Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
morris1234

PC RAM

im not sure if this should go in here but i cant find the old pc help forum.Im wanting to uprade my RAM but i need to know what type to look for.I was told to look on my current ram for details. The details are as follows pc-2-4200v.

can anyone give me any help with this?(mods feel free to move this or close it once i have a few answers)

I'd recommend using the System Information tool in your Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools to find out the make and model of your motherboard. Look it up on Google and it should tell you what it is able to support.

I'd recommend using the System Information tool in your Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools to find out the make and model of your motherboard. Look it up on Google and it should tell you what it is able to support.

cheers for that.what would the motherboard bit be under?ive got it up as a list but now not sure where to look?

Good advice above. Just upgraded mine and it'd have been easy to do it wrong. My motherboard won't take more than PC2700 and I'd probably have blithely bought PC3200 had I not looked into it first.

Easy to do!

You also have to be careful as some mobo have RAM which work in pairs, so you have to have 2 1GB sticks in parallel for example. The Crucial scan or something similar should be able to tell you all of this. If not, then contact your PC manufacturer/Google/Post on here!

• 3 weeks later...

Get onto mrmemory.com and you can enter your system details.

Manufactor > PC Type or something like that > Series

So, for me;

Compaq > Desktop Presario > SR Series > SR 1000 and then all the details will come up. Like how many slots their is in your system and the details and prices of the ram itself etc.

Then copy and paste the details into play.com, amazon, ebuyer etc and see what the cheapest price is :thumbup:

Archived