Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
marbelladave

Have we done enough!

I am watching this pre-season, admitably from a distance, with a mounting sense of unease! We have brought in a new manager and a dozen or so new players, but will they be good enough to get us promotion THIS SEASON!

And it has to be this season!

Next season the clubs relegated from the Prem will be awash with prize money and parachute payments (£30m+) so will be odds on to go straight back up. This likely to become the norm in years to come, dislodging just one of them will be a herculean task for any regular Championship side.

So are the players up to it? Is MA? Will MM be ambitious enough to put up enough cash to make it happen? Will I get any sleep before saturday?

BTW Can't get to the Blackpool game but with luck should be able to get to Palace.

Nothing to do with the thread, but can't you change the wording under your avatar??

"overlooking the med, just outside Marbella really pisses me off!

Especially when I am overlooking jack shit just outside Chatham.

Cheers!

I am watching this pre-season, admitably from a distance, with a mounting sense of unease! We have brought in a new manager and a dozen or so new players, but will they be good enough to get us promotion THIS SEASON!

Next season the clubs relegated from the Prem will be awash with prize money and parachute payments (£30m+) so will be odds on to go straight back up. This likely to become the norm in years to come, dislodging just one of them will be a herculean task for any regular Championship side.

So are the players up to it? Is MA? Will MM be ambitious enough to put up enough cash to make it happen? Will I get any sleep before saturday?

BTW Can't get to the Blackpool game but with luck should be able to get to Palace.

Unfortunately I think, not.

We need a stronger left side, an addition in midfield (creative) and in my opinion a stronger striker. ( I don't think MDV will cut it and Cort will have a better relationship with the physio than the players.)

That said, I have blind belief and hope as much as the next blue blooded person beside me. If we are looking good in December I can see Milan putting in more cash...)

Clubs for me at the moment that seem likely to be the promotion pushing clubs are Charlton, Sheffield United and Wolves. Lets hope we are close to them in five months time.

N.

Nothing to do with the thread, but can't you change the wording under your avatar??

"overlooking the med, just outside Marbella really pisses me off!

Especially when I am overlooking jack shit just outside Chatham.

Cheers!

Just to cheer you up, weather is lousy, hazy grey overcast, humid and rain on the way tonite / tommorrow .

Even worse, place is full of holiday makers!

We have brought in a new manager and a dozen or so new players, but will they be good enough to get us promotion THIS SEASON!

No it doesn't. There's a strong possibilty that I'll be missing games next season, and I'm not having my run broken whilst in the Promised Land, thank you!

No it doesn't. There's a strong possibilty that I'll be missing games next season, and I'm not having my run broken whilst in the Promised Land, thank you!

Seriously, will it even be possible for us to get promotion if we miss out this year? The financial clout of the relegated clubs will make that very difficult!

Where are you off to? Commuting is possible! (Thank you Easyjet) ;)

Seriously, will it even be possible for us to get promotion if we miss out this year? The financial clout of the relegated clubs will make that very difficult!

Where are you off to? Commuting is possible! (Thank you Easyjet) ;)

I'm doing a part-time degree, and one of the final year modules is 7.30-9.00 on a Tuesday night. Given the choice between watching City, or getting a good degree, well.................

HELP!!!!

I'm doing a part-time degree, and one of the final year modules is 7.30-9.00 on a Tuesday night. Given the choice between watching City, or getting a good degree, well.................

HELP!!!!

Part timer :rolleyes:

HELP!!!!

Go to the footy!

Batchelors degrees are overated, finished my engineering degree in the mid 70s, so I did the only sensible thing and went to work in the music business!

Still it could be worse, for me to get to a saturday home game means getting up around 5.00am, early flight to Stansted, hire car, drive to Leicester arriving in time for a pint and a sandwich before the game. After the game, drive back to Stanstead, crappy meal at the airport and last flight home!

London games are the easiest, flight to Gatwick and the rest by train. Easier, cheaper and means i can have more than the one beer! Palace next week, Charlton next month! :scarf:

Midweek games are generally out of the question. :frusty:

I swear

Has been posted directly before :S Anyway, I doubt we will get promotion this season. Not unless we make some quality January signings and MA gets the best out of our players.

You have to put things into context mate. We have finished near the relegation zone in the last two seasons and haven't done much better the seasons before that. Yes, some want instant promotion but if it doesn't happen, we should have a fantastic base in terms of players to add to the squad to make us even stronger.

As for the relegated clubs from the Premiership, yes they may have more cash to spend but the ambitions of players mean that they will always lose there best international class players back to the premiership which will substantially weaken them. They may not have to financially but they wont be able to keep hold of there better players, just like Charlton have had to do this season.

One thing that alarms me is that some of the players he's brought in dont appear to be getting a look in at the moment. I know we need cover but i thought the idea of spending so much was to improve on the players we have? Stearman for example had a shocker last season and a player has been bought to cover his position yet stearman looks to have kept his place?

One thing that alarms me is that some of the players he's brought in dont appear to be getting a look in at the moment. I know we need cover but i thought the idea of spending so much was to improve on the players we have? Stearman for example had a shocker last season and a player has been bought to cover his position yet stearman looks to have kept his place?

It's a different Stearman though. Many young players have an iffy second season and, whatever the reason, Stearman rarely looked at his best in 2006/2007.

This year he looks fit, motivated and much closer to his best.

Others are the same like Wesolowski, Fryatt, Sheehan and even Logan looked better to me.

I know he's not young but the change in DeVries is also extraordinary. Who could have guessed he'd be a selection option?

Suddenly MA doesn't just have his own signings but long-standing players who are back to their best and adding to the genuine competition.

In fact, as a manager, MA probably deserves +0.5 for getting so many underperforming players back in contention (+15 overall).

You cant kill off a young player because he has gone off the rails a bit can you?! Both him and Matty Fryatt had poor seasons but they could have been for any number of reasons from having a weak manager to having poor class team mates. Both aforementioned players have shown ability and have there best years ahead of them.

The squad itself has improved drastically from this time last season. Its sometimes hard to believe that we started last season with cack like COG, AJ, Low and then had players like Maybury and Hughes as guaranteed starters. Now we have options all over the pitch and teh promise of more new players to come.

Gotta say i'll beleive it when i see it. when the pressures on in a game then thats the crunch point and whether their form is back to thei best will then be shown.

One thing that saddens me is that fryatt might not get a look in this season. I really rate him and think hes miles better than the people we have brought in this season but he just doesn thave the height.

Gotta say i'll beleive it when i see it. when the pressures on in a game then thats the crunch point and whether their form is back to thei best will then be shown.

One thing that saddens me is that fryatt might not get a look in this season. I really rate him and think hes miles better than the people we have brought in this season but he just doesn thave the height.

If you are a young player who is in a side that has a right-back playing at left-back (Maybury), Low on the wing and COG as a forward with AJ strolling his fat arse around the pitch, you may go into a footballing depression yourself! This season is totally different as we have some winners like Clem, N`Gotty and Kish in the squad to kick the slackers up the backside. we also have a manager that wont let them get away with it. One thing though, there will be tough times ahead and we may start the season poorly as I fully expect it to take time for this squad to mould into a class side but we are much better for it this season than any of the last 5.

The squad itself has improved drastically from this time last season. Its sometimes hard to believe that we started last season with cack like COG, AJ, Low and then had players like Maybury and Hughes as guaranteed starters. Now we have options all over the pitch and teh promise of more new players to come.

But has it improved enough, that is my point.?

I remain concerned that getting promotion will only get harder because of the money issue, I really think this year is our best chance but I guess half of the Championship feel the same way.

I think this is going to be the most stressful season since relegation, made even worse by the fact that I will be lucky to see 15-20 games (home and away) this season. Hopefully if we are pushing for promotion we might get a few more games on Sky!

:thumbup:

But has it improved enough, that is my point.?

I remain concerned that getting promotion will only get harder because of the money issue, I really think this year is our best chance but I guess half of the Championship feel the same way.

I think this is going to be the most stressful season since relegation, made even worse by the fact that I will be lucky to see 15-20 games (home and away) this season. Hopefully if we are pushing for promotion we might get a few more games on Sky!

:thumbup:

I dont think there can be any doubt that we have improved. We have added players that even Premiership clubs wanted or wanted to keep hold of in players like N`Gotty and Clemence and all in all, we havent signed anybody that cant contribute well. We havent sold as many as first anticipated so even though we have got some players that we dont know too much about at this stage, ie Hellings, Nielsen and Kaebi, the facts are that by adding 12 players, some who have £1m+ transfer fees attached to them that the squad must be stronger.

I don't see why Fryatt should feature much more sensibly than last season when he was first choice so often while still short of match fitness after injury or simply out of form.

Our top five strikers right now are Hume, Campbell, Fryatt, DeVries, Odhiambo and I'm sure MA could rotate the bench effectively enough to use them all, even if injury doesn't cost one of them his place fairly regularly.

Don't be so unkind to Kent Fox.

I have been to Chatham, give him a break.

:cool:

BTW weather still pretty naff in this part of the world, hazy grey overcast, can barely see the sea which is only about half a mile away.

:(

Archived