Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mack

Colin W*nker

Apart from it being factually incorrect, you mean?

What's factually incorrect about it?

He's had three promotions to the top flight with Notts County (1991), Sheffield United (2006), and QPR (2011).

Notts County were relegated in 1992, Sheffield United were relegated in 2007 and he was sacked from QPR with them in real relegation trouble.

He spent heavily in the Premiership with QPR on players like Joey Barton, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Anton Ferdinand. His spending policy is part of the reason QPR are shitting themselves about the consequences of relegation.

Basically, imagine Sven with worse football.

I don't want him .... but it does annoy me when people make stats up like "he's only been promoted 3 times in 30 years" or in another thread only twice.

Here's his record just so facts can get in the way of the argument .....

Promotions

I don't want him .... but it does annoy me when people make stats up like "he's only been promoted 3 times in 30 years" or in another thread only twice.

Here's his record just so facts can get in the way of the argument .....

Promotions

Only 2 Championship to Premiership though bud! That's the key point surely?

Twice in the last 7 years though!!!

Hey don't get me wrong - i don't want him .... I just don't agree with the feeling that anyone that does is a muppet that some are saying.

He's had three promotions to the top flight with Notts County (1991), Sheffield United (2006), and QPR (2011).

Notts County were relegated in 1992, Sheffield United were relegated in 2007 and he was sacked from QPR with them in real relegation trouble.

He spent heavily in the Premiership with QPR on players like Joey Barton, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Anton Ferdinand. His spending policy is part of the reason QPR are shitting themselves about the consequences of relegation.

My sentiments too Bilo, personally can't stand him and I think he's very overrated!

Twice in the last 7 years though!!!

Hey don't get me wrong - i don't want him .... I just don't agree with the feeling that anyone that does is a muppet that some are saying.

Other names banded about are far more appealing to me Waller, my personal opinion is he is vastly overrated!

Yes it is.

If we seriously suggested anyone else because they got promoted to the fourth tier 25 years ago, we'd be laughed off the thread.

People are just blinded by Warnock's media profile because the press know he's good for a sound bite.

in the past 13 years, he's had 11 Championship seasons with two promotions. He's had a season and a half in the Premiership with one instant relegation and a P45. That, by any measure, is decidedly average.

You didn't say from this level in your quote. You said three promotions in thirty years. It's seven in twenty six which is a bloody good record. Moaning that he has only managed three promotions from this level in his career is disingenous anyway. He hasn't spent his entire career at this level.

Yes it is.

If we seriously suggested anyone else because they got promoted to the fourth tier 25 years ago, we'd be laughed off the thread.

People are just blinded by Warnock's media profile because the press know he's good for a sound bite.

in the past 13 years, he's had 11 Championship seasons with two promotions. He's had a season and a half in the Premiership with one instant relegation and a P45. That, by any measure, is decidedly average.

Patronising bullshit. I'm suggesting him because he is an obvious upgrade on the current incumbent. His media profile has nothing to do with it. It's his record I'm interested in. Two promotions in eleven years isn't average in any case. Managers don't tend to rack up multiple promotions in that amount of time. You'll find that that record is actually far superior to the vast majority of managers at this level.

You didn't say from this level in your quote. You said three promotions in thirty years. It's seven in twenty six which is a bloody good record. Moaning that he has only managed three promotions from this level in his career is disingenous anyway. He hasn't spent his entire career at this level.

Why do you think that is?

He was a classic lower league manager who overachieved in the mid 1990s and got the gig at his boyhood club. He was loved by the fans as a Blade and got close to promotion regularly enough to keep his choice for seven years. Kevin McCabe made sure he wasn't exactly short of funds either.

They got promoted, his side was woefully underequipped for the rigours of the Premiership, and he resigned in a huff because of Tevezgate. He had three years at Crystal Palace, where he got the job due to being mates with the chairman, and walked because the financial situation meant he had nothing to spend. He did manage to achieve one play-off finish though, so every cloud.

He then went to QPR where he managed to get them promoted, thanks largely to Adel Taarabt, before showing the footballing world what it already knew: Neil Warnock is not cut out for the top flight.

Even if you find this modest history impressive, his last gig at Leeds must surely put you off. He presided over Leeds' worst home defeat in their history, a 7-3 battering by Forest, and left with them closer to relegation than the play-offs.

Ultimately, I want a manager who can get us promoted without breaking the bank and keep us there playing half decent football. Neil Warnock isn't that man. Before you say that man doesn't exist, take a look at West Brom and Swansea. That's where I want this club to be in five years, not scrapping at the bottom of the Premiership with the club's existence at stake due to rampant overspending.

Patronising bullshit. I'm suggesting him because he is an obvious upgrade on the current incumbent. His media profile has nothing to do with it. It's his record I'm interested in. Two promotions in eleven years isn't average in any case. Managers don't tend to rack up multiple promotions in that amount of time. You'll find that that record is actually far superior to the vast majority of managers at this level.

So you'll be happy to wait 5-6 years for a promotion then?

That you Neil ?

So you'll be happy to wait 5-6 years for a promotion then?

Two of his threee promotions from this level have come at the end of his first full season with the respective clubs.

The bloke wouldn't even be my first choice. I just think he is better than the current incumbent who, you'll note, has spent millions at this level and has never won promotion from it.

I'd be cool with this. Sooner a scrapper like Warnock than a show-pony like Hughes or Keane. Suspect the board may not agree with that summary, though.

I'd rather the actual Mrs Doubtfire than either of those two. Especially Roy Keane.

Two of his threee promotions from this level have come at the end of his first full season with the respective clubs.

The bloke wouldn't even be my first choice. I just think he is better than the current incumbent who, you'll note, has spent millions at this level and has never won promotion from it.

Pearson spent next to nothing when we first got back to the Championship and has been in the process of cutting down the wage bill ever since he returned.

If there's one thing you can't criticise him for it's rash spending, especially compared to his predecessor.

Pearson spent next to nothing when we first got back to the Championship and has been in the process of cutting down the wage bill ever since he returned.

If there's one thing you can't criticise him for it's rash spending, especially compared to his predecessor.

I wouldn't blame any manager for rash spending. It is always the fault of the people who sign the cheques. I think Pearson's achievements in cutting the wage bill are overrated. He has shipped a couple of players out on loan. Which means we're getting less for our money as we're paying them to add value to another club. There has been no mass exodus of highly paid players. Ad he has brought plenty in. They don't pay for a pittance. And they have cost in excess of £10m.

Didn't have much money at Leeds, under Bates he was selling off the silver.

Pissed this league with Sheff Utd and QPR.

Pissed what league with Sheffield Utd?

How many years did he fail to do anything with Sheffield United? Let's call it a lot, and during that time he spent a fair amount doing so. Yes he got promotion, but the same thing could be said about Cardiff, it would happen eventually, or ourselves for that matter.

The man plays ugly football. He encourages thuggery and cheating, and whilst that is frustrating to play against, it's not the kind of football we've been trying to form here from the roots up. It would be a step backwards, many steps backwards in fact.

Apart from it being factually incorrect, you mean?

It's not. Why would we be impressed by his promotions from League Two 15-25 years ago when we want to get out of this division?

He's won three promotions from this level, spread over a long time, mixed in with plenty of mediocrity (similar to the last few seasons) and has been a complete failure in the top division. He doesn't guarantee anything, apart from time-wasting, slagging off officials, ignoring his own deficiencies and blaming all but himself for every wrong that's happened to him.

He's not the Messiah he's made out to be.

Archived