Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Mercury Music Prize

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

No heard the album, but from what i've heard i'm not a massive fan.

Hard-Fi - Stars Of CCTV

Not heard the album, "Hard To Beat" has impressed me, but it will be just overrated and overplayed I think.

Kaiser Chiefs - Employment

Got the album, and am impressed, The Kaiser Cheifs are the favourites and they deserve to be within the favourites however I think they are better albums in options...

M.I.A. - Arular

Who?????????????? Can't comment, not heard of this artist, let alone heard the album.

The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers

Heard a few bits and bobs from this band, not too impressed.

Coldplay - X&Y

People will probably disagree with this but should be the favourite, as in the other thread about the album not many people are to impressed but I love the album and I love the band!

The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning Strike

Not heard the album

Antony And The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now

Who???????????????

KT Tunstall - 'Eye To The Telescope'

Bought the album yesterday very impressed, love it!

Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger

Heard bits of Maximo Park, havn't heard too much though, there not really a band I can get into for some reason!

Seth Lakeman - Kitty Jay

Who??????????????

Polar Bear - Held On The Tips Of Fingers

Who??????????????

I'm really not sure who to vote for its should be between Coldplay - X & Y, or KT Tunstall - Eye To The Telescope. I am impressed (very) with Kaiser Cheifs - Employment, but I just think KT Tunstall and Coldplays albums are brilliant!

The Magic Numbers and Maximo Park albums are both very good and the sort fo inventive pop music that usually wins this award.

I can't really explain British sea power's ommission, that has puzzled me.???

Kaizer Chiefs will win. <_<

• 1 month later...

The winner is annouced tonight, I am watch it live on BBC Four now (Jo Whiley looks amazing ;):wub:) Final thoughts on the bands still undecided on who I want to win...

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

A few weeks ago I said; Not heard the album, but from what i've heard i'm not a massive fan.

Now; Changed my opinion totally, still not heard the album but I have heard more from the band and I think I will be getting the album, I don't think they should win tonight, but they do seems quite a good band

Hard-Fi - Stars Of CCTV

A few weeks ago I said;Not heard the album, "Hard To Beat" has impressed me, but it will be just overrated and overplayed I think.

Now; I like this band and will be also getting this album too, although along with Bloc Party don't think they should win.

Kaiser Chiefs - Employment

A few weeks ago I said;Got the album, and am impressed, The Kaiser Cheifs are the favourites and they deserve to be within the favourites however I think they are better albums in options...

Now; Good band, They are one of the bands I think should win.

M.I.A. - Arular

A few weeks ago I said;Who?????????????? Can't comment, not heard of this artist, let alone heard the album.

Now; Heard one of her songs today for the first time its not the music i'm into anyway but why is she even nominated for a Murcury Award, her music's shit...

The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers

A few weeks ago;Heard a few bits and bobs from this band, not too impressed.

Now; I like them now, there quite a good band not got the album but this is another album I will probably be getting, possible should be winners...

Coldplay - X&Y

A few weeks I said;People will probably disagree with this but should be the favourite, as in the other thread about the album not many people are to impressed but I love the album and I love the band!

Now;These are in the list of artists I want to win tonight, but I think as a massive Coldplay fan if they win they will have won it on past reputation because this is a great album and I do find it hard to split all three of there albums and I can't say this is the worst album because it isn't, I don't know what is there worst album in the same way I don't know what is there best album in some weird way, however hope they win because I am a big Coldplay fan and if they win I know it will upset alot of people which will be nice! lol

The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning Strike

A few weeks ago I said;Not heard the album

Now; Heard bits still not sure on them, not sure don't think they should win but ain't heard alot of there stuff so can't complain too much

Antony And The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now

A few weeks ago I said;Who???????????????

Now;(If its the song i'm thinking of :unsure:) I have heard this song a few a few times now and it has the weirdest voice ever, but I like it, I don't know why but everytime I hear the song for some reason I think "Johnny Cash" which is no bad thing, but I don't actually know why I think Johnny Cash when I hear the song :unsure:lol

KT Tunstall - 'Eye To The Telescope'

A few weeks ago I said;Bought the album yesterday very impressed, love it!

Now Still impressed and she has just done brilliant on the Murcury Prize show, In my list of hopefull winners.

Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger

A few weeks ago I said;Heard bits of Maximo Park, havn't heard too much though, there not really a band I can get into for some reason!

Now; I still havn't heard to much but the song they have just played on the live show is about the only song I like from this band.

Seth Lakeman - Kitty Jay

A few weeks ago I said;Who??????????????

Now; Heard his song once its not too bad, I'm not normally into that type of music (Folk) but he is quite good! Not sure if he should win but he's ok.

Polar Bear - Held On The Tips Of Fingers

A few weeks ago I said;Who??????????????

Now; Just heard them play on the live show - What the fuk was that? :huh::unsure: This band shouldn't even be making music, it is worse than that Mia person...:nono::thumbdown:

So the artists I want to win are; Kaiser Cheifs, Coldplay, KT Tunstall, very impressed with those artists and I think one of these will win, and I don't like sitting on the fence i'd love to be able to pick one out of those 3 but I just can't split them...

Mercury Music Prize Winner 2005: Anthony And The Johnsons

Its a shock didn't think they'd stand a chance as I said I quite like the band, weird voices, but its not a bad thing, The good thing to come out of this is something not too mainstream and a "outsider" has actually won!

So just because they are not played on radio they don't deserve to win? I don't get it?

But cue the media bandwagon now, they'll be promoted to **** and be the biggest band in England come the end of the year, well, so you'll be led to believe.

They might as well rename the award to the....

Mercury "we'll let the shittest artist win so we look different and arty" Music Prize.

Lets see where Anthony is in a years time. Joke awards IMO.

They've actually been together now for over 5 years......

Isn't this award supposed to be for British Bands?They are a New York band with a British singer!!

They might as well rename the award to the....

Mercury "we'll let the shittest artist win so we look different and arty" Music Prize.

Lets see where Anthony is in a years time. Joke awards IMO.

To be fair I respect the Marcury Music Awards as they geunuinly pick the album they like best. Last year franz Ferdinand won despite being a pop band and media darlings. If they were really worried about comign acorss as 'daring' they wouldn't have nominated Coldplay. (they shouldn't have done anyway because it is not an innovative or interesting album).

I also get the impression A&TJ are an albums band. A lot of people seem to be saying if you listen tot the album repeatedly it is rewarding. As the award is for best album not for most resonating singles this is fair enough. I haven't heard the album so I can't really comment although I thought his performance was really good.

:yesyes:

I was pretty moved by his performance to be fair, whatever you think of this guy, he puts plenty into it, now contrast him with any shitty X factor to55er who are clearly money, fame and sing like every other mo fo on the planet, this guy really is emotional

His lyrics are slightly bizarre but again moving.

I agree that the whole Muso sycophants will love this guy and that he may well go back into obscurity again, but I do genuinely believe that the judges like it...

its not just a best newcomer award, its a "favourite record of the year"

Its great because it does bring more obscure acts to the attention, and makes people open up.

Let yourself be challenged by hearing new things, why just "like" what you have heard twenty times on R1.

I mean I love Kaisers and Coldplay etc

but sometimes I like to put myself out a bit, hence my purchase of Rufus Wainright recently and LOVED it, I see this guy in a similar vein.

There is a good telly programme on about When we started to listen to what we were told...

the fact is much of us HAVE lost our identity, we DO all look the same and listen to MUCH the same shit.

People are VERY rarely massively individual.... you are exclided MR D,! lol

Whatever your opinion is .... HAVE AN OPINION, and unless you listen to new stuff. the answer is alway going to be... who are this lot, never heard of em they must be shit!

Well done Mercury, Well done Anthony and hey lets all do some homewaork, go to the wierdest section of any record shop, the most "alien" to what you usually listen to, purchase, borrow or listen to an album at least 3 times and give an opinion of it

I bet we could have a really interesting debate!

:)

So just because they are not played on radio they don't deserve to win? I don't get it?

But cue the media bandwagon now, they'll be promoted to **** and be the biggest band in England come the end of the year, well, so you'll be led to believe.

Exactly, just because there not played people think Oh this band no good, when they havn't even heard a song of theres in full, I'll say myself I havn't heard much from this band but i've heard abit, I'm not sure on the band I do think there weird but prehaps in a good way, I may even take a gamble on there album but i'll have to hear more stuff, I ain't just gonna buy the album because there Mercury Music winners, I do like "Today I am a buoy" but its not enough yet need to hear more, When the song was played on Jo Whiley's show today (Who to be fair she tipped this band to win and she has been playing there music for a few weeks) everyone at work was saying "what this shit" maybe that is there honest opinion I don't know but if someone like the Kaiser Cheifs (Who I do like) played there songs i'm sure alot more people whould have heard this song and i'm sure plenty more people would love the music! :rolleyes:

To be fair I respect the Marcury Music Awards as they geunuinly pick the album they like best. Last year franz Ferdinand won despite being a pop band and media darlings. If they were really worried about comign acorss as 'daring' they wouldn't have nominated Coldplay. (they shouldn't have done anyway because it is not an innovative or interesting album).

I also get the impression A&TJ are an albums band. A lot of people seem to be saying if you listen tot the album repeatedly it is rewarding. As the award is for best album not for most resonating singles this is fair enough. I haven't heard the album so I can't really comment although I thought his performance was really good.

Before the awards I thought someone like your Kaisers, Coldplay, KT Tunstall e.t.c would win but then it dawned on my while I was watching the live programme last night if it was the fans vot or choice it would be someone similar to those artists but what you have to remember is this is a critics choice on the winner. The idea of the Mercury Awards are to pick the album of the year but the Mercury's are also to promote new music, the best new music album.

I think you are too pre-occupied with 'hype' and the media.

I don't think A&TJ had anything to do with the judges wanting to push forward a new band or to look like they are against the mainstream. They are simply concerned with what, in their opinion, was the best and most innovative British album of the past 12 months.

Personally I think the music world would be a lot simpler if everyone took this simple minset into listening to music. Quality is infanetely mor eimportant than anything else. Who cares if the masses love a band, if they are good then they deserve it.

People can say I am a sheep blah blah blah I don't care, it always comes from the same music snobs on here. I'm not critisising the guys music (although the song being played on the radio at present is shocking). I thought his performance last night was really good. I am just having a go at these awards inparticular.

People can say the judges are just choosing the album they like, that maybe true. But I personally feel they choose the "unknowns" and "controversials" to get more press. If they choose a Coldplay or a Kaisers every year they would not get the press they are getting for choosing an unknown.

I mean are you telling me the best 10 albums in the last 10 years are as follows...

Anothony and the Johnsons

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da corner

Ms Dynamite - A Little Deeper

PJ Harvey - SFTC, SFTS

Badly Drawn boy - THOBB

Talvin Singh - OK

Gomez - Bring it on

Roni Size - represent

Pulp - Different Class

All good albums i'm sure but if they are the best their has been then i'll eat my hat.

Archived