Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Mercury Music Prize

People can say I am a sheep blah blah blah I don't care, it always comes from the same music snobs on here. I'm not critisising the guys music (although the song being played on the radio at present is shocking). I thought his performance last night was really good. I am just having a go at these awards inparticular.

People can say the judges are just choosing the album they like, that maybe true. But I personally feel they choose the "unknowns" and "controversials" to get more press. If they choose a Coldplay or a Kaisers every year they would not get the press they are getting for choosing an unknown.

I mean are you telling me the best 10 albums in the last 10 years are as follows...

Anothony and the Johnsons

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da corner

Ms Dynamite - A Little Deeper

PJ Harvey - SFTC, SFTS

Badly Drawn boy - THOBB

Talvin Singh - OK

Gomez - Bring it on

Roni Size - represent

Pulp - Different Class

All good albums i'm sure but if they are the best their has been then i'll eat my hat.

In my Opinion they are not the best albums of the last 10 years. Although Different Class was a brilliant album. I am just convinced that the judges felt they were the best and most innovative albums at the time. They were not under any pressure to appear cool or anti-cool, they just voted on instincts.

That is what gives the awards a certain amount of credibility that you can't associatate with the Brits or the NME awards.

However, they have ignored seminal British acts of the time such as Radiohead, Aphex Twin and The Streets. These are the artists that will be seen as the creative high points of the late nineties and early naughties and whilst all mercury nominated (I think not sure about AFK) they have not won the award. That does play against them

They were not under any pressure to appear cool or anti-cool, they just voted on instincts.

Like I say I disagree, they have gone so far down the line choosing almost always an "outsider" it's kind of what they are known for and what they are expected to do. Last year they choose Franz Ferdinand because it would shock everyone who thought it would be someone a bit more edgy.

Who knows though, nobody except the people in that room. But my faith in these things is not great, especially when they can bet on them!!!!!!!

My prediction for the next four year.

A Woman soloist wins

A Black artist wins

A Popular Band who sold lots of records wins

A Big fat gay who plays piano and sings like his balls are caught in it, wins.

I think you are too pre-occupied with 'hype' and the media.

I don't think A&TJ had anything to do with the judges wanting to push forward a new band or to look like they are against the mainstream. They are simply concerned with what, in their opinion, was the best and most innovative British album of the past 12 months.

Personally I think the music world would be a lot simpler if everyone took this simple minset into listening to music. Quality is infanetely mor eimportant than anything else. Who cares if the masses love a band, if they are good then they deserve it.

So true. :)

People can say I am a sheep blah blah blah I don't care, it always comes from the same music snobs on here. I'm not critisising the guys music (although the song being played on the radio at present is shocking). I thought his performance last night was really good. I am just having a go at these awards inparticular.

People can say the judges are just choosing the album they like, that maybe true. But I personally feel they choose the "unknowns" and "controversials" to get more press. If they choose a Coldplay or a Kaisers every year they would not get the press they are getting for choosing an unknown.

I mean are you telling me the best 10 albums in the last 10 years are as follows...

Anothony and the Johnsons

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da corner

Ms Dynamite - A Little Deeper

PJ Harvey - SFTC, SFTS

Badly Drawn boy - THOBB

Talvin Singh - OK

Gomez - Bring it on

Roni Size - represent

Pulp - Different Class

All good albums i'm sure but if they are the best their has been then i'll eat my hat.

lol What a load of bull.

Who cares if the masses love a band, if they are good then they deserve it.

Who cares if 10 music snobs in a room love Anothony and the watsits, it's doesn't mean his album is any better than someone like coldplay who can sell 16million.

Just because something is different it doesn't make it good. Maybe I should do an album playing the Mongolian nose flute, I could get a nomination next year.

Who cares if 10 music snobs in a room love Anothony and the watsits, it's doesn't mean his album is any better than someone like coldplay who can sell 16million.

Just because something is different it doesn't make it good. Maybe I should do an album playing the Mongolian nose flute, I could get a nomination next year.

maybe you should, maybe if you had talent you would get a nomination, maybe people would buy your records, maybe you would then not be recogninising quality against record sales.

Maybe? :ph34r:

maybe you should, maybe if you had talent you would get a nomination, maybe people would buy your records, maybe you would then not be recogninising quality against record sales.

Maybe? :ph34r:

Why can't you answer my point? Why are 10 judges opinions better than 10million?

A band like the kaisers might sell 1million, while anthony and the johnsons only 40,000. My point is why is 50,000 peoples opinion better than a million?

If it was an election and labour got 40million votes while the conservatives only 8million, would you elect the tory candidate?

It's just music snobbery, as soon as some people see a band sell a decent number of records they aren't hip enough for them anymore.

Why can't you answer my point? Why are 10 judges opinions better than 10million?

A band like the kaisers might sell 1million, while anthony and the johnsons only 40,000. My point is why is 50,000 peoples opinion better than a million?

If it was an election and labour got 40million votes while the conservatives only 8million, would you elect the tory candidate?

It's just music snobbery, as soon as some people see a band sell a decent number of records they aren't hip enough for them anymore.

Try reading my post futher up, I have answered it earlier

The reason that 10 million?? people buy it is because radio, media, etc etc condition us into choosing what they offer us.

It is the same for fashion, music, etc etc.

Just because lots of people buy it doesnt make it good... and I am not saying that Mercury get it right every time either, merely that they do bring alternatives to our attention.

I actually love the albums you mentioned, but try and find "different" music on our National media, you will struggle.

Why does the fact that 10 highly valued critics think that an artist who you havent heard of is good make it snobbery, I think it actually asks more questions about your own eclecticism.

Its all subjective what is good or not good, but frankly if there were no charts or radio 1 or pap idol or twat factor, there would be soooo much more variety in this world.

Try reading my post futher up, I have answered it earlier

The reason that 10 million?? people buy it is because radio, media, etc etc condition us into choosing what they offer us.

It is the same for fashion, music, etc etc.

Just because lots of people buy it doesnt make it good... and I am not saying that Mercury get it right every time either, merely that they do bring alternatives to our attention.

I actually love the albums you mentioned, but try and find "different" music on our National media, you will struggle.

Why does the fact that 10 highly valued critics think that an artist who you havent heard of is good make it snobbery, I think it actually asks more questions about your own eclecticism.

Its all subjective what is good or not good, but frankly if there were no charts or radio 1 or pap idol or twat factor, there would be soooo much more variety in this world.

one last point, if Beethoven, Mozart and Elgars total sales last year were 20,000 albums, does that mek them shit as well?

Also music is NOT a competition in general terms the fact that soemone sells 20m and someone sells 50K does NOT make them better, an election is exactly that, a first past the post system, a competition?

one last point, if Beethoven, Mozart and Elgars total sales last year were 20,000 albums, does that mek them shit as well?

Also music is NOT a competition in general terms the fact that soemone sells 20m and someone sells 50K does NOT make them better, an election is exactly that, a first past the post system, a competition?

And how old are those albums? We're on about now!

Archived