Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mack

Colin W*nker

It's not. Why would we be impressed by his promotions from League Two 15-25 years ago when we want to get out of this division?

He's won three promotions from this level, spread over a long time, mixed in with plenty of mediocrity (similar to the last few seasons) and has been a complete failure in the top division. He doesn't guarantee anything, apart from time-wasting, slagging off officials, ignoring his own deficiencies and blaming all but himself for every wrong that's happened to him.

He's not the Messiah he's made out to be.

Of course it's factually incorrect. A statement was made which is demonstrably wrong. There's no debate about that. I didn't say that anybody should be impressed by promotion from the fourth tier; only that he'd managed them. Any inference from that is your own.

Who says he is a messiah? Who said he guarantees anything? All I have said is that he is better at this level is better than that of our current manager. It is.

Of course it's factually incorrect. A statement was made which is demonstrably wrong. There's no debate about that. I didn't say that anybody should be impressed by promotion from the fourth tier; only that he'd managed them. Any inference from that is your own.

Who says he is a messiah? Who said he guarantees anything? All I have said is that he is better at this level is better than that of our current manager. It is.

Ok, it was factually incorrect looking back on the amount of promotions won, I was more interested in the relevant ones to us, and it doesn't prove he's wonderful and an expert at anything, as has been discussed by some in this thread.

Ok, it was factually incorrect looking back on the amount of promotions won, I was more interested in the relevant ones to us, and it doesn't prove he's wonderful and an expert at anything, as has been discussed by some in this thread.

It's still 2 in 8 years. I absolutely don't want him .... but the facts are the facts.

I dont see how anyone can build a valid Football argument against him.

He's also one of those that you hate when he is your opponent and love when he is on your side.

Some of our players needed a Warnock roasting lately, to me he has the experience, the know how and the ability.

The only others I'd entertain over him would be Di Matteo and Curbishley.

I dont see how anyone can build a valid Football argument against him.

He's also one of those that you hate when he is your opponent and love when he is on your side.

Some of our players needed a Warnock roasting lately, to me he has the experience, the know how and the ability.

The only others I'd entertain over him would be Di Matteo and Curbishley.

Bilo did.

Was that where he said he had won 3 promotions when he has won 7?

At this level. I know "he's not been at this level his whole career" but there's a reason for that. If he was a better manager he'd have spent more time at this level.

He's far from the worst name that's been suggested but not an improvement imo.

How the hell are 20 year old promotions from the lower divisions relevant to our situation?

You might as well suggest John Beck because he got back-to-back promotions with Cambridge in the early 90s.

I've answered it too, took him long enough and wasted enough money and bottled enough times at Sheffield United. His promotion took long enough. If I remember rightly, and I am happy to be corrected, he inherited a positively team busting with skills all ready for him to take them to the Prem. Oh and inbetween all this did a shite job at Palace. Ask the Palace fans what they think of lovely Colin.

At this level. I know "he's not been at this level his whole career" but there's a reason for that. If he was a better manager he'd have spent more time at this level.

He's far from the worst name that's been suggested but not an improvement imo.

The reason for that is that he started his career at a lower level. He hasn't managed below the second tier since 1998. He may not be an improvement in your opinion but the evidence says different. The last time he managed a club with any sort of backing he won the league at a canter.

I understand why people don't like the bloke. And the argument that he isn't good enough for the level above is fine. But we aren't at the level above and it's arguable that, other than Mick McCarthy, there hasn't been a man more consistently successful at this level for a generation.

I've answered it too, took him long enough and wasted enough money and bottled enough times at Sheffield United. His promotion took long enough. If I remember rightly, and I am happy to be corrected, he inherited a positively team busting with skills all ready for him to take them to the Prem. Oh and inbetween all this did a shite job at Palace. Ask the Palace fans what they think of lovely Colin.

Palarse fans have the hump because he walked out on them to take the dig dough at QPR.

I'd like to add he took Sheff Utd to two cup semi finals within his first couple of seasons there, and a play off final.

He got that slightly wrong, though the 3 promotions he talked about were most relevant to us.

It took him 7 years to "piss the league", as you said, with Sheffield United. He took Palace back to mid-table (when a clown like Dowie took them up), he was awful at Leeds, did well at QPR and his other promotion, with Notts County, was 22 years ago.

The reason for that is that he started his career at a lower level. He hasn't managed below the second tier since 1998. He may not be an improvement in your opinion but the evidence says different. The last time he managed a club with any sort of backing he won the league at a canter.

I understand why people don't like the bloke. And the argument that he isn't good enough for the level above is fine. But we aren't at the level above and it's arguable that, other than Mick McCarthy, there hasn't been a man more consistently successful at this level for a generation.

Come on now Neil, relentless self promotion will NOT endear you to a lot of Leicester fans!

Mick McCarthy has done a great job wherever he's been. Look at the job he's done at Ipswich - bet Wolves fans wish they'd kept and not got on his back! He who laughs last............

Warnock would do a good job - I think he'd jump at the chance to help City out one way or another.

He got that slightly wrong, though the 3 promotions he talked about were most relevant to us.

It took him 7 years to "piss the league", as you said, with Sheffield United. He took Palace back to mid-table (when a clown like Dowie took them up), he was awful at Leeds, did well at QPR and his other promotion, with Notts County, was 22 years ago.

Joined Sheff Utd in December 1999.

Got them promoted in the 2005/06 season.

I think that is 5 seasons?

Amongst them were also some cup semi finals and play off near misses, it was hardly a disaster.

As I've said before it's a personal not footballing issue for most people.

He got Palace in the top six from a lower midtable position at about the same time as we appointed Holloway. Until this season they hasn't come close since. Granted he took a long time to get Sheffield United up but they'd have got rid if they weren't happy wouldn't they? He certainly didn't spend loads with them because they had sod all to spend. As well as the promotion he took them to FA Cup and League Cup semi finals and a play off final. His spell there is the exception anyway. His two other promotions from this level were after his first full season in charge. Which is far in advance of what the current manager has managed.

Joined Sheff Utd in December 1999.

Got them promoted in the 2005/06 season.

I think that is 5 seasons?

Amongst them were also some cup semi finals and play off near misses, it was hardly a disaster.

As I've said before it's a personal not footballing issue for most people.

1999-2006 is 7 years, isn't it? One play-off and a second place is hardly the most incredible job, and a play-off near miss is no better than Pearson right now.

He's won as many promotions, from this level, in the last 15 years as Paul Jewell, Gary Megson and Mick McCarthy. They are not the saviour and neither is he.

He got Palace in the top six from a lower midtable position at about the same time as we appointed Holloway. Until this season they hasn't come close since. Granted he took a long time to get Sheffield United up but they'd have got rid if they weren't happy wouldn't they? He certainly didn't spend loads with them because they had sod all to spend. As well as the promotion he took them to FA Cup and League Cup semi finals and a play off final. His spell there is the exception anyway. His two other promotions from this level were after his first full season in charge. Which is far in advance of what the current manager has managed.

I live in Sheffield during the Warnock era, and he had plenty to spend and to waste over those years. Okay they didn't have multi-millionaire at the helm of their club, but he spent and bottled plenty of playoffs along the way before his glittering Premiership year with the Blades. How great they were too.

I don't really care for Warnock, his miserable blame everyone but yourself or your team attitude stinks in every one of his post-match interviews, especially when the team has been trained to cheat, are overly aggressive bullies, with little of the footballing we've spent the last few years trying to emulate, and move forward. I don't want us to go backwards with that muppet leading out team. A very BIG no from me.

Play off finals of no use to you then?

Not if you lose them, no.

You say 'only' five years but if you're happy to wait till 2018 for Premiership football, which would be the longest time outside the top tier we've spent since changing from Fosse to City in the early 1920s, I can guarantee the Thais wouldn't be. I doubt they'd even still be here if it took that long.

Archived