Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Train For Boro

I speak to a lad on Twitter who's a Middlesbrough fan. Lives in Sheffield as well so I bet he knows a cheap way from there - and when I went to Sheff Weds last year I got there and back for under a tenner by buying tickets from Leicester to Derby, they didn't check between Derby & Sheffield and if they did I'd have bought singles, because ridiculously a Leicester to Sheffield return would've been £25, yet Leicester to Derby return and Derby to Sheffield returns both came in at about a tenner each, makes no sense to me.

Will ask him. There'll be a way.

I speak to a lad on Twitter who's a Middlesbrough fan. Lives in Sheffield as well so I bet he knows a cheap way from there - and when I went to Sheff Weds last year I got there and back for under a tenner by buying tickets from Leicester to Derby, they didn't check between Derby & Sheffield and if they did I'd have bought singles, because ridiculously a Leicester to Sheffield return would've been £25, yet Leicester to Derby return and Derby to Sheffield returns both came in at about a tenner each, makes no sense to me.

Will ask him. There'll be a way.

Cheers Dan, let me know!

Megabus is very good but for trains you can only do Leicester to London.

Do you have a railcard?

My Boro mate reckons he can do it £25 return, I assume he has a railcard. So add that to £14 return from Sheffield with a railcard (or £7 if you're cheeky) and it's about £40. Best I can find so far.

Megabus is very good but for trains you can only do Leicester to London.

Do you have a railcard?

My Boro mate reckons he can do it £25 return, I assume he has a railcard. So add that to £14 return from Sheffield with a railcard (or £7 if you're cheeky) and it's about £40. Best I can find so far.

Ahh, wasn't sure.

Still a massive saving Dan.

I remember most times could get home for free. Harrogate to Leeds, then Leeds to Derby. I must've saves a fortune on fares. Theyre a lot stricter now though

Oh, no, no railcard

They are I've noticed. Best thing with living where I do is being able to get a quick train to Leicester where I often don't get charged, so I can effectively jump Leicester's barriers. Got to Forest 3/4 times for free now.

With a railcard, you can usually get a train from Leicester to York for around £15 at set times. Then anytime return from York to Boro for £8

I swear prices for our trains are fvcking awful compared to literally anywhere else. York to Middlesbrough for £8? That's less than Nuneaton to Narborough lol

What kind of times though? I'd strongly tempt doing that.

I swear prices for our trains are fvcking awful compared to literally anywhere else.

I had a word with a conductor about this the other year, for me to get a return to Notts was £7, I asked how much more for a Lincoln return he said another £2. From Sileby.

I asked how they worked the fares out he said it could be because Leicester runs on a mainline. That's the Ivanhoe train that goes from Leics to Lincoln. For me to get into Leicester though its still cheaper than the bus, and quicker.

I swear prices for our trains are fvcking awful compared to literally anywhere else. York to Middlesbrough for £8? That's less than Nuneaton to Narborough lol

What kind of times though? I'd strongly tempt doing that.

it's quite frequent, twice an hour maybe. It's on a shit line that's why it's so cheap. Only takes an hour or less though

Archived