyway? It shouldn't use a lot of memory.

if all else fails!

but it would take me forever seeing as i am a WMP user all my files are WMA....

would be alot easier to pop round the corner and get it done in a shade of the time...

hmmm, the latest ipods seem fine - i have been using the previous model for last few years, and like the first one i had its replacement has now also crashed: what you have to remember is that mp3 players are pretty much just a hard drive with a bit of media player (like wmp or winamp or itunes) running it, and any hard drive is prone to crashing at any time - pretty much luck of the draw, and the more you put on it the more it crashes (like my two, both crashed c.9000 tunes) but the new ones seem much better.

batteries have not been a problem for years now.

if you are worried about yr pc, you shouldn't, i had a PC from, like 1998, and it ran ipod fine, you store the tracks on the ipod so you can delete the files from your itunes folder and wma files are slow even on a ultra modern PC because itunes has to convert them.

ipod seems better than anything else and they seem relatively cheap now, so i say go for it.

I'm on my 2nd ipod and tbh its fck'd!! It plays which song IT wants to and is completely random half the time. Although because of its shiteness we get on well and have a good laugh., even though I'll get a new one soon.

this current one, however I don't think I can ever get rid of it :wub:

It's got a mind of its own.

I have recently upgraded my ipod having had the previous one for several years. Both have been excellent, no battery problems at all.

The issue with your PC may not be i-tunes but the amount of music you want to put on your ipod, eg 5000 tunes is going to be about 20GB. What is the size of your music collection and will you have space to store it.?

You can run two ipods but all the music you put on your PC goes into a music library and there is only one library. You have an option to click on a track to state whether you wish to up load it onto your ipod. To do this for 5000 tunes would be a bit of a pain. If you did this with your mate it would have his and your music collections (do you have the same tastes?).

There's others out there that are equally as good, but just don't have the name or price tag.

I have a Creative Zen Micro and it's been fantastic for the two years I've had it :thumbup:

:worship:

I had one aswell, never let me down in the time that I had it. But then I sold it because I use my phone as my MP3 player now :P.

Don't worry about the battery, it's normally fine unless you get a dodgy one, very unlikely though. I used to have an ipod mini, now upgraded to a black nano, they are both brilliant gadgets, but the nano is so handy to carry round with, I would choose that.

I have recently upgraded my ipod having had the previous one for several years. Both have been excellent, no battery problems at all.

The issue with your PC may not be i-tunes but the amount of music you want to put on your ipod, eg 5000 tunes is going to be about 20GB. What is the size of your music collection and will you have space to store it.?

You can run two ipods but all the music you put on your PC goes into a music library and there is only one library. You have an option to click on a track to state whether you wish to up load it onto your ipod. To do this for 5000 tunes would be a bit of a pain. If you did this with your mate it would have his and your music collections (do you have the same tastes?).

Near enough, we are both into the sort of rock/indie sort of music and are always looking for new music....

but i guess that what ever he has i will want and it normally vica-versa so it will work i supose

my mate has reasured me that i can sync 2 on one itunes, but if he is wrong 150 odd quid is alot of cider money to waste on and ipod i wont be able to use....

My m8 has got 3 @ once it works fine

I've had a 30GB iPod video since Christmas and it's run pretty well considering I've used the shit out of it. I play it usually every day and I also will have it playing for a few hours at work several times during the week. I've heard some people say that the battery drops dead after six months, some people say after a year, but mine has worked fine considering how often I play it. So far, I'd rate it highly and recommend it.

Adding/removing songs via iTunes is a piece of cake. It's a much better, much easier system than my last mp3 player. I used to have a Toshiba gigabeat 40GB, within a year, I had to send it out to be fixed twice, and gave up on it when it went down for a third time... making iPod seem that much better.

Now watch my iPod explode when I turn it on tomorrow.

*Note* One problem I have with my iPod is that it will sometimes freeze if I skip forward too many songs in a row. It will also lock up and do nothing when I try to start it most of the time... but when both types of freezing occur, just hold MENU and the center button for 5-10 seconds and it will start back up. Also, if you're concerned with its appearance, get a cover for it. I had one and didn't like it so I never used it. The back of it is really shiny and nice, but it will look like crap when it's all scratched after a month.

I've had a 30GB iPod video since Christmas and it's run pretty well considering I've used the shit out of it. I play it usually every day and I also will have it playing for a few hours at work several times during the week. I've heard some people say that the battery drops dead after six months, some people say after a year, but mine has worked fine considering how often I play it. So far, I'd rate it highly and recommend it.

Adding/removing songs via iTunes is a piece of cake. It's a much better, much easier system than my last mp3 player. I used to have a Toshiba gigabeat 40GB, within a year, I had to send it out to be fixed twice, and gave up on it when it went down for a third time... making iPod seem that much better.

Now watch my iPod explode when I turn it on tomorrow.

*Note* One problem I have with my iPod is that it will sometimes freeze if I skip forward too many songs in a row. It will also lock up and do nothing when I try to start it most of the time... but when both types of freezing occur, just hold MENU and the center button for 5-10 seconds and it will start back up. Also, if you're concerned with its appearance, get a cover for it. I had one and didn't like it so I never used it. The back of it is really shiny and nice, but it will look like crap when it's all scratched after a month.

so True!!!

I got a 30gb one nearly filled it and wished I got the 80gb one I got some tough isee contour design plastic case to protect mine you have to have to keep that shiny look!! :D and it doesn't get in the way to much

I always said I didn't want an IPOD but I finally gave in at Christmas for a really poor reason and that is it looks the best the shiny back, sexy design just can't be beat you could have something like the Creative Zen but for the 30gb you need a trailer to carry it around for you it's massive!!!!

to cut to the chase the IPOD probably doesn't do as much as something like the creative it's limited in what it can do and I always rip albums in Windows media before transfering them but the fact is the IPOD is simply the best option on the market by a long long way and doesn't really have any real rivals imo

1) You can defo have 2 ipods & 1 pc (we have in our house)

2) The 4th gen ipod battery was utter shite....~3 or 4 hours, not like the 12 quoted by Crapple. I sold this on flea bay. I bought a 5th gen 60 gig video...bit gutted as this is nearly full :angry: :mad2: Wish I had the 80 gig.

The only reason I bought another ipod was purely due to the fact that it is the Nokia of the MP3 world and there are accessories galore out there. I would have bought a Creative Zen or a Samsung if there were accsssories available for these like the ipod. Until the day when other manufacturers use the same connection that is on the bottom of the ipod, it looks like i'm stuck in their corner. :banghead: I got the Bose Sound dock and their headphones yesterday....awesome! Both very good bits of kit.

To have a quick look at 22000 + ipod problems, click here!!!!

1) You can defo have 2 ipods & 1 pc (we have in our house)

2) The 4th gen ipod battery was utter shite....~3 or 4 hours, not like the 12 quoted by Crapple. I sold this on flea bay. I bought a 5th gen 60 gig video...bit gutted as this is nearly full :angry: :mad2: Wish I had the 80 gig.

If you are still holding out for an Ipod - take the advice always go for the largest memory as it fills up so fast.

If you are still holding out for an Ipod - take the advice always go for the largest memory as it fills up so fast.

The 80 gig came out 2 weeks after i'd bought mine. I hate it when people in shops don't feel the need to inform you of iminent upgrades/releases etc. Maybe something to do with losing comission maybe!? :@

The 80 gig came out 2 weeks after i'd bought mine. I hate it when people in shops don't feel the need to inform you of iminent upgrades/releases etc. Maybe something to do with losing comission maybe!? :@

• 1 month later...

Archived