Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
City Lad

Team for Portsmouth

I'm not sure what the left side has done wrong in matches so far but still, to the team.

Logan

Stearman, N'Gotty, NcAuley, Sheehan;

Clemence, Kishishev, Wesolowski

Porter,

Hume, Fryatt.

Subs: Henderson, Chambers, Mattock, Campbell, Odhiambo.

Explanations: Stearman would have been my first choice at centre-back but would have limited our height at set pieces so I've chosen McAuley whose passing, in a passing side is far better than Kisnorbo's.

Stearman gets the not over Chambers because he's the more dangerous attacker and I've played the system set out because high crosses from conventional wingers will have little purpose given our attackers.

Sheehan win the left-back spot because he represents more chance creation and is one of the few players who can hit good and accurate through balls.

Our middle three are key. They should be a match for any Championship midfield and Porter is equipped to link the play all round and to add fire power because he's technically a good striker of the ball.

Fryatt gets the second striker shirt because he's scored more and looks like scoring more than other alternatives apart from Odhiambo.

HALLELUJAH

I wouldn't play Kisnorbo anyway. He's suspended for the first game of the season and would be involved in the training workouts necessary to let him get to know his team-mates. Same as Ka'ebi.

But you're not playing Kaebi either, not even on the bench- how do you think this would help him? You've picked Sheehan ahead of Mattock, which is debatable at best, and DJ doesn't even make the first team ahead of Fryatt. You talk about Fryatt having had ample chances to prove himself- which DJ hasn't and yet you appear to be writing off DJ after him having played less than 90 minutes for the club?

Porter is not good enough to play in that position, simple as. Although I wouldn't mind seeing it for 45 minutes just so that we can say once and for all it doesn't work. He didn't even go to Scotland, so I'm not convinced MA particularly rates him.

The fact is that Kaebi, Mattock and DJ are all going to play a part on Saturday, and more than likely, Porter isn't.

Edited to note that Campbell was on the bench.

But you're not playing Kaebi either, not even on the bench- how do you think this would help him? You've picked Sheehan ahead of Mattock, which is debatable at best, and DJ doesn't even make the bench. You talk about Fryatt having had ample chances to prove himself- which DJ hasn't and yet you appear to be writing off DJ after him having played less than 90 minutes for the club?

Porter is not good enough to play in that position, simple as. Although I wouldn't mind seeing it for 45 minutes just so that we can say once and for all it doesn't work. He didn't even go to Scotland, so I'm not convinced MA particularly rates him.

The fact is that Kaebi, Mattock and DJ are all going to play a part on Saturday, and more than likely, Porter isn't.

Sensible post. + 5.

Pre-rating for Thracian's senseless (no doubt) reply. - 5.

But you're not playing Kaebi either, not even on the bench- how do you think this would help him? You've picked Sheehan ahead of Mattock, which is debatable at best, and DJ doesn't even make the first team ahead of Fryatt. You talk about Fryatt having had ample chances to prove himself- which DJ hasn't and yet you appear to be writing off DJ after him having played less than 90 minutes for the club?

Edited to note that Campbell was on the bench.

Who the hell is writing Campbell off? He's just not done as much as Fryatt to justify his place. None of our forwards have done a lot but, despite my reservations about the bloke, Fryatt has so far looked the second most dangerous after Hume. So he'd get the shirt, no problem. I don't have favourites or pre-conceived ideas so picking the men in form is no problem to me.

Whether MA rates Porter or not doesn't matter, that's the team I would choose. And I certainly don't know how 45 minutes would prove whether he could play the position or not.

First time he played there for the reserves he was awful (and I said so) but Beaglehole continued with him in central midfield and in virtually all other games he was excellent, even outstanding on occasions. A free role suits him and would give genuine creativity to an already capable midfield.

Kaebi wouldn't get chosen because he's done no training work with his team-mates as yet and no-one knows where he'd best fit in or even how good he is. I had enough of people being rushed into teams before they were ready last season.

PS: Mattock was on the bench too!.

I swear if i hear that one more time! I dont care if hes 10 years old. He's a bag of you know what! As for hendo, hes a good keeper, not the best, but the best at the club by a country mile. Well, that is from what ive heard about Nielsen, aparantly hes awful aswell but i havent seen him to date. I agree, we do need a new keeper, Hendo would make excellent cover to a better keeper, but for now, get hendo between the sticks as hes a brilliant shot stopper and not drastic at every other aspect and also i cant see us bringing in a new keeper after already bringing in Nielsen and also considering we already have hendo, nielsen, logan, and douglas... 5 keepers is a bit OTT.

I'm sorry but this is coming from somebody who said Henderson was the best goalkeeper in the Championship at one point :laugh:

Who the hell is writing Campbell off? He's just not done as much as Fryatt to justify his place. None of our forwards have done a lot but, despite my reservations about the bloke, Fryatt has so far looked the second most dangerous after Hume. So he'd get the shirt, no problem. I don't have favourites or pre-conceived ideas so picking the men in form is no problem to me.

Whether MA rates Porter or not doesn't matter, that's the team I would choose. And I certainly don't know how 45 minutes would prove whether he could play the position or not.

First time he played there for the reserves he was awful (and I said so) but Beaglehole continued with him in central midfield and in virtually all other games he was excellent, even outstanding on occasions. A free role suits him and would give genuine creativity to an already capable midfield.

Kaebi wouldn't get chosen because he's done no training work with his team-mates as yet and no-one knows where he'd best fit in or even how good he is. I had enough of people being rushed into teams before they were ready last season.

PS: Mattock was on the bench too!.

DJ's been here how long? And how long has Fryatt been here? How on earth can you say DJ's not done as much as Fryatt? He's only played minutes Thrac, minutes. He could do with a good hour from the start.

Kaebi needs MATCH PRACTICE with his fellow pros before the season starts. It's all very well having the training drills, but he'll have had long enough on the training pitch this week to get used to his team mates. What he needs now is a match, against decent opposition. How you can compare Kaebi being put in the team to Weso or Fryatt or whoever being rushed back from injury is beyond me. This situation is nowhere near the same and you know it.

I know Mattock was on the bench, but sorry, what has Sheehan done to merit being in ahead of him? The lad was quality at the end of last season, and everything I've heard in pre-season has been more than heartening.

And I would play Stearman in the middle with N'Gotty as I think he's a lot more mobile than McAuley. Chambers is a more than capable right-back. The problem with going forwards isn't a problem if you play proper wingers Thrac.

DJ's been here how long? And how long has Fryatt been here? How on earth can you say DJ's not done as much as Fryatt? He's only played minutes Thrac, minutes. He could do with a good hour from the start.

Kaebi needs MATCH PRACTICE with his fellow pros before the season starts. It's all very well having the training drills, but he'll have had long enough on the training pitch this week to get used to his team mates. What he needs now is a match, against decent opposition. How you can compare Kaebi being put in the team to Weso or Fryatt or whoever being rushed back from injury is beyond me. This situation is nowhere near the same and you know it.

I know Mattock was on the bench, but sorry, what has Sheehan done to merit being in ahead of him? The lad was quality at the end of last season, and everything I've heard in pre-season has been more than heartening.

And I would play Stearman in the middle with N'Gotty as I think he's a lot more mobile than McAuley. Chambers is a more than capable right-back. The problem with going forwards isn't a problem if you play proper wingers Thrac.

"DJ's been here how long? And how long has Fryatt been here? How on earth can you say DJ's not done as much as Fryatt? He's only played minutes Thrac, minutes. He could do with a good hour from the start."

I was talking about close season. I hoped I wouldn't be reminded of Fryatt last season!.

I am quite sure DJ will turn out to be the superstar everyone expects all new signings to be but from what I saw and reports on the games I didn't see in Scotland, there's not been much evidence of it. So if I were picking my first choice side for tomorrow he wouldn't be in it.

Kaebi is totally new to the squad. I doubt he even knows their names. Kaebi does need match practice - when he's got to know his team-mates and has trained his way into contention. Like so many people these days you want to rush everything. We've been without him for weeks. Another couple won't hurt.

I've nothing negative to say about Mattock at all - the lad did fine at the end of last season in left midfield. Nothing marvellous but perfectly well. He'll be left-back now. And, for me, if I wanted to err on the side of defence I would choose

Mattock but I would want to attack. And as always, I'd be mindful of how many goalscorers/creators we have. And, to me, Sheehan offers more in that way.

I'd have no problem playing Chambers, N'Gotty, Stearman. To me it is arguable either way about McAuley/Stearman at centre-back.

As far as wingers are concerned we haven't really got any apart from Gradel. I'm not impressed with the idea of makeshift wingers/midfield hasslers. Too much the Jack of All Trades, master of none for me.

I am quite sure DJ will turn out to be the superstar everyone expects all new signings to be but from what I saw and reports on the games I didn't see in Scotland, there's not been much evidence of it. So if I were picking my first choice side for tomorrow he wouldn't be in it.

IT'S A FRIENDLY TOMORROW. HE NEEDS MATCH FITNESS UNLIKE FRYATT. HE COST £1.6MILLION. YOU DIDN'T GO TO SCOTLAND. YOU SAW HIM FOR ABOUT HALF AN HOUR IN A FRIENDLY MATCH. HOW DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY?!?!! THESE CAPITAL LETTERS ARE ON PURPOSE. YOU ASTOUND ME.

IT'S A FRIENDLY TOMORROW. HE NEEDS MATCH FITNESS UNLIKE FRYATT. HE COST £1.6MILLION. YOU DIDN'T GO TO SCOTLAND. YOU SAW HIM FOR ABOUT HALF AN HOUR IN A FRIENDLY MATCH. HOW DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY?!?!! THESE CAPITAL LETTERS ARE ON PURPOSE. YOU ASTOUND ME.

Quite right Fezzler. Not even sure it was even half an hour.

As for Kaebi Thrac I'm astounded you don't think he's ready to be included. If we wait for him to sort the language barrier out we'll be waiting months. If he's a good enough player, he'll cope.

I can't believe you've said that Gradel is our only out and out winger, I'm not even going to go there.

As for Kaebi Thrac I'm astounded you don't think he's ready to be included. If we wait for him to sort the language barrier out we'll be waiting months. If he's a good enough player, he'll cope.

I can't believe you've said that Gradel is our only out and out winger, I'm not even going to go there.

He's the only one out and out of the team.

Perhaps you'll enlighten me on what you saw against Notts County or what you saw/read about in the Scotland matches, why Campbell should be ahead of Hume/Fryatt for tomorrow's friendly. Ignoring his £1.6 transfer fee.

As for Gradel he is our only out and out winger. He has speed, beats people and has been a prolific goalscorer in each of the last two seasons.

Newton is not what I would call an effective winger. He rarely scores, is only quick for brief periods and doesn't even make a lot of goals though his chipped cross for Fryatt's goal against Notts county was clever enough.

But Newton will not be involved in enough goals to make us a top six bet.

Porter's not a real winger either. He was moved to central midfield by Beaglehole, presumably for more effectiveness. He doesn't have the pace to go past people and stay past. To repeat a point made before, his strength is in his passing and his eye for a pass.

I suppose you could call Ryan Beswick a genuine winger but I don't see him competing for that position at this stage - although MA's using him as a left-back looked promising.

If you think we've got genuine wingers by all means tell me who. Perhaps you think Hayes is the answer. He looked positive enough against Hinckley but made very little impression as a winger against Notts County when the defensive part of his game and ball retaining in midfield was hardly convincing.

1055505281_esThatjoke.JPG

I'm not sure of the context of that quote but it matters not because I think he was intended as an out and out winger but he doesn't show his considerable speed very often in a game and he doesn't seem productive enough for what we want.

Situations are fluid in football. I wouldn't want to condemn Newton's signing during the close season simply based on last season's performances and believe he's an okay standby. But not one who'll do enough on the wing to lift us into the promotion chasers.

If you disagree just say so. I wish I felt differently.

Perhaps you'll enlighten me on what you saw against Notts County or what you saw/read about in the Scotland matches, why Campbell should be ahead of Hume/Fryatt for tomorrow's friendly. Ignoring his £1.6 transfer fee.

Because he needs match fitness. We already know plenty about Fryatt and Hume - and they should be match fit by now. You don't select players for friendlies based on a dodgy conception of merit - you select them so that by the start of the season, as many players as possible are raring to go and then you can choose from a fully-fit squad with what you think your best XI might be. When players don't have proper pre-seasons it often haunts them and to neglect Campbell in the way you suggest would handicap him in a big way when there is already pressure to perform.

Because he needs match fitness. We already know plenty about Fryatt and Hume - and they should be match fit by now. You don't select players for friendlies based on a dodgy conception of merit - you select them so that by the start of the season, as many players as possible are raring to go and then you can choose from a fully-fit squad with what you think your best XI might be. When players don't have proper pre-seasons it often haunts them and to neglect Campbell in the way you suggest would handicap him in a big way when there is already pressure to perform.

That's a good enough point but who said I'd neglect him? He's in the squad and would likely get the second half. I think it is just as important to see if Fryatt's fitness and form holds up and whether the Hume/Fryatt partnership can flourish in the new, supposedly improved, set-up.

Nielson

Chambers

kisnorbo

N'gotty

Mattock

Kaebi

Clemence

Kishishev

Porter

Hume

Campbell

Sub Nielson off for Henderson

Chambers off Stearman on

Weso on for Kishishev

Odihambo on at some point

That'd be something like what i'd do, however I think MA will have other plans. But then again you never know as great minds do think alike lol:P

Surely we have to start with the closest team we can get to our starting line up against Blackpool.

yes players need fitness work but we need to start the league campaign with a win and therefore the team that will play that day must play from the offset imo.

What Martin allen thinks that team will be We don't know but I think that only the following players ae sure to start.

Neilsen

N'Gotty

clemence

Kishishev

all other places I believe are still up for grabs.

right back either Stearman or Chambers though Kaebi could play there

left back mattcok/sheehan or hopefully not chambers (still think we need to sign a left back)

left midfield simply don't think we have a quality player for that position

centre back Kisnorbo suspended for 1st 2 games so guess Mccauley will start.

rt midfield newton looks a strong possibility but last season looked ordinary at best. Kaebi might therefore start.

strikers

here lies the biggest quandry.

hume looks a cert but if we play him then we really need a different type of option. cort isn't fit and isn't any good anyway. MDv simply not up to it.

fryatt has some nice touches quick feet but lacks the required pace/physical prescence

DJ loads of pace but again quite easily knocked off the ball.

probably have to start with Hume and Dj but personally I think all strikers have a chance to play.

Eric o has looked qite good in pre season but not sure he is ready to step up.

I'm not sure of the context of that quote but it matters not because I think he was intended as an out and out winger but he doesn't show his considerable speed very often in a game and he doesn't seem productive enough for what we want.

Situations are fluid in football. I wouldn't want to condemn Newton's signing during the close season simply based on last season's performances and believe he's an okay standby. But not one who'll do enough on the wing to lift us into the promotion chasers.

If you disagree just say so. I wish I felt differently.

It was the name Thracian. It was changed. I changed the name of the winger. It...oh, never mind... :D

That's a good enough point but who said I'd neglect him? He's in the squad and would likely get the second half. I think it is just as important to see if Fryatt's fitness and form holds up and whether the Hume/Fryatt partnership can flourish in the new, supposedly improved, set-up.

As Fez said, friendlies are all about building up the fitness of the players and giving people a run out - fitness first result and performance second.

What do you want to happen? Leave DJ and then just sling him into the action when he hasn't played a game for a few months?

Archived