Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ACF

University help.

Just brought this topic back up because I am looking to apply for University (looking at Sheffield Hallam at the minute) but require some help if it is possible. I am looking at the web systems design course at Hallam as I am interested in web design and it looks as if the course can push further than just web design (according to the description).

So, first off, is it best to apply through UCAS or throught the university itself (there is an application form I can download and send via Royal Mail)? Now I have left College, who can I use as my references? - Do I go back and ask my former college tutor for onet? And when is the best time to apply? (I think the deadline is Jan 15th 2012 but I have all my grades now).

Finally, regarding qualifications. The course asks for a 'grade C in both English and Maths' and '240 points from a BTEC course'. However, I do not meet the requirements for Maths and English (I do have key skills and have been told by a friend who now studies at Manchester that it is equvilent and he got in fine with a worser GCSE grade than me in both maths and english) but I have over 300 points from my previous BTEC course in IT because I gained a triple distinction (the best possible grade) which is a AAA at A-level, and surely my grades in IT highlight where my ability is.

I am quite confuzed. Yes, I should have applied last year when I finished college like everyone else, but I didn't know which course too apply for. Now I have looked at it all and looked at what I enjoy doing best I am ready to apply.

Might be easier to apply through UCAS as you can use the same application to send to 4 other universities, so your spreading your options wider. Also ring the department up and ask about it, they might be leniant about it.

Just brought this topic back up because I am looking to apply for University (looking at Sheffield Hallam at the minute) but require some help if it is possible. I am looking at the web systems design course at Hallam as I am interested in web design and it looks as if the course can push further than just web design (according to the description).

So, first off, is it best to apply through UCAS or throught the university itself (there is an application form I can download and send via Royal Mail)? Now I have left College, who can I use as my references? - Do I go back and ask my former college tutor for onet? And when is the best time to apply? (I think the deadline is Jan 15th 2012 but I have all my grades now).

Finally, regarding qualifications. The course asks for a 'grade C in both English and Maths' and '240 points from a BTEC course'. However, I do not meet the requirements for Maths and English (I do have key skills and have been told by a friend who now studies at Manchester that it is equvilent and he got in fine with a worser GCSE grade than me in both maths and english) but I have over 300 points from my previous BTEC course in IT because I gained a triple distinction (the best possible grade) which is a AAA at A-level, and surely my grades in IT highlight where my ability is.

I am quite confuzed. Yes, I should have applied last year when I finished college like everyone else, but I didn't know which course too apply for. Now I have looked at it all and looked at what I enjoy doing best I am ready to apply.

Depends how long ago you left college. If it was in the last 2 years or so, then yeah, you should ring up for a reference. If you've had a job in the past few years, you can ask your boss. Not sure about the Maths/English though, but sometimes they will let you in without the required grades, depending on how good your personal statement is, especially if you have over-achieved in their requirements for other grades. Applying through UCAS is also probably the best idea.

Have 2 friends who go to Hallam, and they both enjoy it (though in Nursing and Biology, so can't really tell you about the course!).

Right, in the process of planning all of this.

I'm in the UK at the moment, and realise how much I miss the place, and my mates, and thinking about doing uni here.

Any recommendations for universities studying Graphic Design, Marketing/Advertising and/or Business?

Thanks guys.

Thanks to the BBC and the massive funding, Salford uni is fast becoming one of the top universities for graphic design, media and music. Almost to the point where as on next year it will be known as university of Greater Manchester.

Archived