Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Electronic Drum Kits

I'm preparing for life without a ST unless we go up this season!

I used to drum, I had a half decent Premier kit with middle of the range Sabian cymbals. 'back in the day' when I was drumming these electronic kits were just coming in and sold for about £1k upwards. A quick glimpse online now shows some at about £300!

Whicy sort of make should I be looking at? What's the average price to pay for one nowadays?

I don't want a standard kit now I'm in a mid terrace. The neighbours wouldn't be that happy

Roland tend to make the best electric kits and if you want to get the best kit for that sort of price a second hand Roland kit is the best option IMO. Yamaha do some good ones too I am told and I think Alesis are okay too. But honestly Roland are without a doubt the leaders of the electronic drum kit market, I have one in my room, it is awesome!

Here's a couple of links that might help a bit, quite a good website for reviews etc. I think the first one is a couple of years old but should give you a good idea.

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/drums/electronic-drum-kits-6-best-beginner-sets-in-the-world-today-177956/1 - cheaper kits I think

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/drums/7-best-electronic-drum-kits-in-the-world-today-200148 - setting the benchmark for the best, probably most expensive kits!

A really important thing to consider is what you want it to feel like when you hit it, there are pretty much two options, the cheaper rubber heads or mesh heads. Mesh heads are fantastic and bounce and feel very much like a reel skin, albeit smaller (you'll learn to aim better!). I would recommend at least getting a kit with a mesh snare head.

Hope this helps!

Loyal Supporters :unsure:

I so want to +1 you and I can't. :(

Last night was a big nail in the coffin. Not down to performance just the utterly wank atmosphere currently in l block. I felt justified in having a ST there when the atmosphere was good. Being in l block and getting away priority were the only reasons I've been a STH. Getting away tickets will never be a problem for me and l block currently has no benefits.

Financially I'm struggling too and the missis goes without due to my love of city.

Thanks for those links mate. Do all kits regardless of manufacturer come with the same range and diversity of sounds/effects?

No problem. I'm not too sure about this (I recently took up drums, not my first instrument, but I am a full time musician and music technologist.) Generally these kits are pretty diverse though. For example the one I have (Roland TD 11 KV) has abut 23 preset kits loaded onto the computer thing but has room for, I think, up to 100 as you can make your own and download new kits from the web. I would imagine that most kits have this sort of amount of sounds and with the option of downloading more.

If you find a kit that interests you, get the name and google it, there are loads of forums/websites with reviews and info. Don't take everything people say as gospel (goes without saying) but you can get a general consensus at least by reading around. Music shops can be really helpful too and not all of them expect you to go there and buy something, much of the time they are just happy to give you some advice and then maybe you will buy some sticks from them sometime!

Last night was a big nail in the coffin. Not down to performance just the utterly wank atmosphere currently in l block. I felt justified in having a ST there when the atmosphere was good. Being in l block and getting away priority were the only reasons I've been a STH. Getting away tickets will never be a problem for me and l block currently has no benefits.

Financially I'm struggling too and the missis goes without due to my love of city.

perhaps you could get her a bit on the side?

Archived