Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

#4 Starcaptain Flynny.

FLYNNY'S FOXESTALK CD SWAP CLICK HERE.

Brrap. Reviewskis to follow.

The man says:

Okay first a note: SORRY.

It's a fair chunk more than an hour. I had it nicely trimmed to about an hour and then had a crisis of conscience and had to swap out some tracks for longer ones that are more typical of what I like. I've actually angsted over this for hours but what I've got now is probably quite a fair reflection of what I like.

The first half of this is generally more direct than the 2nd. Also I've titled the files with numbers so play them in order otherwise I'll have to shit on someone's face. And not in the kinky way (this time).

And one last thing, "Sunroof" is a poor quality file that also hiccups a little bit. Sorry in advance.

Im already a big fan of this cd. A lot of old favourites here.

Cheney :wub:

My Patch :wub:

Modern Art :wub:

Ring A Ding :wub:

Plus songs Rakes, Boy Least Likely Too, Joy Division, Of Montreal and Akon. Good times.

Cannot wait for this. This is definately more my bag.

1. Untitled - Interpol

Never bean a fan of Interpol and this showed me again why, its just drab and whiny. 5/10

2. Ring a Ding - Brakes

GREAT SONG! 9/10

3. Apologies To Insect Life - British Sea Power

First listen to BSP and i really like. 8/10

4. Lewis (Mistreated) - Radiohead

Not a fan of Radiohead either but this is a nice upbeat song. Not what ive come to expect from Yorke and co. Not bad. 7/10

5. Modern Art - Art Brut

Well im already aware how good this song is. Art Brut makes me want rock out! 10/10

6. The Battle Of The Boy Least Likely To - The Boy Least Likely To

'Warm milk and honey, sweet on my teeth' - says it all. :D 8/10

1. Interpol.

I have a distinct prejudice against Interpol. I saw them live shortly after hearing them on record (and was quite eager to see them[!]) and they were the single most boring band I've ever seen in the flesh. Generally I'm a fan of up-tempo music, so this breed of dreary, unimaginative drone royally bores me. It's this voice that did it, I think, the screwdriver-on-pickups 'solo' saved the song and for that alone I'd probably make myself listen to it again but generally it was just a Radiohead album track without the pseudo-intellectualism. 4/10. [That said, if you'd have caught me last night with this when I listened to Fez's, I'd have probably been more welcoming due to mood.]

2. Brakes.

The hell?! :D:blink: Much better! Far more original, far more interesting and far more enjoyable to listen to. Very easy to appreciate and very listenable, it'll make it's way into my library. 8/10.

3. British Sea Power.

I have to say I quite like British Sea Power. I don't think I've heard this before, but it felt familiar. Energetic and 'full', easily as enjoyable as Brakes. 8/10.

4. Radiohead.

I think I've argued with you before about Radiohead. I'm sure it was you that took offence at me branding them the most over-rated band pretty much ever. =P. My opinion hasn't really much changed, but this wasn't a bad song. It just wasn't really 'me' either. 6/10.

5. Art Brut.

Check out Cass & Henry by the Von Bondies. I couldn't help but think of the VBs the whole way through this, this is a bit 'livelier' but it's basically the same concept. If Eddie Argos tells me he didn't listen to Lack of Communication before writing the vocal stylings of this then I'll brand him a liar (though, in fairness, the VBs probably got inspired by something else.) Good song though, I enjoyed. 7/10.

6. Boy Least Likely To.

I was bored a minute in. I was bored two minutes in. I was bored three minutes in. I kept expecting some great rousing crescendo that never came and before I knew it I was listening to... [3/10.]

7. Brakes (again.)

... for all of ten seconds. Nice interlude!

8. Air.

Now this I could listen to for hours. I don't know what else much more to say, truthfully, but I enjoyed it a lot. I'll come back to it when I'm in a far more chilled out mood and proably go in search of more of their stuff. 8/10.

9. Jim Noir.

Erm, yeah. Not sure. Possibly something I can see myself enjoying but I'm really just not feeling it at all. I'll come back to it, for now just an average. 6/10.

10. The Walkmen.

Ugh. Infuriating voice. Fairly monotone throughout, I found it a little bland to be truthful. Picked up somewhat, but I wouldn't go out of my way to play it again OR turn it off. 6/10.

11. I'm From Barcelona.

Quite an intriguing intro and a rather unusual shift once the music kicked in. The contrast in the parts unsettled me somewhat, individually I liked both but I felt the transitions were awkward. I imagine it was intentional and I also imagine that for others that's the reason they enjoy it. A surprise for me, I thought I'd eventually dislike it when it started but then it was over and I still liked it. Nice enough. 7/10.

12. Wire.

Aaaaah. The delicate tones of the Lahn-dan draaawwwl. Oi am the floooi in tha oiintmaaant. Something else I wasn't really in the mood for but another I feel I'll come back to it with more appreciation. 7/10.

13. Joy Division.

To be really, really, really honest - I'd rather listen to Kate Nash than Joy Division. I don't really care how influencial they were or how big they were or how many people love them, I can't stand Ian Curtis' voice and I've never liked their music. I'm not ignorant to call them a "poor" band, their legacy suggests otherwise. But they're hugely not for me. 1/10.

14. More Brakes.

Mhh. I hugely preferred the other song but I liked it still, a little 'sludgey' (to use a deeply technical term) musically but the vocals in contrast were fairly cheerful and I enjoyed it. 7/10.

15. The Rakes.

No.

16. Neutral Milk Hotel.

By the measures I've judged most of the rest of your mix, I should loathe this. But I just don't, really. There's just something very listenable about it, I'd come back to it certainly. Nice. 7/10.

17. Of Montreal.

Immensely relaxing, in a hippyish lying-on-the-grass-staring-at-the-clouds sort of way. I want a daisy chain and face paints and a spliff. 7/10.

18. M83.

Solid and again, very easy to listen to, which seems to be something of a theme in a lot of your music. This mixtape business is certainly churning out a good line in electronic instrumental music, which I approve of far more than the indie. Heh. I liked. 7/10.

19. Wire.

Better than I Am the Fly and far more instantly likable. 8/10.

20. AkRon.

It probably won't surprise me that I skipped to the end about half way through to see if it had changed at all. Not my thing at all, sorry. 4/10.

21. The Capes.

Most of the instrumental more experimental stuff I've enjoyed to be honest but this was just bland. 5/10.

22. M83 again.

The ten minute beast was well and truly worth slapping on. The best thing on here, I felt. I'll certainly come back to this this evening when I'm sprawled out in bed with the lamp on. 9/10.

Overall: Predictably I wasn't interested in some of the indie and post-rock/punk stuff but predominantly it was solid, likable and consistently 'quality' throughout. My taste in music is, without wanting to sound overly pretentious, pretty broadly eclectic and I'm entertained by post genres of music as long as it's good music. I'd listen to most of this again and I'm grateful for the mix! Nicely done, sir. 7.5/10.

Glad you liked it and got the mood I was going for. I don't have enough "big" electronic music.

I get why people don't like Interpol. I could take or leave his voice but I think they're fantastically interesting musically. Maybe should have whacked something slightly more fun to listen to on.

M83 are actually incredible. There's not one band I ever liked so much so quickly, almost instantly.

And with Radiohead I went for a "hey look they can make quite solid upbeat music occasionally!" B-side.

1. I can listen to Interpol - but it really does nothing for me. I'd rather be sorting out the cupboard upstairs. Or washing the dishes. Or fast-forwarding to the next track.

Which is what I did.

2. Praise the Lord for The Pixies - where would we be without quiet-loud-quiet derivatives? That said, more songs should be 1'37''.

3. BSP then do their best to carry on the Frank Black tribute. It's well done - but I am more than happy to listen to Surfer Rosa instead.

4. I liked Radiohead before they were famous. Yea - that's how ****ing cool I am. Yey me! It's also an indication of how ****ing old I am too. Boo!

5. Art Brut - quite awful, but at least it allows me to retell one of my all-time favourite jokes..."I don't know much about art but I know what I like: Stock car racing."

6. The Boy Least Likely to make me replay a song was this one. Jesus - Why do people bother writing these songs?

7. Brakes - excellent. The musical equivalent of a bar of Milky Way, a snack so light you can have it inbetween songs and it won't fill up your CD.

8. Air. Air rock. I like them AND they are French

9. Jim Noir. Pointless seems to be the only word I can think of to describe this song that was four minutes and 4 seconds too long.

10. Walkmen. I had a Walkman when they came out. I replaced it with a kickarse one, the size of a C90 tape box plus a little bit. It had a rubberised outside and a little graphic equaliser. I had many tunes on it that sounded a lot like this...because this sounds a lot like any other meandering Indie tune. What differentiates this from anything? I bet the band aren't even rubberised.

11. "Have you ever felt nothing is ever going your way?" Well, yes actually. Especially on this mix so far....and then....

12. BANG! The best track made by Wire, a most under-rated band.

13. I never listened to Joy Division much at the time and I have never really listened to them since. A most over-rated band.

14. Brakes II - It really should be possible to make a song without raiding the Pixies back catalogue. It should be but it probably isn't. Modern (indie) life is rubbish.

15. I love this Rakes track simply because it injects a little originality, competence and passion into the genre...and there's so few that do anymore. Delightfully unlike any Pixies track whatsoever.

16. I'm old enough to have forgotten what a bitch it is to be young at times; to be full of teen-angst and messed up by unrequited love or besotted by some glimpse of a smile across a room. This kind of self-indulgent bollocks that spews from the post-pubescant will be one of the first things to be banned under draconian laws

I plan on introducing when President of the World. Next will be a crackdown on any teen attempting to write poetry.

17. I knew a teacher from Montreal, she was mental. She formed 'too-close' relationships with 15year old boys. As interesting as that is, Canada was recently voted one of the world's most boring countries...so it comes as no surprise that anything using the word Montreal should inspire a sense of torpidity.

18. And then, tucked away, near the end, M83. It's a delight when you discover something of quality. I'm a fan - before I start scanning Isohunt, is the rest of their stuff in a similar vein?

19. I'm not a fan of repeating bands on a compilation, especially when I've heard them before.

20. I have two images in my head. The first is a sad indie kid sitting on his bed, listening to this in a darkened room, in his middle class house, feeling sorry for himself because he never knew real pain and suffering. The second is a group of overweight, middle-aged women doing some kind of feminist drama performance/dance-improv to this. This upsets me a lot.

21. Capes: The sunroof is something that would seem to be a brilliant idea - but when it is open it either creates a lot of noise or makes your hair look stupid...consequently, if you look at cars on the road, no one has their sun roof open even though they paid £500-odd for it as an optional extra. Instead, the drivers of sunroof cars look bitterly at the clever people who wisely invested in cabriolets with a collapsing roof. The sunroof is good if the car is very hot as you can open it, let the hot air out and then close it - in this country it means the sunroof is useful three days a year. The song? Ugh.

22. I said - never repeat bands on a compilation. I was wrong. What I should have said was 'upload an entire M83 album instead of this indie stuff'. I have definitely found a new band to like a lot...which means I say thank you Flynny. I have a nephew called Flynny - he's a funny little tyke, all messed up hair and scuffed knees. I doubt he would listen to this mix though, he's 5.

Once again - thanks for M83 :thumbup:

18. And then, tucked away, near the end, M83. It's a delight when you discover something of quality. I'm a fan - before I start scanning Isohunt, is the rest of their stuff in a similar vein?

Everything is along those lines, apart from his new album (Saturdays = Youth) which has more of an 80's feel to it and I'm not sure I like the change... I'd say start off with any of his previous 3 albums they're all great. :thumbup:

Everything is along those lines, apart from his new album (Saturdays = Youth) which has more of an 80's feel to it and I'm not sure I like the change... I'd say start off with any of his previous 3 albums they're all great. :thumbup:

Ooooo.

You're right.

I thought 'hang on, this is OK...Mark must be going mad' and then the second track hit. Then the third. Then the fourth...and then the little 'x' delete box got clicked. :(

That playlist originally had "Crackity Jones" and "Stormy Weather" in it, incidentally.

"Sometimes always" is a Jesus and Mary Chain cover (i really dislike the original, as it happens) who were contemporary to the Pixies, so pinning that as a raid on their back catalogue is slightly off.

Not that I mind. I was reading most of what you wrote with a massive grin. :D

That playlist originally had "Crackity Jones" and "Stormy Weather" in it, incidentally.

"Sometimes always" is a Jesus and Mary Chain cover (i really dislike the original, as it happens) who were contemporary to the Pixies, so pinning that as a raid on their back catalogue is slightly off.

Not that I mind. I was reading most of what you wrote with a massive grin. :D

Aside from the fact that JAMC peaked in 85, ebbed in 87 and were the walking dead after that...during which The Pixies changed the world...and then split...and then JAMC tried to emulate them when they released this in 94.

I'd put stuff from Psychocandy on an all-time favourites tape...but Sometimes Always is wet. It is the dumpy kid not being picked for the football team by the gym wall. And that kid probably smells a bit of urine.

:D

Aside from the fact that JAMC peaked in 85, ebbed in 87 and were the walking dead after that...during which The Pixies changed the world...and then split...and then JAMC tried to emulate them when they released this in 94.

I'd put stuff from Psychocandy on an all-time favourites tape...but Sometimes Always is wet. It is the dumpy kid not being picked for the football team by the gym wall. And that kid probably smells a bit of urine.

:D

I thought it was 92 for some reason. Your point would still stand, just not quite so strongly. did you at least prefer this version? And I distinctly remember posting the other day that "Some Candy Talking" was supposed to be on here too.

Early JAMC was less loud quiet loud and more LOUD.

Do your own CD at the end of it would you instead of using someone elses (admittedly good as it was)? I'd be interested to hear it.

Funny you should both say that - I've been doing one now - but you won't be delighted by any means.

Well, correction, there's one track that Finners will like.

The dilemma is - do you go for a compilation of tunes you love or do you try to make something based around a genre. The first has no cohesion and the second then becomes totally dependant on the tastes of the person listening.

I reckon that this is not the first or the last of the CD Swaps...so I'm banking that next time I can do something based around 1980's pop, this time I'll stick with blues.

I can't wait for CD Swap IX though - that's when I do my turbometal mixdown.

I tried to be a bit "broader" last time and it flopped. I basically tried to put a load of noise into a mix and got lazy halfway through and shoved in a load of obvious stuff (like QOTSA and Tiesto.) This time I, generally, stuck to a genre, as it's one I've not really seen TOO many people get into on the Listening Now thread. :dunno:.

I tried to be a bit "broader" last time and it flopped. I basically tried to put a load of noise into a mix and got lazy halfway through and shoved in a load of obvious stuff (like QOTSA and Tiesto.) This time I, generally, stuck to a genre, as it's one I've not really seen TOO many people get into on the Listening Now thread. :dunno:.

Brilliant.

I love polka.

:punk:

1. Untitled - Interpol

Never bean a fan of Interpol and this showed me again why, its just drab and whiny. 5/10

2. Ring a Ding - Brakes

GREAT SONG! 9/10

3. Apologies To Insect Life - British Sea Power

First listen to BSP and i really like. 8/10

4. Lewis (Mistreated) - Radiohead

Not a fan of Radiohead either but this is a nice upbeat song. Not what ive come to expect from Yorke and co. Not bad. 7/10

5. Modern Art - Art Brut

Well im already aware how good this song is. Art Brut makes me want rock out! 10/10

6. The Battle Of The Boy Least Likely To - The Boy Least Likely To

'Warm milk and honey, sweet on my teeth' - says it all. :D 8/10

7. Cheney - Brakes

Best 11 second song EVER :wub: Brilliant Live aswell. 10/10

8. Dead Bodies - Air

Boring shite. Im tired enough as it is without this sleeping music. 4/10

9. My Patch - Jim Noir

Poptastic! 10/10

10. North Pole - The Walkmen

Neither endearing or worth enduring. 5/10

11. Ola Kala - I'm From Barcelona

Not thier best track. Bit meh tbh. 6/10

12. I Am The Fly - Wire

Faux punk throwback was too slow and meandering to be any good. Showed promise didn't deliver. 6/10

13. Digital - Joy Division

Yes i am here, Ian Curtis dancing away to myself. I could listen to this 'Day In, Day Out'. 10/10

14. Sometimes Always - Brakes

Fetish much? The Pipettes on the backing track make this track for me. Not thier strongest but fun nonethless. Hoped you'd have picked All Night Disco Party instead. 8/10

15. Open Book - The Rakes

Brilliant track. Again not the strongest song on Capture/Release but short and sweet. Not a great live band coincidently. 9/10

16. Two Headed Boy Part 2 - Neutral Milk Hotel

Boyband anyone? I can only hear James Morrison/Blunt in there. Not Good. 5/10

17. We Were Born the Mutants Again With Leafling - Of Montreal

Still never heard a bad Of Montreal song. Never ever dissapoint. Brilliant. 9/10

18. Night - M83

The one everyones been talking about. Not that great. Bored me to be honest. 6/10

19. Options R - Wire

Better than the first one. Still not exceptional. Similar to a lot of the fast singing indie types of nowadays such as Futureheads and Good Shoes and were obviously influential. Just not my shiznit. 7/10

20. Lumen - Akron Family

I've not even typed the title yet and im annoyed by this bell ends voice. Skip. 0/10

21. Sunroof - The Capes

Shiny happy start was nice at first but dragged on and on and im pretty sure thats all the song is. Yep thats it. I think he's saying 'Dong' aswell. Hang on he's shutup. Now its the same but without all the dong's. Nope the dongs are back again. Bleep Bleep Bleep Bleep. Oh its finished now then. GOOD! 3/10

22. Lower Your Eyelids to Die With the Sun - M83

I didn't like the first one and i dont like this one either. I have the attention span of a ... ooh shiny. What was i saying? Ah yes. BORING! 3/10

Album Highlights - Brakes, Rakes and erm Epiletic shakes? (sorry distasteful i know only way i could get a Joy Division related ryme in there)

Album Lowlights - All the shit thats on it that ruins an otherwise solid mixtape.

Overall - What i've said above sums it up. This mixtape is like Leicesters season. Dramatic highs, stomach turning lows, lots of controvesy and its run by a greedy serb who just has to stick his nose in ... errrm

my patch is top of the pops here, i'm sure if i sat an musically stroked my chin i could get into the others (except joy division :o ) but i'm to lazy nower days, my dreams of being john peels heir apparent, apparently gone! it's a nice cd, could pop it on and lose myself (given half a chance!)

Interpol - Untitled

Love this. Fantastic choice for an opening track, the intro is great. Have never got into Interpol in a big way but I've got all the albums and liked a few tracks. This one has probably drifted over my head in the past but it's excellent. 9/10

Brakes - Ring A Ding Ding

People keep mentioning these but never got round to listening to them. This is really good and actually reminds me of Status Quo in a bizarre way. It's the guitar line. 8/10

British Sea Power - Apologies To Insect Life

Cracking. Another good intro. Fantastic guitar and bass hooks. The bass especially underpins the whole thing very well and the snare gives it all a belting rhythm. 9/10

Art Brut - Modern Art

I love Art Brut. The only band I've ever seen live where I've been in stitches all the way through AND enjoyed it rather than just been taking the piss. Great choice. "I want to loosen my tie". 10/10

Radiohead - Lewis (mistreated)

Never heard this before... I don't think. Sounds like The Bends era which was obviously a great time for them to be writing songs. I like this. I think In Rainbows is the best album they've made which is an incredible achievement coming so late in their career. That's irrelevant. This is good. 8/10

Air - Dead Bodies

Fuck about, I like this too. Air can be a bit plinky-plinky airy-fairy wishy-washy bollocksy sometimes but this has got something about it, it's got balls. This is going on my driving CD with a couple of Finnegan's tracks too. I shall christen it the Flynnegan CD. 8/10

Brakes - Cheney

Nice.

The Boy Least Likely To - The Battle of the Boy Least Likely To

Two things strike me. Firstly, I knew there'd be some twee nonsense eventually. Secondly, this is from an album called 'The Best Party Ever'? I'd like to take issue with that to be honest. And I think it deserves further probing. Who has deemed this worthy of an album with that title? Actually, three things strike me. The third being that this bloke is not a great singer. Songs don't have to be sung perfectly and the best songs are done in one take (Otis Redding, Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay for example) but you have to be able to sing and to my untrained ear, this bloke can't hit the high notes particularly well. Don't write them high then. Back to that album though. Is that a party tape you made yourself or some crazy record executive's idea of a trendy party. 4/10

Jim Noir - My Patch

This is the advert music isn't it. It hasn't started yet but I'm sure it is, from the title. Let's see. Yes, I think it is. This is great. Catchy. It's got a good beat, you can dance to it (check out the Newman & Baddiel reference!) Ah yes this is definitely the advert music. I think it was a FIFA advert...?? Not sure. I have an idea that a famous footballer was involved, or football in some way. Yes... definitely a football type advert. More songs should be this good. Reminds me a bit of Sweet And Low by The Greens Keepers. 9/10

The Walkmen - The North Pole

This hasn't lived up to the exceedingly high standard by my taste. I don't like Rod Stewart, sorry. 5/10

I'm From Barcelona - Ola Kala

Promising start. Didn't really need the big chorus but it's still pretty good. I like it. Prefer the verses with the driving rhythm. 7/10

Wire - I Am The Fly

It's Line Up by Elastica!!!!!!!! Haha. I used to love that album but was constantly dogged by Stan Coll... I mean constantly dogged by people going on about what a ripoff Line Up was of this song. It's obviously a great song and you can hear Interpol in there. I reckon they listened to Wire once or twice. 8/10

Joy Division - Digital

I can never quite make my mind up about Joy Division. I do quite like this but I would never choose to listen to them. Having said that this is probably the best song I've heard by them. If a band came along these days and did a song like this I would probably really like it. 7/10

Brakes - Sometimes Always

Reminds me of Pull Yourself Together by Hefner which is obviously a good thing. I'm going to have to make an effort to hear everything this lot have done. 8/10

The Rakes - Open Book

Strange choice for a Rakes song but admirably not the obvious. I like Terror! the best. This is good but a bit Dexy's Midnight Runners haha. 7/10

Of Montreal - We Were Born etc etc

Fucking hell I've just realised there are still about six songs left. Mustn't complain though, this has been a real treat so far. I bought an Of Montreal song about a year ago on eMusic. The Party's Crashing Us, it was really good but a bit twee. I was expecting this to be a bit twee too but it's bloody good again. Really bloody good and I can hear the best bits of Blur songs in there...? 9/10

Neutral Milk Hotel - Two-Headed Boy part 2

Not a big fan. 5/10

M83 - Night

Excellent stuff. I'm looking forward to the long track at the end that everyone loved. 9/10

Wire - Options R

Great song. I can see why the old folk (Dags) get annoyed about indie bands sounding like this when people were doing it 25-30 years ago. 8/10

Akron/Family - Lumen

This sounds like it's going to be unbearably awful. Oh wait it's completely changed a few seconds in. The intro was like one of those unlistenable things that Stuart Maconie plays on a Sunday evening on 6Music. 7/10

The Capes - Sunroof

I really like this. Possibly another one for the driving CD if only because then at least I'll have a bloody sunroof. 8/10

M83 - Lower etc

Reminded me a bit of Godspeed! 9/10

---------------------------

Flynny, that was absolutely bloody brilliant.

Two things strike me. Firstly, I knew there'd be some twee nonsense eventually. Secondly, this is from an album called 'The Best Party Ever'? I'd like to take issue with that to be honest. And I think it deserves further probing. Who has deemed this worthy of an album with that title? Actually, three things strike me. The third being that this bloke is not a great singer. Songs don't have to be sung perfectly and the best songs are done in one take (Otis Redding, Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay for example) but you have to be able to sing and to my untrained ear, this bloke can't hit the high notes particularly well. Don't write them high then. Back to that album though. Is that a party tape you made yourself or some crazy record executive's idea of a trendy party. 4/10

The name of their own album is actually "The Best Party Ever". It's either ironic or it's supposed to conjure up images of kiddies tea parties. He's singing quietly deliberately and so his voice is straining for the higher notes - which is personally what I like about it.

Jim Noir - My Patch

This is the advert music isn't it. It hasn't started yet but I'm sure it is, from the title. Let's see. Yes, I think it is. This is great. Catchy. It's got a good beat, you can dance to it (check out the Newman & Baddiel reference!) Ah yes this is definitely the advert music. I think it was a FIFA advert...?? Not sure. I have an idea that a famous footballer was involved, or football in some way. Yes... definitely a football type advert. More songs should be this good. Reminds me a bit of Sweet And Low by The Greens Keepers. 9/10

Wikipedia says ginsters? I don't remember the advert at all but it was vaguely familar the first time I heard it.

YES! That's been bugging me all weekend! Huzzah!

If thats two of you agreeing on that I'll have to check them out. Where do I start? Cheers for the depth of that Fez. I'm narked about accidentally refreshing while typing yours up now. I shall have to come back to it at some point.

Right, bit late but here goes:

1. Interpol- Untitled

From what I'd heard before I liked Interpol. This was a bit weaker than the others I'd heard to be honest but not too bad. 5/10

2. Brakes- Ring a Ding Ding

Yeah this wasn't too bad, nothing great and a bit samey but not bad. 6/10

3. British Sea Power- Apologies to Insect Life

Nice upbeat feel to this one, I'd listen again which is always a promising sign. 6/10

4. Radiohead- Lewis

I like Radiohead but unfortunately this just didn't keep my attention for long enough! 5/10

5. Art Brut- Modern Art

Now this is better. Great band Art Brut and this was no exception to the rest of their stuff. 7/10

6. The Boy Least Likely To- The Battle Of The Boy Least Likely To

Was a nice and dulcet, but slightly dull. Not one I'd delete off the itunes library though! 6/10

7. Brakes- Cheney

Erm.

8. Air- Dead Bodies

Well took me a while to realise that the introduction wasn't just really long. Nothing great unfortunately, sorry! 5/10

9. Jim Noir- My Patch

This is pne of those songs I'd heard before but never had a title to it. Sounds very Beatles-esque to me, so gets the thumbs up. 7/10

10. The Walkmen- The North Pole

Yeah quite liked this one actually. Still waiting for a track that really grabs me but this'll do quite nicely. 6.5/10

11. I'm From Barcelona- Ola Kala

Yeah this one worked for me, I liked it. One I'd get out again sometime. 7/10

12. Wire- I Am The Fly

Sorry, just didn't like this one. For a start the singer's voice just really annoyed me. The song just didn't really have anything special for me unfortunately. 4/10

13. Joy Division- Digital

Erm... another one I didn't warm to. 3/10

14. Brakes- Sometimes Always

Not bad at all, still waiting for the song that really gets me excited though. I'm counting on the Rakes next... 6.5/10

15. The Rakes- Open Book

Yes, this is better! :D Liked The Rakes anyway but hadn't heard this one before. I like. 7.5/10

16. Neutral Milk Hotel- Two Headed Boy Pt.II

Yes, acoustic! Ahh this is more like my thing a bit more. Liked this one a lot Flynny, thanks. 8/10

17. Of Montreal- We Were Born The Mutants Again With Leafling

Actually liked this one quite a bit, good bouncy feel to it. 7/10

18. M83- Night

Nothing special, but wasn't bad. Might give it a listen if it comes round on shuffle sometime. 6/10

19. Wire- Options R

Foot-tapping song, can't be bad. Not too long either so my attention was firmly kept. 7/10

20. Akron/Family- Lumen

Sorry this was just way too dull for me, didn't like it unfortunately. It did get better as it went on though. 4/10

21. The Capes- Sunroof

Ahh dear, another I completely forgot I was listening to. 5/10

22. M83- Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun

I couldn't even finish this one off, it's just way too long for what it is unfortunately. I suppose it's a fitting track to end an album with, it's just so damn long! 3/10

Overall, the ratings may not look great but there's deifnitely a few tracks I really enjoyed off of here so thanks for that Flynny.

Archived