Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

New Morrissey Album - Years of Refusal

when you say 'do' does that mean a gig , in manchester that is on his 50th birthday, or is it all round to steven's for (vegetarian) jelly and ice cream? ;)

lol

It's a gig at Manchester Apollo. The scheduling isn't entirely coincidental.

No idea what may be planned for afterwards, but I'll report back here on it. I'm staying in Manchester overnight anyway.

Am I allowed to shamelessy plug things like this on here? Slap my wrist if not.

http://www.last.fm/event/1059332

It doesn't lie, the last one was really good. I might even be DJing again if you're really lucky.

This is being organised by some of the East Midlands' most tiresome Smiths bores so you're pretty much guaranteed to be satisfied, if a Smiths disco is what you're after. If it isn't, best stay away

Just as well. :thumbup:

I'm going to his 50th birthday do in Manchester next week.

What!!!!!!! :angry:

Oh my days, I'm still recovering from having my picture taken outside Salford Lads Club this afternoon. I do have some lovely friends with genius suggestions.

Yes, basically. See post #54.

I'm cleverly getting people to attend by telling them that they're coming. It's a sort of less sophisticated cognitive behaviour therapy

I may be keen.

I've just been listening to The Smiths for the past 4 hours. I'm trying to revise but I feel very wordy now (although the exam isn't realy word based)

I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry

Why do you come here, when you know it makes things hard for me?

This could go on indefinitely.

Anyone else for Smiths Night?

I would love to attend, but I shall be somewhere else that night.

Will you be doing it again sometime?

Can I just say the album is rubbish?

I think it's ace. Best one since the comeback, although some may say that's not saying much, which would be harsh

I would love to attend, but I shall be somewhere else that night.

Will you be doing it again sometime?

If it goes well, maybe next year. I think it's two years since the last one. We go for quality rather than quantity

I accidentally got into Smiths through Morrissey about 2 months ago, which a Smiths-adoring friend found blasphemous. Is it really so bad?

If you were older yes, but as you are a youngun I guess it's ok.

She said : "in the days when you were hopelessly poor, I just liked you more..."

I accidentally got into Smiths through Morrissey about 2 months ago, which a Smiths-adoring friend found blasphemous. Is it really so bad?

Of course not. Although it could be argued fairly convincingly that his solo stuff isn't as good as The Smiths, their records are regarded by a fair number of vaguely sensible people as amongst the best ever made, so just because his solo stuff isn't to quite the same standard, it doesn't mean it isn't wonderful.

The Smiths were around for less than 5 years and split up 22 years ago. I can see why he gets annoyed with how a solo career lasting nearly a quarter of a century can't be mentioned without them being dragged up again and again and again and again

Of course not. Although it could be argued fairly convincingly that his solo stuff isn't as good as The Smiths, their records are regarded by a fair number of vaguely sensible people as amongst the best ever made, so just because his solo stuff isn't to quite the same standard, it doesn't mean it isn't wonderful.

The Smiths were around for less than 5 years and split up 22 years ago. I can see why he gets annoyed with how a solo career lasting nearly a quarter of a century can't be mentioned without them being dragged up again and again and again and again

His solo stuff can be really instrumentally insipid though. I really liked Vauxhall and I, which I got first and seems to have been a good choice, but comparatively some tracks are awful. Half of You are the Quarry is terrible, and Ringleader begins well but ends up doing the same in the middle which is a bit stodgy. I've still yet to listen to 5/9 of his albums though.

His solo stuff can be really instrumentally insipid though. I really liked Vauxhall and I, which I got first and seems to have been a good choice, but comparatively some tracks are awful. Half of You are the Quarry is terrible, and Ringleader begins well but ends up doing the same in the middle which is a bit stodgy. I've still yet to listen to 5/9 of his albums though.

This probably proves the point that without Johnny Marr, all Morrissey had was lyrics. I'd rather listen to the Smiths anyday than listen to most of his solo stuff. He's never found that genius guitarist to go with his brilliant lyrics. Morrissey is a God to me but even I roll my eyes at some of his solo work and that's obviously down to production and the variety of backing bands he has armed himself with over the years.

I agree that Vauxhall and I is his best solo album, and in all honesty I think it's as good as any of the Smiths albums. I don't think any of You Are The Quarry is terrible, but it doesn't sit very well as an album admittedly, presumably being cobbled together from material written over the preceding 7 year hiatus.

I've been listening to the re-issued Southpaw Grammar and I think that's massively underrated. I do think he's a bit hard done to, because his solo material may not be as good as a lot of that of The Smiths (although I'd take Boxers over Never Had No-one Ever, Sunny over I Want The One I Can't Have, and most of his solo albums over the first Smiths album) I still find it a hell of a lot better than nearly everything else that happens to be about whenever he releases a record. I love the Smiths, but like anything that's put on a pedestal it seems to make objective judgement of what comes after a bit difficult for a lot of people. If the Smiths had never existed, and Morrissey's solo output existed in isolation, I'd say it was marvellous (I say that anyway).

This probably proves the point that without Johnny Marr, all Morrissey had was lyrics. I'd rather listen to the Smiths anyday than listen to most of his solo stuff. He's never found that genius guitarist to go with his brilliant lyrics. Morrissey is a God to me but even I roll my eyes at some of his solo work and that's obviously down to production and the variety of backing bands he has armed himself with over the years.

Alain Whyte may not be a genius guitarist like Johnny Marr, but he's a great songwriter and has received seemingly zero credit for writing most of Morrissey's best solo stuff for nearly 20 years. I just wish he still played on the records because I don't think much of Jesse Tobias

Archived