Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts CD Swap Week 1

Enjoy:

Download Link Action

Spotify Link Action

Playlist:

1. Light Out (Spor Remix) - Hadouken!

2. Deceptacon - Le Tigre

3. Little Kids (Ladytron Fruits Of The Forest Mix) - Kings Of Convenience

4. Something Golden (Heartbreak Remix) - Le Corps Mince De Francoise

5. Salt Air (Alex Kapranos Remix) - Chew Lips

6. I Can Talk (French Horn Rebellion Remix) - Two Door Cinema Club

7. I Love London (Brackles Remix) - Crystal Fighters

8. Dance Till Dawn - Hearts Revolution

9. Thunderbird - The Golden Filter

10. Ambling Alp - Yeasayer

11. Seventeen - Marina And The Diamonds

12. Evening/Morning - Bombay Bicycle Club

13. Under The Sheets - Ellie Goulding

14. This Is Not The Fire - My Tiger My Timing

Enjoy:

Download Link Action

Spotify Link Action

Playlist:

2. Deceptacon - Le Tigre

First! Didn't expect this. Should hold off on each until at least half the people have reviewed I reckon.

1. Just the wrong side of Gorillaz for me, hah (I hope that makes sense without sounding racist, although I do hate the blacks, obviously). - 4/10

2. I should find this irritating, head says 'oh god her voice' but I'm actually quite enjoying this. Not great, not bad at all - 6.5/10

3. Like this the most so far, probably save this to my "beaty shit" playlist. I'd make an ill-judged comment about the artist having the word mince in the title but I've probably been un-PC enough for now. Balls. - 7.5/10

4. Just noticed this is probably one of those 'really thought through gradual shift in mood playlist type thingies', mostly from the prevalence of the word remix in the first half. :D Liking this straight away cos of the organ, I hope it does something later on - right, some bells round about 1:10, keep it going, keep it going... well uhh, nowt happened but I enjoyed the tension, couple of similar sorts of thing on my tentative playlist for this - 8/10

5. Liking that too, nice little run here. One more and then I'm going to listen to the last 20 overs of the cricket. - 7.5/10

6. Solid and unspectacular again, like a Paul Collingwood half-century. - 7/10

I'll get to the rest later, cricket then revision beckons.

First! Didn't expect this. Should hold off on each until at least half the people have reviewed I reckon.

1. Just the wrong side of Gorillaz for me, hah (I hope that makes sense without sounding racist, although I do hate the blacks, obviously). - 4/10

2. I should find this irritating, head says 'oh god her voice' but I'm actually quite enjoying this. Not great, not bad at all - 6.5/10

3. Like this the most so far, probably save this to my "beaty shit" playlist. I'd make an ill-judged comment about the artist having the word mince in the title but I've probably been un-PC enough for now. Balls. - 7.5/10

4. Just noticed this is probably one of those 'really thought through gradual shift in mood playlist type thingies', mostly from the prevalence of the word remix in the first half. :D Liking this straight away cos of the organ, I hope it does something later on - right, some bells round about 1:10, keep it going, keep it going... well uhh, nowt happened but I enjoyed the tension, couple of similar sorts of thing on my tentative playlist for this - 8/10

5. Liking that too, nice little run here. One more and then I'm going to listen to the last 20 overs of the cricket. - 7.5/10

6. Solid and unspectacular again, like a Paul Collingwood half-century. - 7/10

I'll get to the rest later, cricket then revision beckons.

Cheers Flynny. LCMDF is track 4 have you missed one?

First of all disappointed to see the word Remix so often in ones of Smuts mixes but hey ho..

this is just confusing not sure the song knows what it's trying to be not sure if I like it either to be honest

2. Deceptacon - Le Tigre

Hated it at the start thought what the f**k is this it got loads better though and started to really come together, this ones a winner I think

I love Erland Oyes voice it's just brilliant, I own the Versus album this is one so it's a winner with me!!

One band I have really struggled with over the last few years is Crystal Castles, just don't get them at all and find the album almost unlistenable to be honest this just reminds me of them and it's not my thing

Alex Kapranos gives people a lesson on how to remix someone and make it sound exactly like an electronic Franz Ferdinand would! it's an ok song though to be fair

it's ok not really my thing though, looking forward to when this turns indie.. although while typing this it's growing a little more on me

I quite like London but don't really Love it

If I don't think to hard then it's ok It's good in the background but doesn't really grab me

ok bit on the boring side

It's ok the singer reminds a little to much at times of Panic at the disco and while the song is pretty good I can't get round that fact.

Indie Indie Indie Indie Indie this is a bit better reminds me of a more refined and funky sounding PJ Harvey at times, yeah this is ok

best track so far by a long long long way!!

yeah this ok I would consider listening to more, unoffensive, the Bon Iver cover on her myspace is excellent, I prefer the Starry eyed song to this one though

nothing special

Light Out (Spor Remix) - Hadouken!

Not bad, not too fond of the intro just being a speeded up version of the original but got into it pretty quickly and it’s a pretty decent tune when it knocks its own tune into it. Pretty enjoyable.

Deceptacon - Le Tigre

Bit samey for the most part and her voice is a bit annoying after a while but does seem like something I would have quite enjoyed in the past so im not going to say its bad. Seems decent enough, maybe just not in the right mind for that kinda song haha

Little Kids (Ladytron Fruits Of The Forest Mix) - Kings Of Convenience

Listened to this a first time before now and didn’t really get into it but listening to it again it’s pretty decent. I found it pretty good to listen to when I was in a chilling mood. Not bad at all. Think the tune along with the trippy voices works well.

Something Golden (Heartbreak Remix) - Le Corps Mince De Francoise

Didn’t like this too much, just a little too much going on most of the time, found the chorus alright to listen to but not really my thing

Salt Air (Alex Kapranos Remix) - Chew Lips

Enjoyed listening to this one quite a bit, relaxing track. Good tune, good voice, good song. The guy knows what he’s doing and his remix compliments the voice of the artist. Nice job.

I Can Talk (French Horn Rebellion Remix) - Two Door Cinema Club

Some of the sounds used in the mix aren’t really my thing but thought it was pretty good all the same. Liked the second half the song more than the first but that’s just me as it was more mixed up than there was singing and I thought it sounded alright.

I Love London (Brackles Remix) - Crystal Fighters

Thought this was good. Some good sounds thrown in there and has good bass behind it. All go together pretty well and makes a good track to get lost in.

Dance Till Dawn - Hearts Revolution

Not really for me, didn’t like the woman’s part and the repetitive noise that runs through the song annoyed me lol. Think it might just be a little too light for me is all

Thunderbird - The Golden Filter

Thought this sounded good. Liked the singing part of it and thought tune supported her well. Very chilled out song and enjoyable when it has all your attention.

Ambling Alp - Yeasayer

Prett relaxing song. The singers decent enough and the backing instruments give a pretty good tune that draws you into it.. Considering its not what I usually listen to I found it pretty enjoyable.

Seventeen - Marina And The Diamonds

Not really my sort of tune but its pretty decent to be fair. Shes a good singer and although I dont like some parts of the song in most parts its pretty good and refreshing to hear.

Evening/Morning - Bombay Bicycle Club

Think this has a good variation in its beat and think that it finds a good level in the singing and the instruments that compliment each other well. Good song and I really enjoyed it.

Under The Sheets - Ellie Goulding

Really enjoyed this. Shes got a great voice thats good to listen to. The background music makes it relaxing and I think ill have a look at some more of her music. Is she the person thats won that award tipping her for success in 2010? can see why. Sounds like something a lot of people can enjoy.

This Is Not The Fire - My Tiger My Timing

Didnt find it very interesting to listen to. Seemed a bit samey kind of all faded in together for me. Decent enough though and can see that people would enjoy it. Just isnt my type of track.

Here goes. Looking down the list I've not heard a great deal of any of these bands...

By the way why have so few people reviewed this so far when certain people were chomping at the bit to get this thing started?!

1. Hadouken - Lights Out (Spor Remix)

Pretty certain 80% of people reviewing this will hate Hadouken, they're definitely an acquired taste. Looked good when I saw them at Leeds '08, I'd go see them again in the right setting with the right people. I like this remix anyway, not heard anything from Spor before that I can think of off the top of my head.

2. Le Tigre - Deceptacon

Not a fan personally. Singer's voice grates after about 10 seconds. You get used to it after a while though, and it becomes slightly enjoyable in an odd way.

3. Kings of Convenience - Little Kids (Ladytron Fruits Of The Forest Mix)

I was pretty much waiting for something to happen that didn't, so this unfortunately was a bit of an anti-climax for me.

4. Le Corps Mince de Francois - Something Golden (Heartbreak Remix)

I quite enjoyed this actually, not sure what kind of mood I'd have to be in to listen to it again but it's decent.

5. Chew Lips - Salt Air (Alex Kapranos Remix)

Another group destined for good things this year if you believe everything you read. Heard a couple of tracks from them a few months back but didn't particularly give much of a second thought. Quite into my female artists currently but I wasn't massively keen on this particular remix. We'll see how they develop...

6. Two Door Cinema Club - I Can Talk (French Horn Rebellion Mix)

The best track so far in my opinion. I have no idea exactly what it is but I love the bass riff running throughout, shexy.

7. Crystal Fighters - I Love London (Brackles Remix)

Another remix?! That said, this is pretty tight. Very enjoyable two tracks to cap off the remixes, I might have to check out more from Brackles if this is anything to go by.

8. Hearts Revolution - Dance Til Dawn

Not going to lie, I did completely forget I was listening to this! Went back and did it again, just found it a little bit repetetive for my liking.

9. The Golden Filter - Thunderbird

Slightly Blondie-esque vocals which are pretty nice, and I also liked the breakdown at about 1:45. Overall a tidy, inoffensive track which would be alright to throw on every now and again.

10. Yeasayer - Ambling Alp

Really like Yeasayer, everything I've previously listened to has been very good. This track is no exception either, a tidy blend of instruments (particularly like the brass). And I actually really like the singer's voice...

11. Marina & The Diamonds - Seventeen

Like Chew Lips, another artist that is supposed to be hitting it big in 2010. I think she has a great voice, fairly similar to Florence so there are going to be the obvious comparisons made. Am I right in thinking she's actually Greek by heritage?

12. Bombay Bicycle Club - Evening/Morning

Don't really need to review this one for you to know what I think of them. Brilliant (long-awaited) debut album from an extremely talented and young band. They'll probably break into the mainstream mould at some point (they were on the live lounge recently), but whatever happens they have a good future ahead.

13. Ellie Goulding - Under the Sheets

I've been banging on about her since I first heard Starry Eyed for the first time on some random playlist I downloaded. From the very first time I knew she was going to be something pretty special, hence my post in the Bands You've Heard Of... thread a little while back. Her name seems to be everywhere now, and I've got no doubts that this year will be pretty special for her.

14. My Tiger My Timing - This is Not The Fire

This works well for me, I wish more of the mix would have been like this from my own point of view! Pretty standard indie track really, so I'm pretty sure that most of FT will dislike this.

Overall, two or three fewer remixes would have made this one better for me Smuts. I'm normally quite big on my remixes, so you've probably just caught me in the wrong kind of mood for this one. I can see why you'd change your approach from the last ones though, I think it's quite clear that Indie stuff isn't particularly popular around here. As usual though there are things to take away from it, just not as much as I'd have hoped!

Cheers Joe, kinda what i expected from you. Did conciously move away from my other mixes which you've liked in the past - me and you alone tbh.

For you and Jay (i think) who both mentioned you'd rather i spanked on the indie cindy stuff i've knocked up a quick 5 action of the indie tunes that would have made the mix here. Sorry if i tread on your mixes toes with any of them Joe!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived