Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Players today- they just don't care

I've said it before, and I'm saying it again.  To a professional footballer, it is just a job.  We are fans, and we would willingly play for the club for free.  You can't expect us both to feel the same way about the club.

If you asked me what profit the company I work for made last year, I think Id struggle to guesstimate what it was, so that would make me an unloyal employee? ;)

156515[/snapback]

But do you care about the company you work for?

I know there are former footballers who still come to the Walkers and watch matches 40 years and more after they were playing.

Only this morning I took a nostalgic tour around an area which was once the ground where I made my debut in the semi-pro Midland League as a 16-year-old.

The club has gone, the ground has gone but I can still remember the players like yesterday and we all cared. In fact, when the arthritis sets in and the knees have gone and the body won't move its the comeraderie, not the money, you remember.

Most players love football and the longer they remain at a club the closer it becomes to the heart for most. Look at Walshie. He would have loved to manage Leicester.

Money is just the gauge by which players measure their success. If there was no money many pro's would still play.

But do you care about the company you work for?

156553[/snapback]

Honestly?

No.

There are people here who live for the company, but I'm not one of them. I would guess that football clubs are the same. Most players are happy enough to be playing, and are more than happy with the remuneration, but whilst there is some personal pride in winning, I wouldn't be surprised if most players don't give two hoots about their employers or the fans. It is hard for fans to get their heads around this because we would pay to play for our clubs, let alone earn enough to retire at 35!

I think your clutching at straws here Davie. Next your be telling me, Levein is arrogant because he leaves the toilet seat up in the uni-sex toilets.

Perhaps Gudjonsson doesn't care about the club, but his performances would suggest otherwise this season. He's been all action and fairly effective, if he continues to get quiz questions wrong about Leicester but plays like he is doing then i'll be pretty content with him, likewise with other the players.

I was more shocked with the one in today's program, Paddy knowing how many sides a dodecahedron has :o

156425[/snapback]

Brilliant question!!!! 12 isn't it???

More to the point though, it doesn’t really matter that much to tell the truth. You can't question Joey's loyalty to Leicester based on the fact he doesn't know where we finished in the Championship last season.

However it is a fact that most footballers play for money. Many retire from the professional game between 30-35, so they like to earn as much as possible whilst they can.

As loyal to Leicester as we are, if someone offered you double your annual wage and offered you a longer contract, you'd seriously consider the move would you not?

Archived