Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kevfromle

Kingy

The King situation puzzles me.

He has proven in the past that he can be an attacking force.

This season, he's pulling back in most games and acts as a defensive central midfielder or even a defensive midfielder.

And that's why I sometimes expect too much from him - I want him to play in a more attacking position, but it seems like he's not allowed to.

I don't know whether this role suits him, but if he's being used in this role more often, you have to accommodate the rest of the midfield around him, so that he can operate effectively.

The King situation puzzles me.

He has proven in the past that he can be an attacking force.

This season, he's pulling back in most games and acts as a defensive central midfielder or even a defensive midfielder.

And that's why I sometimes expect too much from him - I want him to play in a more attacking position, but it seems like he's not allowed to.

I don't know whether this role suits him, but if he's being used in this role more often, you have to accommodate the rest of the midfield around him, so that he can operate effectively.

Two points to help you out.... ;)

King does all his best work defensively in and around our box, he is strong in the air and makes last ditch blocks and tackles aplenty, rarely gives away a freekick or a penalty. However he is not the strongest or most physical in the middle third, that's just the way he is.

He has a problem getting forward because the space he would normally run into is usually occupied by Marshall and, particularly, Knockaert as they come in from their flanks. Though to be fair to his critics, his finishing this season has not been up to his usual standards which for the moment at least makes him a less effective player.

For the record I thought King was one of our better players on saturday, for an hour anyway, after that everyone were complete bobbins... :(

King's contribution just from the highlights

Ta Davie G. I take it then that he was the player who set up Drinky to assist, stole the ball from a Peterborough attack to race up the pitch and set up Vardy, and then blocked the initial shot for P'boro's first goal?

And people are saying he didn't offer much?!

Kingy surely is made a massive scapegoat. He does so much work for the team that seemingly goes un-noticed, especially defensively. Whether it be just tracking a run or making clearances, he's certainly a very valuable squad member.

Kingy surely is made a massive scapegoat. He does so much work for the team that seemingly goes un-noticed, especially defensively. Whether it be just tracking a run or making clearances, he's certainly a very valuable squad member.

To be fair: Without Wellens, and with the team playing some good football, it's getting harder and harder to find a scapegoat, hence some truly window-licking nominations Some try Marshall, others King, Vardy's a big favourite and whenever Waggy plays he's guaranteed some knee-jerk scapegoating too. I just try to ignore it and focus on the comments from the people who have been to the match and/or have shown that they actually know what they're talking about.

To be fair: Without Wellens, and with the team playing some good football, it's getting harder and harder to find a scapegoat, hence some truly window-licking nominations Some try Marshall, others King, Vardy's a big favourite and whenever Waggy plays he's guaranteed some knee-jerk scapegoating too. I just try to ignore it and focus on the comments from the people who have been to the match and/or have shown that they actually know what they're talking about.

It's the modern way I'm afraid, didn't get what I wanted so it must be someones fault, see it all the time...... :(

The starting XI on saturday were fine for about an hour, we were a goal up and in control, then suddenly we were not....... :dunno:

This is nothing to do with individual players or formations, it's a team issue, we stopped playing as a team, just as we have on a number of occasions this season.

But that doesn't satisfy the ****** who want someone to blame, haters gotta hate...... :cry:

What is it that people don't get with King. It must three years or more that I have been banging on about Andy King being inadequate in a four man midfield which includes two 'wide' men. He is too weak, get it??? Too weak guys. Yes, we can sometimes pick up the odd win with him in such a formation, but we will not get automatic promotion if we are stuck with him as one of our two central midfield players for too many games.

We could just about use him in a more forward midfield role with a five man midfield, otherwise forget it.

Please note, this is not something new with King, he has always been the same. Do you guys actually go to watch the matches, because I can't believe so many of you actually think he is good enough to be in a Leicester promotion side.

King should be no higher than fourth choice central midfield player, and just in case, Wellens should be twelfth pick in midfield ( after some of the under 14 team ).

What is it that people don't get with King. It must three years or more that I have been banging on about Andy King being inadequate in a four man midfield which includes two 'wide' men. He is too weak, get it??? Too weak guys. Yes, we can sometimes pick up the odd win with him in such a formation, but we will not get automatic promotion if we are stuck with him as one of our two central midfield players for too many games.

We could just about use him in a more forward midfield role with a five man midfield, otherwise forget it.

Please note, this is not something new with King, he has always been the same. Do you guys actually go to watch the matches, because I can't believe so many of you actually think he is good enough to be in a Leicester promotion side.

King should be no higher than fourth choice central midfield player, and just in case, Wellens should be twelfth pick in midfield ( after some of the under 14 team ).

I do go to the games. I see a player who is important to this promotion winning team. I hate this perception that he is the "invisible man", as some like to call him. Watch closely and you'll see a player who is not inadequate one bit.

He cleans up when defenders make mistakes (ie. Keane vs Wolves), he makes crucial blocks (ie. the one before the peterborough goal on Saturday), he is important in our passing play and he is one of our most experienced and loyal players!

Yes, he may not score as much as he used to but he seems to have a more defensive role nowadays. Yes, he may seem lightweight and is pushed off the ball sometimes, but so is drinkwater (who I personally think can be more invisible when times aren't great in central midfield). I also think, should we make it, he will be a fantastic player in the Premier League with a bit more time on the ball his quality will shine! I just don't get people who slate him week in week out. It's because when he makes mistakes or get pushed off the ball people seem to remember it more than when he does something important. I think some people are just clouded by the idea that he is the "invisible man".

I, like many, would like the free scoring Kingy of old back. But, he has a new role, which he carries out with just as much success as his old one, even if he gets more stick for it!

When Andy King first broke into the squad he looked a great prospect. He ghosted into the box to score some superb goals and was probably the best finisher at the club. It looked only a matter of time before he fulfilled his potential. Unfortunately I think his progress has stuttered along since then.

Last season I was very frustrated by him. He did go missing in lots of games and, whilst it was Wellens and Gallagher who seemed to cop all the criticism, for me King was just as culpable. He needed to find a way to influence games when the attacking side of his game wasn’t working.

This season I thought would be a big one for King and I was encouraged, early on, that he seems to have found a way to be involved in games and contribute. I actually think he’s had a pretty good season so far, but mainly as a defensive minded midfielder. His attacking flair seems to have been compromised by his desire to ensure that he’s more involved and the goals have dried up. If he’s going to become a defensive midfielder than I’m afraid that James will remain the better option for the foreseeable future. James is simply better at it as he reads the game more effectively, breaks up play better and distributes the ball better. If King could now recover his goal scoring prowess and retain his higher work rate he would not only be the best midfielder at our club, but probably the best in the division. Unfortunately I’ve not seen enough to suggest he can do this.

So, for me, it’s James and Drinky as our first choice CM duo with King waiting in the wings. That’s not because I think that King has been ineffective, but simply that the balance looks much better. King is a useful alternative and will get plenty of games when one of the first two is injured. If King has a future as first choice then I see James as being a more suitable partner in the middle but, without his goals, he won’t displace Drinky who is a better all round player.

King is not bad by any means - but it seems imo he doesn't have the same holding ability or play as well with Drinky as James did in the last few matches before he was out injured.

This doesnt make King shit - but James and Drinkwater really are a better option at the moment IMO

King is not bad by any means - but it seems imo he doesn't have the same holding ability or play as well with Drinky as James did in the last few matches before he was out injured.

This doesnt make King shit - but James and Drinkwater really are a better option at the moment IMO

Very well put.

What is it that people don't get with Arthursteppe? It must three years or more that I have been banging on about Arthursteppe being intellectually inadequate in a forum which includes people who actually understand football. He is too thick, get it???

Don't get me wrong.

I'm not trying to make a scapegoat of any player and certainly not Andy King.

Perhaps the only player I've ever been heavily critical of over recent times has been Beckford and I don't apologise for this, I think it's been pretty justified.

I think too many are missing the boat with the King thing.

I've often said he can be a lovely player. Calm in possession, accurate with his passing and always has an eye for getting forward and making that burst into the box to get on the end of moves.

He can also look very tired very quickly, can lose out in physical encounters and can go through games without having much of an impact on them.

Basically IMO: King is useful in matches where we are controlling the game. King looks much less useful in games where we are being bombarded by quick, physical teams who are controlling our game ie. not letting us play.

If people can't see this then all I can see is that you are in denial. We have lost many games away this season in which King has started and I feel this to not be any coincidence.

So no, I'm not scapegoating the lad. I'm saying, as I've always said, that I would play King in certain games but not in others. For the reasons given. I don't think he's a bad player, sometimes he can be very very good. But I also think some games, as has been proven this very season, King in a 4-4-2 is not a strong option.

Finally, I believe in partnerships and it looks, to me, like Drinkwater has a more natural understanding when he plays with Matt James. The two just seem to go together.

If James was fit and ready to play on Saturday then I feel Pearson dropped a bollock by fielding King. Not that King, individually, didn't play ok.. It sounds like he did, but when we reached the point whereby we needed to 'dig-in' and thwart Peterborough's getting on top of us, we again weren't able to. THAT'S when King struggles IMO and why I've cried out this season was another bigger, stronger central midfield option to use when we need to.

Ive watched King now for long enough to believe I'm correct on this.

I hear a lot of people always saying king does a lot of running, which is fair enough but one think that struck me on sat was that he doesn't possess the same natural athletisism as James. He runs in a slower more awkward way, which means he's never there in time for the tackle.

He played well in first half of the season but just don't think he has the quality to maintain it. Hopefully James will take up from where he left prior to injury

Don't get me wrong.

I'm not trying to make a scapegoat of any player and certainly not Andy King.

Perhaps the only player I've ever been heavily critical of over recent times has been Beckford and I don't apologise for this, I think it's been pretty justified.

I think too many are missing the boat with the King thing.

I've often said he can be a lovely player. Calm in possession, accurate with his passing and always has an eye for getting forward and making that burst into the box to get on the end of moves.

He can also look very tired very quickly, can lose out in physical encounters and can go through games without having much of an impact on them.

Basically IMO: King is useful in matches where we are controlling the game. King looks much less useful in games where we are being bombarded by quick, physical teams who are controlling our game ie. not letting us play.

If people can't see this then all I can see is that you are in denial. We have lost many games away this season in which King has started and I feel this to not be any coincidence.

So no, I'm not scapegoating the lad. I'm saying, as I've always said, that I would play King in certain games but not in others. For the reasons given. I don't think he's a bad player, sometimes he can be very very good. But I also think some games, as has been proven this very season, King in a 4-4-2 is not a strong option.

Finally, I believe in partnerships and it looks, to me, like Drinkwater has a more natural understanding when he plays with Matt James. The two just seem to go together.

If James was fit and ready to play on Saturday then I feel Pearson dropped a bollock by fielding King. Not that King, individually, didn't play ok.. It sounds like he did, but when we reached the point whereby we needed to 'dig-in' and thwart Peterborough's getting on top of us, we again weren't able to. THAT'S when King struggles IMO and why I've cried out this season was another bigger, stronger central midfield option to use when we need to.

Nothing any of you can say to me will make me change my mind on this. I've watched King now for long enough to believe I'm correct on this.

You're more considered than many on here, but this is a drum you bang too often.

The coincidence argument is as nonsensical as any I've heard. Morgan and Schmeichel have played those losing games too. Is that indicative indicative??

DD is another who is liable to be overpowered, where are his threads? When the going gets tough, he passes backwards until we lump it forward. We haven't seen James and King play together, so why is King the problem away from home? It takes two to tango, and for me DD is just as culpable. And since King played well, why is it him who should make way?

Rather than King being the weak link, couldn't it just be that James is a strong one? If I can't change your mind, can you at least help with that?

On saturday I felt King was the better of our 2 central midfielders, Drinky has been primarily outstanding yet he is not lambasted for a poorer than usual performance, not that I advocate the blame game! The issue I feel is not about the ability of individuals it's more about balance and blend. I actually would be interested to see how King and James played together because James looks comfortable in a withdrawn role. We know Drinky and James work well and is that because James picks the ball up deeper and makes the link up play smoother? Quite a few people have used link in their posts and I firmly believe the positional issue is the problem not the personnel.

On saturday I felt King was the better of our 2 central midfielders, Drinky has been primarily outstanding yet he is not lambasted for a poorer than usual performance, not that I advocate the blame game! The issue I feel is not about the ability of individuals it's more about balance and blend. I actually would be interested to see how King and James played together because James looks comfortable in a withdrawn role. We know Drinky and James work well and is that because James picks the ball up deeper and makes the link up play smoother? Quite a few people have used link in their posts and I firmly believe the positional issue is the problem not the personnel.

Agreed that and are pressing game we switched off when we scored against Peterborough.

Sorry guys I can't agree on this one. Hence 'drum-banging' lol

Drinky/James is the best combination we have at the club IMO.

I wouldn't drop Drinkwater for King. Drinkwater, for me is the engine of the team. What we need to do is to look at ways to get the best out of him so that he can start looking to go forward more. I don't mean to score goals himself, cos he can't shoot for shit, I mean to win possession HIGHER-UP the field to get Knocky and Marshall into more dangerous positions.

James holding role gives him that licence and I've watched the pair of them very closely. Drinky always looks more comfortable knowing James is alongside him, happy to sit and hold and to mop up.

One final time, Andy King is not a bad player. But I still believe it's being overrun in the centre of the park during certain games that is causing us to lose them.

Sorry guys I can't agree on this one. Hence 'drum-banging' lol

Drinky/James is the best combination we have at the club IMO.

I wouldn't drop Drinkwater for King. Drinkwater, for me is the engine of the team. What we need to do is to look at ways to get the best out of him so that he can start looking to go forward more. I don't mean to score goals himself, cos he can't shoot for shit, I mean to win possession HIGHER-UP the field to get Knocky and Marshall into more dangerous positions.

James holding role gives him that licence and I've watched the pair of them very closely. Drinky always looks more comfortable knowing James is alongside him, happy to sit and hold and to mop up.

One final time, Andy King is not a bad player. But I still believe it's being overrun in the centre of the park during certain games that is causing us to lose them.

"Are you Jobber in disguise?" lol

I think the role that James plays is the key point Col, neither King or Drinky play that deep naturally, hence leading to a congested midfield where we encounter the "bullied" off the ball problem. I would never advocate dropping Drinky I would just like to see a different combination in a less vital game to see how it works, just a thought? :dunno:

First of all it is important to understand that we play 4-4-2 and both the team and the management are so uncomfortable with any other formation that we are awful when we try them.

Playing 4-4-2 in a hugely competitive and physical league puts a huge burdon on the central pairing, particularly as we keep our front 2 well forward and our wide men are not always that supportive in central areas.

When we are playing well, our usual high tempo passing game, everything is fine, any two of King, James and Drinkwater will get the job done, no problem. When, for whatever reason it all goes to shite, It would take players of the caliber of Roy Keane and Paul Scholes in their pomp to make a difference.

In fact they would struggle as when we cave we do so quite spectacularly, there are no options, no players making runs and our balls out of defence go straight to the opposition. It is a team problem and requires a team solution, blaming individual players is pointless.... :(

Archived