Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Fans To Vote For All-Time Greats

unfortunately these are skewed by  the age of the voters.

how many will vote for sep  smith or puffer riley for example.

how many went to games before the 1980's when you could squeeze 30k or 40k plus into filbo on the odd occasion.

In my lifetime...

·    Best Manager   Martin O'Neill

·    Best Player      Muzzy Izzet

·    Best Season    1996-97 

·    Best Captain    Steve Walsh

·    Fans Favourite Matt Elliott

·    Best Game      Palace, Spider, and Claridge's injury time shinner.

Best Manager - Pearson

Best Player - Pearson

Best Season - Dead heat between 2008/09, 2009/10 and 2012/13

Best Captain - Pearson

Fans Favourite - Pearson

Best Game - Forest 2 Leicester 3, or the 97 League Cup Finals cos Pearson was there

#PearsonBummersOfTheWorldUnite

#PearsonTheMessiah

#BiggerThanTheClub

#GreatTrainers

#PearsonLiterallyAboveAnyCriticism

Is this meant to be funny or am I missing something?

unfortunately these are skewed by  the age of the voters.

how many will vote for sep  smith or puffer riley for example.

how many went to games before the 1980's when you could squeeze 30k or 40k plus into filbo on the odd occasion.

It's hard to compare different eras either way. You could argue that Arthur Chandler was our best player of all time, for scoring the most amount of goals for us, but that was at a time when the overall standard of play was a lot worse than it is today, and high scoring matches were far more common than they are now. So at the same time you could argue that skewed voting in favour of the modern era would actually make sense...

It's hard to compare different eras either way. You could argue that Arthur Chandler was our best player of all time, for scoring the most amount of goals for us, but that was at a time when the overall standard of play was a lot worse than it is today, and high scoring matches were far more common than they are now. So at the same time you could argue that skewed voting in favour of the modern era would actually make sense...

I'm not convinced the standard of play is better today than anytime before, maybe it's faster and players are fitter but the over all skills aren't better. Certainly the football I watched in the 60s especially when you consider the state of the pitches, the balls and the boots

has not been bettered skill wise.

Players can demonstrate their skills better on today's pitches but you can't convince me that the players of the past would not have benefited equally.

The football was also considerably more exciting, atmospheric, honest and all about the game not the money.

I've not seen a more skillful player than Davie Gibson pull on a Leicester shirt in all my time watching them.

I'm not convinced the standard of play is better today than anytime before, maybe it's faster and players are fitter but the over all skills aren't better. Certainly the football I watched in the 60s especially when you consider the state of the pitches, the balls and the boots

has not been bettered skill wise.

Players can demonstrate their skills better on today's pitches but you can't convince me that the players of the past would not have benefited equally.

The football was also considerably more exciting, atmospheric, honest and all about the game not the money.

I've not seen a more skillful player than Davie Gibson pull on a Leicester shirt in all my time watching them.

I'm not going to argue the point (too much :P ) as obviously you have more first hand experience than I do, but that could be a result of seeing it how you remember it - i.e. in relative terms. I can only go by old footage of matches, but even as recently as 20 years ago, you can see the difference in style of play to how it is today. Play in general just seems to be a lot sloppier and more laboured, but maybe that's just me.

You may be right - put someone from the 1960s on one of today's pitches with all of today's equipment and physical training and they may well be as good as today's players, but unfortunately we don't have the means to test that!

I'm not going to argue the point (too much :P ) as obviously you have more first hand experience than I do, but that could be a result of seeing it how you remember it - i.e. in relative terms. I can only go by old footage of matches, but even as recently as 20 years ago, you can see the difference in style of play to how it is today. Play in general just seems to be a lot sloppier and more laboured, but maybe that's just me.

You may be right - put someone from the 1960s on one of today's pitches with all of today's equipment and physical training and they may well be as good as today's players, but unfortunately we don't have the means to test that!

Football quality in England did go downhill in 80s due to the Wimbledon 'effect' Their style of play was advocated by the FAs top coaches following a study which seemed to indicate that getting the ball to your front men asap was the best way to get goals.

In many ways that's still today's approach only ow it's done with Olympic quality sprinting wingers that often lack the skills of wingers from previous eras.

Best Manager   Matt Gilles

·    Best Player      Gordon Banks

·    Best Season    1928=29

·    Best Captain    David Nish

·    Fans Favourite Frank Worthington

·    Best Game      Leicester 5-0 Cambridge

I would go along with this 100% However, how can we  compare a goalkeeper with an outfield player, so I will add one on.

Best outfield player--Davie Gibson.

Archived