Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alf Bentley

Wilko Johnson

Some seriously shitty news for people of a certain age, I'm afraid...

Legendary guitarist (ex-Dr. Feelgood, Ian Dury & Blockheads & solo) Wilko Johnson has announced that he has terminal cancer of the pancreas:

http://www.wilkojohnson.org/#!__important-announcement

As his health should remain viable for a few months yet, he's announced that he'll be doing a farewell UK tour shortly - not to be missed.

He was an absolute highlight of Summer Sundae 2011 and I've seen him at the Musician in recent years - still raw, exciting and spellbinding (likewise his bassist, Norman Watt-Roy, ex-Dury)

If you can't get to his gigs, check out "Oil City Confidential", Julian Temple's film about Dr. Feelgood, a serious contender for the best music film ever. They were a bit before my time, but I really wish they hadn't been...

One of the best acts i have ever seen live. If only for his bass player.

Watt-Roy (bassist) is brilliant - a gurning, ecstatic stage presence, like a cross between a Dickensian undertaker and a schoolboy let loose in a sweet shop. I seriously think that I'd pay good money to watch him eat his breakfast!

dr feelgood always looked they could beat the shit out of you.

Again, I'm sure Wilko's stage presence was a big part of that. I remember an interview (possibly in "Oil City Confidential"?), where he said that he learned about stage presence when he worked for a few years as a secondary school English teacher, before becoming a blues rocker - adopting that swivel-eyed stare to control the classroom, so that all the pupils thought he was looking at them...now all the audience does! I hope that I get a final chance to see the great man live.

• 2 months later...

Archived