Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bettsj2

Middlesborough Player Ratings

Schmeichel - 7: most of what he did was fine, but he didn't move for their goal

De Laet - 6: not on for long enough to make a mark; but again better going forward than defending

Morgan - 7: usual competent self, but a bit 'lost' at times (seemingly not knowing who he was supposed to be marking)

St Ledger - 8 (MotM for me): one of the best games I've seen him have; he had Jutkiewicz (or however he's spelt !) in his pocket

Konchesky - 7: OK going forward and defending

Marshall - 5: again poor; playing in a 'roving' role (on left and right) doesn't suit him - he needs to go back to being a straight-forward right winger (but then they couldn't properly accomodate Knocky !)

Drinkwater - 7: as hard working as ever, good defensively and breaking up opposition breaks, but can't offer that 'killer pass' or make a mark in attack (can't see him ever scoring !)

James - 5.5: just what does he do - wanders about a bit, does a few passes - nothing that really contributes though

Knockaert - 7.5: loses his way a lot, is greedy and holds on to the ball when he should pass more - but real skill and makes such a difference (I'd say a 'new David Ginola' !). He was really 'up for it' - geeing up the crowd and a proper showman. I reckon he'll be a legend for us !

Nugent - 6.5: such a quiet game, didn't seem to know what to do/where to be; worked hard for others, but never really looked like scoring

Vardy - 7: mainly quiet up front (as Nugent), but far more mobile, defended well when De Laet was injured (playing right back for 10 minutes) - and did score the goal

Subs:-

Moore - 6.5: OK, but never really comfortable at right back (seemed a bit 'lost') strange as that WAS his position - perhaps too used to being in the centre now

King - 7: made a difference in midfield, though never looked like scoring. There's no way James should be in ahead of a fit Kingy

Dyer - 7: typical Lloyd - ran around a lot (mainly on the right), lost the ball / lost his way a lot - but really worried their defence with his pace - and scored a (fluky !) goal. Much better than Marshall at the moment / in this formation (with Knocky in 'the hole' / roving around) - should start against Huddersfield.

For next match ?:-

St Ledger to right back (can't see De Laet being fit) and young Moore seems to have lost his way for now

Whitbread in the centre

King for James

Dyer for Marshall

King and Nugent never looked like scoring?

Well Nugent hit the post, and King would've scored but for a fantastic save....

Just to defend Marshall slightly. He broke up with his Mrs a few weeks ago who he'd been with for 7 years or something, and that's coincided with his loss of form.

He'll be back on form soon.

Him knobbing dog-rough strippers probably didn't help their relationship.

Marshall is at his best when, like Knockeart, he is being given freedom to roam...... :thumbup:

This season it would appear that he has been required to play out wide, first on the right, now even less effectively on the left. he needs to me more involved, he's isolated and starved of the ball.

I agree but the thing with Marshall is he's simply not as good as Knockaert is behind the forward.

Marshall would be better out wide in a 4-4-2 where you get crosses in to forwards that can actually win headers (which ours never do from crosses lets face it).

Like I say though, very much a confidence player, reminds me a lot of when we signed him at the minute.

I agree but the thing with Marshall is he's simply not as good as Knockaert is behind the forward.

Marshall would be better out wide in a 4-4-2 where you get crosses in to forwards that can actually win headers (which ours never do from crosses lets face it).

Like I say though, very much a confidence player, reminds me a lot of when we signed him at the minute.

This couldn't be any more true, me and my mate were talking about this the other day. Marshall is a young lad, who when he has confidence in his ability and is on form he really is on fire, but he can also be easily knocked, and seems to lack a little self belief (if thats the correct term). Then you have a young lad like Knockaert who breeds confidence, he knows he has the quality and has a cockiness about him, it's certainly not a bad thing but he can do too much. Get both of these lads full of confidence, and it'll be scary, but may struggle to play to both of their strenghts and the teams strengths in a certain formation.

This couldn't be any more true, me and my mate were talking about this the other day. Marshall is a young lad, who when he has confidence in his ability and is on form he really is on fire, but he can also be easily knocked, and seems to lack a little self belief (if thats the correct term). Then you have a young lad like Knockaert who breeds confidence, he knows he has the quality and has a cockiness about him, it's certainly not a bad thing but he can do too much. Get both of these lads full of confidence, and it'll be scary, but may struggle to play to both of their strenghts and the teams strengths in a certain formation.

It's nearly that time of the year, time to bring out the Christmas tree...... :santa:

Front 6 something like this, away from home at least......

Drinkwater--James--King

Marsgall--Knockeart

Nugent/Vardy

Did not see yeaterdays game but midweek he was excellent in a calm, understated manner...... :thumbup:

I thought so too but there seems a majority in this thread claiming him to be anything from poor to average so 2 MOM votes seems at odds with that.

I thought so too but there seems a majority in this thread claiming him to be anything from poor to average so 2 MOM votes seems at odds with that.

Doesn't run around like an idiot or stand around pointing at other players...... :thumbup:

Very much the humble 'water carrier' to Knockearts inspiration.

Archived