Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
City Lad

Team for Portsmouth

I'm sorry but this is coming from somebody who said Henderson was the best goalkeeper in the Championship at one point :laugh:

when he was on form he was probably the best at the time.

I would have a go with (for the Pompey and start of the season);

--------------------Nielsen

Chambers---N'Gotty--McAuley---Mattock

Newton---Kishishev---Clemence--Hume

------------Campbell---Fryatt

Nielsen because he's just gonna play, but he did not impress me in the 45 mins I have seen him. Hume to fill in on the left until we hopefully sign someone - he works very hard and he'd love cutting in and hitting some pearlers I'm sure. Me and the Scow were talking about it the other day, thinking of it being a bit like McSheffery's role at Brum last year..scored a lot of goals from the left.

I agree, he could hit a few screamers from the left side :thumbup:

Also what about Kaebi?

Logan

Chambers

N'Grotty

McAuley

Mattock

Gradel

Clemence

Wesolowski

Sheehan

Hume

MDV

Subs I'd definitely want to use

Kaebi

Stearman

Kishisev

Campbell

Fryatt

Other Subs

Neilson, Hayes, Odihiambo, Sappleton, Newton.

Thinking about things a bit more I like Cobbo's idea of using Hume on the left until we have a viable alternative, especially if Hayes is injured, so I'd change my line up to:

Nielsen (again simply cause he IS going to play)

Chambers

Stearman

N'Gotty

Mattock

Kaebi

Weso

Clemence

Hume

De Vries

Campbell

Subs I'd like to see used: Fryatt, Kisishev, Newton, Sheehan, McAuley

Arn't people forgetting Kisnorbo, or is he injured?

---------------------------------Nielson

--Chambers--------N'Gotty---------------Kisnorbo----------Mattock

---------------------------Kishishev

-------Kaabi----------------------------------Clemence

--------------------------------------------------------------------Hume

------------------------De Vries-------------Campbell

Arn't people forgetting Kisnorbo, or is he injured?

---------------------------------Nielson

--Chambers--------N'Gotty---------------Kisnorbo----------Mattock

---------------------------Kishishev

-------Kaabi----------------------------------Clemence

--------------------------------------------------------------------Hume

------------------------De Vries-------------Campbell

There's not much point playing him as he's banned for next week's game.

:wub:

I genuinely believe that that midfield could do some serious damage. My only worry would be Hume dropping too deep and getting lost, but I definitely think its worth a try. Plenty of pace and trickery down the flanks and a solid middle who can keep the ball moving simply, quickly and effectively, plus pitch in with one or two goals as well. :thumbup:

There's not much point playing him as he's banned for next week's game.

Yeah but he'll need all the match practice he can get, we want him fit for when he returns from his ban. He didn't really play that often in the Asia Cup, saying that he did train with them.

Perhaps you'll enlighten me on what you saw against Notts County or what you saw/read about in the Scotland matches, why Campbell should be ahead of Hume/Fryatt for tomorrow's friendly. Ignoring his £1.6 transfer fee.

As for Gradel he is our only out and out winger. He has speed, beats people and has been a prolific goalscorer in each of the last two seasons.

Newton is not what I would call an effective winger. He rarely scores, is only quick for brief periods and doesn't even make a lot of goals though his chipped cross for Fryatt's goal against Notts county was clever enough.

But Newton will not be involved in enough goals to make us a top six bet.

Porter's not a real winger either. He was moved to central midfield by Beaglehole, presumably for more effectiveness. He doesn't have the pace to go past people and stay past. To repeat a point made before, his strength is in his passing and his eye for a pass.

I suppose you could call Ryan Beswick a genuine winger but I don't see him competing for that position at this stage - although MA's using him as a left-back looked promising.

If you think we've got genuine wingers by all means tell me who. Perhaps you think Hayes is the answer. He looked positive enough against Hinckley but made very little impression as a winger against Notts County when the defensive part of his game and ball retaining in midfield was hardly convincing.

Right, I'm sorry I'm angry now. Gradel being our only out and out winger?...give me a break, you've told me in the past that you don't think he will make it. Newton's a guy who's got promoted with three different clubs and had a good spell with West Ham in the Premiership only a year and a bit ago. He showed against Brum what kind of threat he could be. He's not even going to be first choice, that will be Kaebi.

As for Porter being in central midfield, the guy simply isn't strong enough or quick enough, He's a fair passer and his best attribute is his crossing, therefore he's better on the wing, but really I think we've got better options out there in Hayes and Mattock. We have much better options for central midfield in Kishishev and Clemence, two proven premiership performers and Weso who has had a good pre season by the accounts I have been hearing.

Get the tinted goggles off players such as Porter, Dodds and Beswick are not the answer. They will end up at lower league clubs doing not much, just like a lot of other players you have bigged up unsuccessfully.

Yeah but he'll need all the match practice he can get, we want him fit for when he returns from his ban. He didn't really play that often in the Asia Cup, saying that he did train with them.

Yes, but he didn't play well in the Asian cup either.. he looked all at sea there and I think he needs as much match practice as possible, so I'd give him a run... that said, it was as much Arnold's fault he looked at sea as it was his.. :dunno:

Archived