Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Home form v Away form

At home, as most of us predicted, City are a strong side. We control games and have been turning chances into goals.

We usually expect to go into home games and win. For instance, I'd be surprised if we lost next week to Cardiff.

Away from home, our record is relatively poor. We go into away games usually not expecting to do so well.

I know that most teams will be stronger at home than away, but this season it's quite marked with City.

Why are we not picking up many points on the road? Or are you happy with our away performances? Are we doing as well away as most of us expected, or not?

Opinions please.....

As said in another thread, Cardiff have lost only one less than us on the road. The problem is the games we draw we should finish off. Barnsley and Forest are the main cases in point. Should have both been out of sight. Blackburn away also. It'll come.

As said in another thread, Cardiff have lost only one less than us on the road. The problem is the games we draw we should finish off. Barnsley and Forest are the main cases in point. Should have both been out of sight. Blackburn away also. It'll come.

I agree, if we'd won those games, which we really should have, then we'd have the same record as Cardiff at home. Maybe it's a harsh criticism to say we could've been even better at the KP but there's no doubt Barnsley and Forest were matches where we should've taken three points.

With these improvements we'd be third and no-one would have any concerns about our away form because we'd been utterly dominant at home.

The games we've struggled in or have lost away we either haven't been clinical enough or have been bullied out of the game. We need to be stronger, teams are figuring us out, if you don't give us space and freedom we become clueless, Leeds and Milwall are examples of this. The likes of Forest, Charlton and Blackburn we just needed to be better infront of goal, this problem was sorted then we went and did something similar against Barnsley. We seem to come out fighting then take our foot of the pedal a bit, we've managed to keep momentum going for the full 90 before so why are we stopping all of a sudden? Cardiff won't come to us and try and bully us out of the game, it will be end to end and we really need to make the most of being at home and put in a good performance, not just 20 minutes of dominance and fade. It's frustrating because we know that we are so much better than what we've been lately, so why can't we just show it?

The games we've struggled in or have lost away we either haven't been clinical enough or have been bullied out of the game. We need to be stronger, teams are figuring us out, if you don't give us space and freedom we become clueless, Leeds and Milwall are examples of this. The likes of Forest, Charlton and Blackburn we just needed to be better infront of goal, this problem was sorted then we went and did something similar against Barnsley. We seem to come out fighting then take our foot of the pedal a bit, we've managed to keep momentum going for the full 90 before so why are we stopping all of a sudden? Cardiff won't come to us and try and bully us out of the game, it will be end to end and we really need to make the most of being at home and put in a good performance, not just 20 minutes of dominance and fade. It's frustrating because we know that we are so much better than what we've been lately, so why can't we just show it?

I don't think we are, we are at best a playoff side with the players we have we need 2-3 quality signings in January to push us on for the top 2 this league is wide open at the top end and we need to grasp this opportunity or we could be ruing it for sometime imo.

I don't think we are, we are at best a playoff side with the players we have we need 2-3 quality signings in January to push us on for the top 2 this league is wide open at the top end and we need to grasp this opportunity or we could be ruing it for sometime imo.

I'm not saying we're a top two side, at the moment we're not even playing like play off contenders. Bullied by Leeds and Milwall, both who were there for the taking if we had the strength to actually put some fight in and not hide. Derby, yes we dominated at the start and the end, but that period in the middle they could easily have came right back into it, Barnsley was certainly not a play off team performance. You look at games at the start of the season where we would dominate and put in a real top class performance, ok we weren't clinical enough and made some basic defensive errors, but the performance and effort from the team was fantastic, we're missing that now. Near enough every opposition fan of a team we played between August and October would say that we are the best team they've come up against, when was the last time we got that kind of appreciation.

Away from home in some games, we can't rely on 4-4-2 everytime, it won't work in some games as proven this season. You need to bulk up certain areas especially the midfield, we could do with playing three in midfield sometimes, it didn't work against Watford, but who says it wouldn't work in other games. We lost against Wolves, Millwall and Leeds because we played a flat 4-4-2 against a side with a physical presence.

Pearson really needs to change it around sometimes especially away from home, not all the time but sometimes it is necessary to change it up a bit. Turn to three in midfield, turn to five in defence, turn to plan B with Futacs. In some games, Pearson needs to do some of these things.

That spell where we were playing well away from home, we played teams similar to ours, Huddersfield have a similar style, similar players but we had the better quality, same applies to Middlesbrough, what I believe is one of our best victories this season so far, if not the best.

Pearson can't play a flat 4-4-2 all the time, that is the problem I think, people might not necessarily want five in defence, but a 4-3-1-2, or 4-4-2 with a bit more urgency about it wouldn't go a miss, let Drinkwater, a new midfielder and King hold and then let Knockaert/Marshall roam in a free role. 4-3-3 is a no though, it never works with Leicester and will turn into a 4-5-1 - frustrating!!!

Pearson can't play a flat 4-4-2 all the time, that is the problem I think, people might not necessarily want five in defence, but a 4-3-1-2, or 4-4-2 with a bit more urgency about it wouldn't go a miss, let Drinkwater, a new midfielder and King hold and then let Knockaert/Marshall roam in a free role. 4-3-3 is a no though, it never works with Leicester and will turn into a 4-5-1 - frustrating!!!

Finally thank you!!! FFS 4-4-2 just isn't working away from home. against Millwall I think it needed 4-2-3-1. using our pace to hit them on the break

We are 15th in the away record table. Our record is the same as Derby and Ipswich. We clearly have good players because we are where we are, but for whatever reason they struggle to cope with away matches. It has been an issue since the beginning of the season so I'd hope Pearson knows what the issue is by now, unless he genuinely thinks we've been a bit unlucky which would concern me. Maybe he doesn't know how to solve the problem. Or ,aybe he does but needs January to come to bring in the players to rectify it. We will find out soon enough.

Archived