Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Des.

Guitar

I've been interested for a while in learning to play an Electric Guitar, I just wondered if there was anyone here who played and had any tips. Preferably a good beginners guitar to start with, brand or whatever.

I dont play particularly well, (well, i can kind of cobble together a song made of power chords like Nirvana songs and i can noodle around playing Red Hot Chili Peppers and a few metal rhythm sections), but a mate of mine is excellent and plays a lot of genres but mostly metal. Squier Strat's are in laymans terms a cheap version of a Fender Stratocaster. Depending on what music youre intending on learning, you might look at certain manufacturers for the tone. ESP's are quite popular in metal for example.

Then the best thing would be have a teacher and have him guide your improvement with various excersises. You can get tablatures off the internet to play covers of songs to practice with at home too.

I dont play particularly well, (well, i can kind of cobble together a song made of power chords like Nirvana songs and i can noodle around playing Red Hot Chili Peppers and a few metal rhythm sections), but a mate of mine is excellent and plays a lot of genres but mostly metal. Squier Strat's are in laymans terms a cheap version of a Fender Stratocaster. Depending on what music youre intending on learning, you might look at certain manufacturers for the tone. ESP's are quite popular in metal for example.

Then the best thing would be have a teacher and have him guide your improvement with various excersises. You can get tablatures off the internet to play covers of songs to practice with at home too.

I appreciate the detailed answer, I am an extreme novice when it comes to instruments but I do know a few bits and pieces. I have been looking at ESP's, as you stated. A lot of my interests in terms of music are around metal, rock and so on, hence why they are such a big factor in me wanting to learn how to play. I know its not an over night thing.

Been playing for about a year now and I really enjoy it, im not that good yet but i am improving, it seems to be a slow process with me.have a Gibson Sg electric and a fender accoustic. I use justinguitar books and online lessons but the most fun I have is with Rocksmith 2014, highly recomend it.

As you are just learning don't bother spending a lot of money straight away, you might not like it, not stick to it, not pick it up easily etc...

I would say pick up a Squire Strat second hand on ebay, you should be able to bag one in the region of £40-£60 at a guess. They are great beginners guitars.

To start with you don't even HAVE to get yourself an amp, you can learn and practise without one, and if you do go for lessons, your teacher will most likely have an amp for students to use. When the time comes, pick up a 30watt combo again, second hand if you can find one.

If in two years you are still playing, loving it and getting better, then its worth spending as much money as you can afford on the gear of your dreams :)

Personally I'd avoid internet tablature, particularly as a beginner because the general standard is woefully poor and until you know what you're doing you can spend forever trying to play something that will never sound right because it's wrong to begin with.

The standard in published books isn't always that brilliant either, which is depressing when you think how much they cost - usually a lot more than buying the CD or whatever.

Get a decent tutor and learn to play by ear would be my tip, and practice, practice, practice.  Also, start out with something easy - unless you actively hate them, Oasis tab books are great (Definitely Maybe is very accurate) because in the grand scheme of things none of it is that hard.  I've known too many people that have bought a guitar and a Jimi Hendrix book and they end up in the loft even quicker than your Dad's exercise bike/rowing machine/aquarium/fondue set

All fair points, there's a place in Leicester called Intasound that sells all kinds of musical equipment. They let you play the instruments too, I might take a trip down there and see what they have to offer.

Yeah as said don't blow loads on your first guitar. Something like a Yamaha Pacifica or Squire Strat would do the job.

I've been playing for 20 years now and have an Fender American Deluxe Strat and Jaguar, Gretsch and a Takamine. The strat is my fave at the moment (as it's still basically brand new to me having had it for 4 months)

If you want a cheap practice amp though the Orange Micro Crush is decent. Saves me lugging about my Marshall 8080 and for 35 quid it does a decent job for a 3 watt amp.

Bellend raises some good points. Figure out some songs you want to learn when you go to a tutor, it keeps you interested.

In fact I know a very, very good tutor if you are interested PM me

Archived