Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr The Singh

Anybody been to LA (Los Angeles)

I stayed in the holiday inn on Santa Monica beach (near the pier) for 2 or 3 nights. Ideal location for the beach and within easy access of loads of bars / restaurants. Hotel itself was fairly typical but def recommend for location. Also plenty of parking which if i remember wasn't too expensive.

http://www.hisantamonicahotel.com/

Compton is nice these days :thumbup:

My buddy Ice Cubes from there, he said it's too posh and upmarket for me!!!:D

I stayed in the holiday inn on Santa Monica beach (near the pier) for 2 or 3 nights. Ideal location for the beach and within easy access of loads of bars / restaurants. Hotel itself was fairly typical but def recommend for location. Also plenty of parking which if i remember wasn't too expensive.

http://www.hisantamonicahotel.com/

:thumbup:

I'm off out there for wedding in November, Anyone with any recommendations for central San Diego, Anaheim, San Fran and Portland (Oregon)?

Ahh too bad the MLS season will be over, you might have been lucky enough to watch portland. atmosphere is amazing.

Personally, I think most parts of LA are absolutely overrated.

Stay way off Central LA - it's dull, grim and still on the darker side (though not as bad as in the 80ies and 90ies).

Gallery Row (Main Street/Spring Street) at night shouldn't be missed, though - dozens of free galleries, all within one or two blocks of each other.

And Little Tokyo's quite an experience, too (around Temple Street, near Union Station).

Santa Monica's obviously the best spot in the entire city, right next to the Pacific Ocean.

Other good spots are Huntingdon Beach and Costa Mesa/Newport Beach, on the way down to San Diego.

Or go for something more artsy and explore the Silver Lake neighborhood in North LA.

Also, Venice can be nice, but be advised to steer clear of the beach area at night; druggies, hobos and shady creatures cover the places.

Other than that, visit the Griffith Observatory for a splendid view onto an otherwise flat and dull mega-city or go and see the J. Paul Getty Museum. I'd highly recommend both.

But one thing you simply have to do is cruise through downtown LA on a highway at night.

It's quite a sight, driving past the skyscrapers and the city centre, one highway next to the other, overpasses and the likes.

Go there, do it, then watch Michael Mann's "Collateral" (again).

Personally, I think most parts of LA are absolutely overrated.

Stay way off Central LA - it's dull, grim and still on the darker side (though not as bad as in the 80ies and 90ies).

Gallery Row (Main Street/Spring Street) at night shouldn't be missed, though - dozens of free galleries, all within one or two blocks of each other.

And Little Tokyo's quite an experience, too (around Temple Street, near Union Station).

Santa Monica's obviously the best spot in the entire city, right next to the Pacific Ocean.

Other good spots are Huntingdon Beach and Costa Mesa/Newport Beach, on the way down to San Diego.

Or go for something more artsy and explore the Silver Lake neighborhood in North LA.

Also, Venice can be nice, but be advised to steer clear of the beach area at night; druggies, hobos and shady creatures cover the places.

Other than that, visit the Griffith Observatory for a splendid view onto an otherwise flat and dull mega-city or go and see the J. Paul Getty Museum. I'd highly recommend both.

But one thing you simply have to do is cruise through downtown LA on a highway at night.

It's quite a sight, driving past the skyscrapers and the city centre, one highway next to the other, overpasses and the likes.

Go there, do it, then watch Michael Mann's "Collateral" (again).

Taa Prussian, looking into Santa Monica

• 2 weeks later...

Stayed in Oakland once, I wouldn't recommend it.

We went into there for a day when we stayed in San Fran, not the nicest place in the world. The people we met were great though.

LA is fantastic, if you are in Santa Monica can you go into a pub called "ye olde kings head"? It's near the pier down a side street, I put a Leicester scarf behind the bar there in summer 2009 and would like know if its still there. :trumpet:

Archived