Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

New Morrissey Album - Years of Refusal

I agree that Vauxhall and I is his best solo album, and in all honesty I think it's as good as any of the Smiths albums. I don't think any of You Are The Quarry is terrible, but it doesn't sit very well as an album admittedly, presumably being cobbled together from material written over the preceding 7 year hiatus.

I've been listening to the re-issued Southpaw Grammar and I think that's massively underrated. I do think he's a bit hard done to, because his solo material may not be as good as a lot of that of The Smiths (although I'd take Boxers over Never Had No-one Ever, Sunny over I Want The One I Can't Have, and most of his solo albums over the first Smiths album) I still find it a hell of a lot better than nearly everything else that happens to be about whenever he releases a record. I love the Smiths, but like anything that's put on a pedestal it seems to make objective judgement of what comes after a bit difficult for a lot of people. If the Smiths had never existed, and Morrissey's solo output existed in isolation, I'd say it was marvellous (I say that anyway).

Alain Whyte may not be a genius guitarist like Johnny Marr, but he's a great songwriter and has received seemingly zero credit for writing most of Morrissey's best solo stuff for nearly 20 years. I just wish he still played on the records because I don't think much of Jesse Tobias

Don't get me wrong, there have been some brilliant solo efforts from Moz. Suedehead, Satan rejected my soul, The last of the international playboys to name just a few. It's just recently (I mean recent as in the past few albums), I guess it's like he's sold his soul...or something.

I'd agree that there isn't the consistency anymore. There aren't any b-sides like 'Half a Person' are these days, are there? Some of the recent ones have been more than a little ropey.

I genuinely love every Morrissey solo album though, with the possible exception of Kill Uncle, which I merely like. They seem to take a bit more effort to get into these days, but I always get there in the end

Happy Birthday Moz

I've celebrated by making the office listen to Vauxhall and I, an experience that some found enjoyable and others highly distressing, although it was eventually established that some of the latter camp couldn't cope with the concept of listening to an entire album of songs by the same artist, so it was always going to be a struggle

I'm on my way to Manchester to see him tonight. Can't wait!

<_< Hope you have a miserable time, it's what Moz would have wanted.

Can't believe Im wishing Morrissey a 'Happy' Birthday on a forum he's highly unlikely to ever read haha. Also can't believe he's 50, I remember when he was in his late 20's! Christ I'm old.

<_< Hope you have a miserable time, it's what Moz would have wanted.

Can't believe Im wishing Morrissey a 'Happy' Birthday on a forum he's highly unlikely to ever read haha. Also can't believe he's 50, I remember when he was in his late 20's! Christ I'm old.

I just happened to be browsing the internet on my iphone, and look what I found. Happy Birthday day to me? it makes me sick to the pit of my stomach to think of it.

A child in a curious phase

A man with sullen ways

Oh, I know very well how I got my name

I just happened to be browsing the internet on my iphone, and look what I found. Happy Birthday day to me? it makes me sick to the pit of my stomach to think of it.

A child in a curious phase

A man with sullen ways

Oh, I know very well how I got my name

It's one of three people I'm guessing.

Er, yeah. An interview with him features on a DVD issued with the deluxe version of YoR.

As for the gig, it's had rave reviews, but left me curiously unmoved. It wasn't as electric as Hyde Park last year or Rock City in 99.

The audience didn't exactly help. The upper tier of the theatre was very passive, standing but largely mute. A possible case of too many tourists and not enough fans? That would be so unlike an event in Manchester... lol

For such a prominent vegetarian, Moz seems strangely keen on encouraging butchery on stage, judging by the way his backing "musicians" wrecked so many Smiths songs. The gap between them and Johnny Marr is like that between Hinckley United and Manchester United.

However the man himself remains as captivating as ever. Catch him while you still can.

Er, yeah. An interview with him features on a DVD issued with the deluxe version of YoR.

Not just that. The radio interview with him and brand is as open as I've heard Morrissey ever (and i've gotten obsessive over him quite quickly) it's absolutely brilliant.

For such a prominent vegetarian, Moz seems strangely keen on encouraging butchery on stage, judging by the way his backing "musicians" wrecked so many Smiths songs. The gap between them and Johnny Marr is like that between Hinckley United and Manchester United.

Classic Thracian.

As for the gig, it's had rave reviews, but left me curiously unmoved. It wasn't as electric as Hyde Park last year or Rock City in 99.

The audience didn't exactly help. The upper tier of the theatre was very passive, standing but largely mute. A possible case of too many tourists and not enough fans? That would be so unlike an event in Manchester... lol

However the man himself remains as captivating as ever. Catch him while you still can.

I get concerned when people start getting blase about seeing Morrissey, I can't quite understand how anyone can.

I get concerned when people start getting blase about seeing Morrissey, I can't quite understand how anyone can.

I think you can get a bit blase about seeing anyone if you see them enough. I've only seen Morrissey four times with at least 3 years between each gig and they've all been brilliant. I saw Belle and Sebastian (probably my second favourite act ever) 4 times in the space of about 18 months and although the first two shows were wonderful, the last couple just didn't feel quite so special. I just can't get the same sense of anticipation when I've seen someone not that long before. Needless to say, the first time I saw Morrissey was the best time, although the performance itself probably wasn't that great - it was just amazing to be there

I think you can get a bit blase about seeing anyone if you see them enough. I've only seen Morrissey four times with at least 3 years between each gig and they've all been brilliant. I saw Belle and Sebastian (probably my second favourite act ever) 4 times in the space of about 18 months and although the first two shows were wonderful, the last couple just didn't feel quite so special. I just can't get the same sense of anticipation when I've seen someone not that long before. Needless to say, the first time I saw Morrissey was the best time, although the performance itself probably wasn't that great - it was just amazing to be there

I'm feeling that. I'm just going to see him once, I don't want to keep seeing him because I don't want to become immune to him if that makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Shameless plug time:

http://www.last.fm/event/1059332

I'll be helping my mate Jamie out by doing a spot of DJing, but hopefully not as much as I did last time. According to this, 15 people are going. 15! We had about 100 last time, so it was ALMOST successful.

If you want to spend an evening with some sweaty saddos leaping about to the sounds of Manchester's finest (sorry Ash), then truly it's the place to be

Archived