Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ACF

University help.

A quick search for you, might help.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-art-design

But its all about open days, even though you cant make them, thats a real shame, as although they are boring as hell, they are very helpful.

I know of people at falmouth and loughborough and have heard very positive things about the design courses. Although, falmouth wouldn't be my ideal place at all to go to uni. Also, my sister and her husband both did graphics at DMU, both said it was good and got decent jobs. Theres my pennies worth.

I assume all those offering particularly obtuse / unhelpful suggestions to ACF would know exactly how to apply for Uni in Australia? :banghead::rolleyes:

Thank you!

But what have I done to deserve nice and helpful AoWW?

But its all about open days, even though you cant make them, thats a real shame, as although they are boring as hell, they are very helpful.

I fully appreciate that open days are almost certainly really useful and probably quite an important part of choosing, but if it makes ACF feel better I didn't go to a single open day even though I easily could have - just couldn't be bothered with the time and travel expense.

I just chose my university and halls and everything based on which city I wanted to be in (Manchester is 100% where it's at if you're uniying in Britain by the way... ;)), rumours, hearsay and photos, and it's worked out pretty well for me.

Granted my course isn't really what I wanted but you win some, you lose some...

In my experience you can get by easily enough without open days so don't le that put you off. I only attended one and didn't end up going there anyway. The thing I would do is have a look on a few of the universities own websites about the course they offer you want to do and see if you can find an email contact address and email that telling them your situation and they should hopefully be helpful and give you some worthwhile advice on how applying to them/other british unis works.

Thank you!

But what have I done to deserve nice and helpful AoWW?

Don't expect it to happen again anytime soon. :P

Don't expect it to happen again anytime soon. :P

Believe me I'm not!

Can I just get a couple of opinions on Uni's?

Warwick

Sheff. Hallam.

Loughborough

De Montfort

Leeds

Manchester

What are they like for Graphic Design and Business, if the campus is awesome or not, etc. I can read all the tables I want, but first-hand opinions are what really help.

You should search on the guardian website about specific rankings for courses u want

If you read the post above, I just said I'd like first hand opinions of the uni and courses. It has already been established that I should read the tables, and I have.

Thanks

x

Believe me I'm not!

Warwick

Sheff. Hallam.

Loughborough

De Montfort

Leeds

Manchester

What are they like for Graphic Design and Business, if the campus is awesome or not, etc. I can read all the tables I want, but first-hand opinions are what really help.

No idea about courses but Warwick is a very nice campus, set out all on its own but with regular bus links to cov and brum while leeds is quite sprawled out within the city.

Believe me I'm not!

Warwick

Sheff. Hallam.

Loughborough

De Montfort

Leeds

Manchester

No idea about courses but Warwick is a very nice campus, set out all on its own but with regular bus links to cov and brum while leeds is quite sprawled out within the city.

I went to Warwick. I enjoyed it. It's very different to a city uni because it's campus based, and a large campus at that. They've changed the Union (which is massively more important on a campus based uni, at least when you're on campus in your first year) and it's not as good as it was (the old one was grubby but loveable). I had an ace time there though over my four years. I'm a bit tipsy at the moment so I'm probably not making much sense. If you have any questions then feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them when I'm a bit more sober.

Believe me I'm not!

Warwick

Sheff. Hallam.

Loughborough

De Montfort

Leeds

Manchester

I never actually went to an open day for Hallam as I had no intention of ending up there but I've not been disappointed.

As mentioned I can't comment on the course but Hallam is decent. I think facilities are good, but I wouldn't say too much more. The union in all honesty isn't that good and there's only one decent club night but thats still pretty average.

What I will say though is that the campus' (there are actually two, the main one slap bang in the city centre and the other about a 25 minute walk/5 minute bus out) are really good.

They're part of the city but very well contained and closely together. Also, I couldn't recommend Sheffield enough. Brilliant place to live and it has the added bonus of a 1 hour train journey to Leicester :thumbup:

From a different point of view, I looked at warwick but didn't go, not keen on a campus uni myself. I liked that I was in the city (think manchester and leeds are like that off your list() but it's different strokes for different folks and depends on what style you think you'd prefer.

From a different point of view, I looked at warwick but didn't go, not keen on a campus uni myself. I liked that I was in the city (think manchester and leeds are like that off your list() but it's different strokes for different folks and depends on what style you think you'd prefer.

The first two open days I went to were Bath and Nottingham, both campus, and I really liked both them initially and although I can't be sure, having lived in a city based campus I'm glad I didn't go to either of those and end up on a campus. Being in the city centre is one of the best things about uni for me.

As you say though, different strokes etc

The first two open days I went to were Bath and Nottingham, both campus, and I really liked both them initially and although I can't be sure, having lived in a city based campus I'm glad I didn't go to either of those and end up on a campus. Being in the city centre is one of the best things about uni for me.

As you say though, different strokes etc

Yeah, at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference. At the end of the day I reckon I would have loved it anywhere though. It was never so much about the Uni and more about the people I was enjoying it with, and you can build those relationships up where ever you are. As long as your Uni is decent at teaching what you want to do (which mine was).

I went to Warwick. I enjoyed it. It's very different to a city uni because it's campus based, and a large campus at that. They've changed the Union (which is massively more important on a campus based uni, at least when you're on campus in your first year) and it's not as good as it was (the old one was grubby but loveable). I had an ace time there though over my four years. I'm a bit tipsy at the moment so I'm probably not making much sense. If you have any questions then feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them when I'm a bit more sober.

For a bit tipsy you did alright!

Sorry for being a dumb-ass here, but Student Union?

For a bit tipsy you did alright!

Sorry for being a dumb-ass here, but Student Union?

All Unis tend to have a Student Union which is a building with a night club/bar and a few shops (as LargeAl pointed out above). In a City uni these tend to be under used because there's a lot more choice around the place. At a campus Uni, at least in the first year, you'll use it a lot more because there's not as many places to get to as easily. If you're going to a Campus based Uni where it's not as easy to get somewhere else for a drink it's worth checking what the SU is like.

Another thing I would say is that you should really put the course first imo.

It's often hard to sift through all the bullshit of a prospectus, but the thing is, as Alexikokopops said, you can and will meet some of your best friends at uni wherever you go.

Obviously you want somewhere with a good nights out and that is a nice city, but chances are you'll enjoy it in the majority of places whereas I think choosing a course could and most likely will have a massive effect on your uni experience and indeed beyond that.

As long as I can do a good course, I'll be fine.

As ajthefox just said, night's out come second.

Seeing as the plan is to houseshare with mates that I'm still in contact with and saw not a week ago, should be all good :D

Archived