Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

CL Speaks -

It seems to me that we either need further back up or we don't. I can't see that the outcome of this weekends games, injury wise should affect things, we could get 3 injuries or more in the next game.

receives an offer that the club just cannot turn down
Should start the Connolly rumours going again. :(

CITY BOSS IS POISED FOR EMERGENCY PLAN

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

BY ANDY MANN

10:30 - 26 August 2005

Craig Levein is ready to move in the transfer market should he suffer injury problems over the gruelling Bank Holiday weekend.

The City boss has drawn up a short-list of potential targets in case he loses more players to injury, or receives an offer that the club just cannot turn down

His experience of the transfer window system in Scotland has caused Levein to draw up the list as an insurance against eventualities.

City face two Championship clashes in 48 hours, starting a home game against Luton tomorrow.

That is followed by a trip to Hull on Monday, which will be City's fourth game in nine days.

Such is the physical nature of Championship football and the gruelling fixture schedule that injuries can only be expected.

But, with the transfer window due to close on August 31, Levein is aware that if an emergency arises he would have little time to bring in cover after the trip to Hull's KC Stadium.

As such, he has already identified players he feels would be able to provide cover if such a situation arises.

He said: "One of the things I have been conscious of doing is that, if anything happens on Saturday or Monday, I need to be able to move quickly.

"I have had a look at areas of the pitch and made some lists of players who might be available if we have some sort of emergency before the window shuts.

"Having worked through the transfer window in Scotland, I have realised the importance of having plans in place in case something comes up."

Mercury

The City boss has drawn up a short-list of potential targets in case he loses more players to injury, or receives an offer that the club just cannot turn down

163832[/snapback]

:o People are paranoid enough as it is!

Seems like he's being positive to me. I said previously he'd be an idiot not to have alternatives in mind should, say, Connolly be lured away. But, equally it would be daft for the club to jeopardise their chance of promotion by accepting less than what he's worth.

It's the sort of uncomfortable situation every football manager has to face. If CL can stay one thought ahead of the situations then he could yet achieve legendary status at City.

Seems to me though that city are at last moving themselves into a win-win situation. CL, above all things, has done four important things already.

He's got a team that's younger.

He's got a team that's faster.

He's got a team that defend's further upfield.

And he's constantly increasing the value of the squad. In other words, the club's assets.

Sooner or later every club can be forced to sell it's best players. The trick is to have a better player in the wings. Dario Grady seems to be a master of this and, for that reason, and the effect it has had on his club, I would rate him one of the very best managers in the UK.

Craig Levein shows every sign of being able to do the same.

Rordan looks like he does't fancy a move to the championship (albeit with Cardiff), so he might be out of the window if Conners leaves. Nugent may want to stay with Preston. The only thing I can see happening if Connolly leaves, is that we get someone from Scotland like Garry O'Conner, or someone from the lower leagues like Pawel Abbott. On the subject of Pawel Abbott, I'm also surprised that a championship club hasn't come in for him, what with him scoring 29 last season.

It will be a massive loss if Connolly leaves, but I think Wigan would have put a bid in for him before they put one in for Windass. He's going nowhere :D

i reckon wigan did make a bet of around 1.5 mil. CL must of rejected and said he wont settle for anything lower than say 2.5 mil. So then wigan look for other strikers (windass :huh: ). but if they dont find a striker soon then i bet wigan will up the ammount for conners.

Why does everyone think Wigan are at all interested in Connolly? At what point has Jewell, Connors, or Levein said anything bout it all?

There are hundreds of strikers, why does everyone presume its Connolly???????????????

Its beyond me

163921[/snapback]

Because it was in the People paper last weekend and also at the Press Association.

Ah the rumour mill, watch it go.. around and around and around.

Anyone else dizzy yet? :P

I would have been seriously suprised if Levein came out and told a paper there was no Plan B should we face a serious injury crisis, or a large tempting offer for a player.

Surely this is one of the basic elements of management - planning for the future. Any manager that doesn't think ahead with regards to injuries and players being sold must have a huge squad - 30+ senior players and a large wallet.

Levein simply has no choice but to think ahead, and plan for the future - our squad is simply too small, our finances not strong enough - facing an injury crisis is almost a certainty (I can imagine that over the Xmas period we'll pick up a few injuries that will leave us with few options all over the park)

All I can say is, well done Levein on not being a total dipstick :P

Oh and don't worry about Connolly, he aint going anywhere just yet.

By the way, did MA ever plan ahead?

I suppose in MA's days, if we had a serious injury crisis, we bring in some retired players :smile:

Archived