Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kevfromle

Kingy

First of all it is important to understand that we play 4-4-2 and both the team and the management are so uncomfortable with any other formation that we are awful when we try them.

Playing 4-4-2 in a hugely competitive and physical league puts a huge burdon on the central pairing, particularly as we keep our front 2 well forward and our wide men are not always that supportive in central areas.

When we are playing well, our usual high tempo passing game, everything is fine, any two of King, James and Drinkwater will get the job done, no problem. When, for whatever reason it all goes to shite, It would take players of the caliber of Roy Keane and Paul Scholes in their pomp to make a difference.

In fact they would struggle as when we cave we do so quite spectacularly, there are no options, no players making runs and our balls out of defence go straight to the opposition. It is a team problem and requires a team solution, blaming individual players is pointless.... :(

Totally agree Dave, though I do feel we benefit tremendously from the player who is comfortable in the deeper role ala Lennon, which unquestionably James is the most adept at.IMO when we don't have that position covered the mistimed clearances are leading to the ball coming straight back at us far too quickly!

Totally agree Dave, though I do feel we benefit tremendously from the player who is comfortable in the deeper role ala Lennon, which unquestionably James is the most adept at.IMO when we don't have that position covered the mistimed clearances are leading to the ball coming straight back at us far too quickly!

Fair comment, but then James (nor Drinkwater for that matter) does not not provide the goal threat that King normally does, all three players are different to varying degrees and all three do a pretty good job....... :thumbup:

The King / Drinkwater pairing did a decent enough job for 60+ minutes on saturday, our failure was that pretty much everyone stopped playing and we had no idea how to change it.

I have pretty much accepted that we are going to play 4-4-2 this season, both because it is NFP's way and because we are hopeless playing anything else, but I believe a more flexible system would allow us a chance to change the game when we falter, something we are unable to do at the moment.

I am not advocating a change at this time, I feel we are to deep into the season to be making such changes and anyway, we have seen no evidence that we know how to play anything other than 4-4-2..... :(

Agreed that and are pressing game we switched off when we scored against Peterborough.

Couldn't agree more. We conceded the space voluntarily, and the moment they went in front we were back on the rampage and creating chances for fun.

Our team is so capable of winning promotion but until we stop being so tactically naive - and so unassertive at just the times we should be driving our advantage home - we will continue giving other teams a chance and dropping points we should be winning.

What we need is to keep pressing the opposition even after we get ahead and to get another striker worthy of the name because Waghorn is way short of what we need.

Couldn't agree more. We conceded the space voluntarily, and the moment they went in front we were back on the rampage and creating chances for fun.

Our team is so capable of winning promotion but until we stop being so tactically naive - and so unassertive at just the times we should be driving our advantage home - we will continue giving other teams a chance and dropping points we should be winning.

What we need is to keep pressing the opposition even after we get ahead and to get another striker worthy of the name because Waghorn is way short of what we need.

This has happened a fair number of times this season and quite frankly is pretty obvious to see.

We have started games in that conservative, holding style and been turned over, Millwall, Watford and Leeds come to mind and also switched off when we get in front, Barnsley, M'Boro, P'Boro etc.

What I don't understand is why nothing has been done about it....... :dunno:

This has happened a fair number of times this season and quite frankly is pretty obvious to see.

We have started games in that conservative, holding style and been turned over, Millwall, Watford and Leeds come to mind and also switched off when we get in front, Barnsley, M'Boro, P'Boro etc.

What I don't understand is why nothing has been done about it....... :dunno:

I neither disagree or agree with what you say. What I would ask is, when you say nothing has been done, what is it that you would like to see done and having made these changes, what difference would that have made to the season so far?

IMO I think King is one of our better players! People say people like King/Vardy/Waghorn are Pearson's favourites or up his a** etc etc well for me Drinkwater is the most overrated player we have!

He is very poor in a lot of games and goes missing at times of need. Id drop him as hes alot worse than people make out.

King and James with james sitting and King bombing forward would work a treat I think.

Vardy needs to improve and he does look out of his depth. Waghorn can be a good player but he just seems to lack a little bottle when the final finish comes..Futacs needs to be given a chance, I dont understand why he isnt used?

For Huddersfield Id play:

Kasper

Moore Keane Morgan Konch

Knocky King James Dyer

Waghorn Futacs

Bench: Nugent, Vardy, Drinky, De Laet, Marshall.

Marshall is out injured so wont be on the bench.

I'd go for the old midfield of Dyer, Wellens, King and Gally.

I dont want to go through.

I was confused at that midfield, until I saw that bit at the bottom. If you want to lose that midfield would probably help. Just think, 3 or 4 years ago or whatever it was, we'd have all dreamed of that midfield taking us to the prem. Funny how things change

Although, on a side note Udders have a lot of injuries.

I neither disagree or agree with what you say. What I would ask is, when you say nothing has been done, what is it that you would like to see done and having made these changes, what difference would that have made to the season so far?

Busy morning (training), so to the football.

Firstly do you agree that we have been guilty of switching off in some games when we have gone ahead? Personally I think it is self evident but some don't appear to see it.

This has allowed teams back into games we had already won and cost us points, most recently on saturday.

Secondly do you agree that when we play a high tempo, pressing game we are much better than when we go into a game with a conservative game plan designed to contain the opposition? Not quite so obvious this, but I would point you at the games v Millwall, Watford and Leeds as games where we set up quite defensively, never really got our game going and got turned over.

So what changes to make.

To me this is primarily an attitude issue so the change I would make is to make sure the team knows to play the pressing and passing game at all times and never to sit back and invite the opposition on to us.

They also need to know that even if they get beaten by a superior side, that is still the way to play. Simple to say and no doubt far more difficult to coach but then, that is what NFP and his crew are paid to do, is it not........ :dunno:

Archived