Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rain King

Second Hand Cars

What's better to get a petrol or diesel?

I'm looking at a BMW m sport 320i. I only do around 8000 miles a year just work & back mainly. I've currently got an Audi a3 s line which is diesel. But a couple of friends said I'd probably be best to get a petrol as I dont do enough mileage to warrant paying the extra for a diesel.

My experience of cars for what its worth:

I've had three Fords, not very reliable but otherwise OK; two Vauxhalls, low end performance and average reliability; a Renault that I loved but spent a fortune on (my wife had another one that was similar); and a Honda Civic which hasn't let me down (now eight years old). Top of the reliability charts is my eldest's Toyota Yaris, now ten years old, regularly serviced and never broke down.

I know a guy who works in a local car repair garage and he swears by (not at) Hondas and Toyotas. It's true that the parts can be expensive but if the car has been looked after hopefully you wouldn't need too many of them.

I've owned quite a few cars and I've only ever had issues with the Audi a3 I had. Spent more time back at the dealers being fixed than on my driveway. I stick with Merc diesels now and never have them for more than 3 years ( compant car) so it's something I just don't have to worry about.

Second hand Id be buying either a ford or a Toyota for slightly different reasons.

DJ Whyman on Aylestone Road is a reasonable dealer, bit pricey though. I got a Focus for £3000 from there 5 years ago, and it has served me well since. Might be worth a visit if you're around that area.

Ive had cars from Whyman's.

As you say, they ain't cheap, but they seem to sell good quality motors.

Glenn and the lads there are good blokes too.

Look on the website.

For 4500 I'd be looking at a Focus probably. For that money, you'd probably get an 07/08 plate I guess.

There are dozens of good options.

Ford Focus is your safest bet - lots about, relatively reliable, cheap and ubiquitous parts, good to drive, big boot etc.

If you're not doing mega miles, get a petrol one. The diesels are very good, but you will find that examples in your price range will have reached the age where EGR valves, dual mass flywheels and injectors might be starting to show their age.

Might be worth a trip to Available Car in Castle Donington. They have about 800 cars which are all left open and no salesmen hassle you.

Simply go there, have a shit in some cars and decide what you like but don't buy it from there (because, despite what they say, you'll get one much cheaper elsewhere). Then go home and search for that car on Auto Trader.

Archived