Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

#4 Starcaptain Flynny.

First bit of feedback on this. I listened to it in the car, driving to worthing and back a couple of times. I didn't have the track names/artists etc with me, just the cd (well, 2 cds as it turned out) - and I really enjoyed it as a whole.

I know the Air song (amongst others) from previous listening... and the Air song on here is fantastic. I really, really like it.

I only skipped one track on the entire cd which I was fairly confident was Joy Division and looking at the track listing now - they are now so that must be it.

I'll do a proper review very soon, I promise.

Really good cd to drive to, by the way.

16. Two Headed Boy Part 2 - Neutral Milk Hotel

Boyband anyone? I can only hear James Morrison/Blunt in there. Not Good. 5/10

Just remembered I meant to go mental at this. Jeff Mangum is a genuinely tortured soul and poetic genius. I do not give a shit how clichéd that sounds. After this album only this song appeared before he had a breakdown and virtually disappeared. James Morrisson and James Blunt are shitstains on the pants of society. That have been worn whilst committing genocide. Honestly, listen again. Even if it's not your thing that kind of comparision is actually appalling. :/

i love fglynny. :D

I love anyone that has that much passion for th emusic they listen to tbh. swhat pisses me off so much bout a lot of kidsz listenin to whatever scene shit mtv2 and the nme and whatever tell em to listen to. its what pisses me off about modern "indie". indie =independent. Is it bollocks this days. overmarketed, overhyped, overexposed bullshit. I dont give a tossing FCUK if it's "local", it's still crap. bands get noticed these days if the frontman's fit or they play the same shit as everyone else and it fcucking blows.

I love flynny. :D

I love anyone that has that much passion for the music they listen to tbh. What pisses me off so much about a lot of kids listening to whatever scene shit mtv2 and the nme and whatever tell em to listen to. Its what pisses me off about modern "indie". Indie =independent. It is bollocks this days. Overmarketed, overhyped, overexposed bullshit. I dont give a tossing FUCK if it's "local", it's still crap. Bands get noticed these days if the frontman's fit or they play the same shit as everyone else and it fucking blows.

Quick, Finners, paste that into your post and get to bed, no-one'll be any the wiser. :D

. Interpol.

after an unusually long intro, i was hoping that this would break into something great, t didn't. and the voice dragged it even further into dreariness. not a good start. 3/10

2. Brakes.

was this the one that people were talking about the pixies? just a bit, throw in some talking heads too... the song isn't bad, doesn't really grab me tho 5/10

3. British Sea Power.

more of the same here... but this at least has a bit of character, like the chorus, reminds me a bit of prolapse 6/10

4. Radiohead.

oh, this is way poppier than i expected. Unlike the first few songs, the are dangerous hints of a song in here somewhere. probably the best so far, i could actually listen to this again 6,5/10

5. Art Brut.

there is something appealing about this that so far the others haven't had, this gets better and better, i am intrigued... 8/10

6. Boy Least Likely To.

nice for a change, and there are actually a few chords in this song. i don't mind this, the chimes are annoying, and the song itself is rather simple, but i love the sound of the kick drum and the organy thing, listenable, if uninspiring 6/10

7. Brakes (again.)

whatever... 1/10

8. Air.

i'm love/hate with air... when they are good they are good, when they are bad they suck (darkel - anyone?) ...this i like, but i know this album so i guess that helps, not their best but after all those guitars, much needed 7/10

9. Jim Noir.

this sits oddly in this mix, quelle surprise, i like this a lot, this is my kinda thing and would have prefered a few more of these kinda tracks to break up the guitars... 8,5/10

10. The Walkmen.

oh no, this makes me feel very uncomfortable - did someone mention rod stewart, before? 2/10

11. I'm From Barcelona.

i've heard something else by this lot that was way better, i think the shift to the chorus is the best bit actually, but from a songwriting point of view, this is a bit unfinished. 5/10

12. Wire.

this lot are partly to blame for the endless dreary prententious whiny voiced bands around today, and it isn't even that great when they do. ok chorus, but a nothingy song really, i'm sure they've done better 6/10

13. Joy Division.

same as above really, i like a few JD songs, and everyone thinks it's cool to try to sound like them now which is tragic as the production values make me retch.. i don't mind this song, but it's nothing i'd wish i'd written 6/10

14. More Brakes.

i like the backing vocals, but the song sounds very sixth form, how old are thes boys, please say under 20 or they should never have been signed 4/10 (just for the BVs) -oh, this is the JAMC track, ha, nuff said, oh dear, what a sad decline...

15. The Rakes.

and this is the most derivattive song yet 1/10 for the piano

16. Neutral Milk Hotel.

difficult intro - but definately not james blunt, i can understand your complaint. this is powerful and well constructed, in the tradition of rootsy singer/songwriters. i would investigate further 8/10

17. Of Montreal.

i listened to some of their stuff before, and wasn't impressed, but i like this, i really get this, like the tones and the stacatto guitar, maybe i need to hear a bit more of them - oh, maybe that's why i didn't like them, not keen on his voice, shame, love the backing 7/10

18. M83.

in-ter-est-ing. now i already sourced some of their stuff due to previous reviews here, and i can see what the fuss is, tho i'm sure this is more analogue than electronica... cool retro, yet fresh and modern 8/10

19. Wire.

"Better than I Am the Fly and far more instantly likable" agreed tho 6,5/10.

20. AkRon.

another difficult start, very atmospheric but ultimately not very easy-listening. it does improve and when the full band are in there it is warm and good, but could i listen to a whole album? don't really think so... 6,5/10

21. The Capes.

didn't go where i was expecting, and ended up somewhere...ok? i'm glad to hear you are a fan of organs, good man...but. no, i needed this to go somewhere else, promising... 5/10

22. M83 again.

are these german, this reminds me of a cross between ulrich snaus (sp) and freiheit (sp)... but it's all good, not sure i can listen to it for 10 minutes just nice, tho it is so cosy, i might drift off.....

right, well, i think LFF (the general) summed this compilation up perfectly, some real highs and some dreadful lows, but that, i guess is to be expected... the simple fact is i have gone looking for four bands from hearing this so many thanks and good job done....

• 2 weeks later...

1. Untitled – Interpol

A bit of a drab opener, and possibly shouldn’t have been picked as the first song. The song itself was not that good either. 4/10

2. Ring a Ding – Brakes

This however SHOULD have been the opening track! Slightly wacky song and made me smile. 6,5/10

3. Apologies To Insect Life - British Sea Power

Heard a lot about them on here, but haven’t heard any of their music before this. It didn’t appeal to me. Crashing noises that make you cringe is not exactly my idea of good music. Oh well, hope that was a one off… 3/10

4. Lewis (Mistreated) – Radiohead

Hadn’t heard this song before either. Nothing like the Radiohead songs I know. It didn’t grab my attention as such though, the riff was just too ordinary. 5/10

5. Modern Art - Art Brut

Have only heard a song or two by these guys. It’s got something addictive about it. I didn’t think the song as such was that good, but I want to hear that again! Strange… 6,5/10

6. The Battle Of The Boy Least Likely To - The Boy Least Likely To

Hmmm there’s just something amateurish about his voice. The bloke can’t sing at all! And if it’s supposed to ‘sound’ like that, then that isn’t for me. 2,5/10

7. Cheney – Brakes

Huh?? Made me chuckle… N/A

8. Dead Bodies – Air

I like Air generally, though this song obviously isn’t one you’d normally hear being played anywhere. They’re all about atmosphere I think, and the choir backing gives it just that dreamy feeling. It’s a bit monotonous though, and the hyperactive drums did not fit with the rest I think. It had elements that I liked though. 7/10

9. My Patch - Jim Noir

Another quirky track, so inoffensive on the surface. Makes me think of people that have a fear of clowns (the circus sounds helped) because they’re just funny and harmless, but if you ever step on their toes, they’ll cut your throat! Liked it! 7,5/10

10. North Pole - The Walkmen

This song had absolutely nothing. Boring. 3/10

11. Ola Kala - I'm From Barcelona

No, this doesn’t do it for me. I really don’t like the lyrics, so cheesy. 0,5/10

12. Wire - I Am The Fly

Hmmm another boring/unspectacular song. And annoying. 2/10

13. Joy Division - Digital

What’s the big deal with Joy Division? Repetitive and boring… I’m left a bit dumbfounded here… 3/10

14. Brakes - Sometimes Always

It’s slightly better than the previous four songs, but sadly that’s not saying much. I felt you started out ok, so I’m a bit disappointed so far. 4/10

15. The Rakes - Open Book

A bit better again, but very mediocre. Still, I’m encouraged, hoping it will get better with each song again. 5/10

16. Neutral Milk Hotel - Two Headed Boy Pt.II

Much better! The first half of this song, that is until he suddenly squeals and made myself run for cover. “And you watched as your brains fell out through your teeth…” … ? Some messed up lyrics in there, but better than “Everything is gonna be OK”-crap on track #11! 6/10

17. Of Montreal - We Were Born The Mutants Again With Leafling

What’s up with bands having to find sillier and sillier names for songs and their own band? Anyway, a refreshing song. Very unusual structure and quite uneasy especially with the feel-good factor the backing vocals give. You feel they’re messing with your brain a bit. Like that, it was interesting. 7/10

18. M83 - Night

Yeah not bad. I like this kind of music once in a while when studying and I’ll listen to it again. Instrumental music is not appreciated enough…7/10

19. Wire - Options R

They don’t do much for me. Not a bad song, but I won’t play it again. 5/10

20. Akron/Family - Lumen

The queasy violins remind me a bit of Björk. It’s a bit too strange for me to fully appreciate. The second part was superior to the first. It’s got some appeal, and when I’m in the mood to listen to this, I’ll give it another try. 6/10

21. The Capes - Sunroof

Like Vålerengas comment, it just fails to develop into something that really would make it stick out. As it stands it kind of fizzled out. 5,5/10

22. M83 - Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun

Are these guys related to Sigur Ros? The dreamy soundscapes and the slow tempo and the whole feel of it definitely reminds me of them. Elements of Jean Michel Jarre as well (choir). Lovely song that’ll stay on my list for sure. It’s just a couple of minutes too long though. 8,5/10

Overall 5

I liked this mix, and had it not been for the black hole (Tracks 10-15) it would have gotten a far more respectable (and fair) rating too. Couple of really good tracks that I’ll keep, and my thanks to you for that.

Archived