Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rain King

Second Hand Cars

My useless Renault Megane has now pretty much given in on me and I am in the market for a new vehicle. That being my first car I have little knowledge of other cars.

I have approximately £4500 to spend so I'm aware I'm not going to get top of the range but does anyone have any recommendations?

Reliability and family friendly (2 kids) are the two main points I am looking for.

Also anyone recommend anywhere in Leicester/Leicestershire to go to?

There are dozens of good options.

Ford Focus is your safest bet - lots about, relatively reliable, cheap and ubiquitous parts, good to drive, big boot etc.

If you're not doing mega miles, get a petrol one. The diesels are very good, but you will find that examples in your price range will have reached the age where EGR valves, dual mass flywheels and injectors might be starting to show their age.

Might be worth a trip to Available Car in Castle Donington. They have about 800 cars which are all left open and no salesmen hassle you.

Simply go there, have a sit in some cars and decide what you like but don't buy it from there (because, despite what they say, you'll get one much cheaper elsewhere). Then go home and search for that car on Auto Trader.

The problem with car advice is every make has sold a lemon to someone so you'll always get the advice of 'don't buy one of them'

As Bornblue says go to a big provider and sit in few to at least find out which ones actually meet your needs.

My daughter's just bought one from Motorpoint in Derby and seemed very pleased with them.

DJ Whyman on Aylestone Road is a reasonable dealer, bit pricey though. I got a Focus for £3000 from there 5 years ago, and it has served me well since. Might be worth a visit if you're around that area.

I can vouch for DJ Whyman, they are good honest blokes.

The problem with car advice is every make has sold a lemon to someone so you'll always get the advice of 'don't buy one of them'

As Bornblue says go to a big provider and sit in few to at least find out which ones actually meet your needs.

My daughter's just bought one from Motorpoint in Derby and seemed very pleased with them.

I'd second this recommendation. I bought my car from them about 18 months ago and it was a pleasant experience, hassle-free transaction and the car is good too!

Recently bought an 8 year old Corsa SXI with all the toys available 8 years ago. Cost me £150 which was a hell of a bargain im told.

****ing hell.  Bargain is an understatement.

I have no useful advice:  When I looked for a car here in Belgium I ended up taking out a loan to get a brand new car (Kia Picanto 5-door 1.2litre if anyone want to judge) because it really doesn't work out that much more expensive than buying an equivalent car second hand.  I understand the UK's got a much better used car market.

The problem with 2nd hand cars in the price range you're looking at is the majority of them will still have everything to go wrong on them which with cars is an inevitability.

If you look at vehicles between £500 and a £1000, they will usually last you a couple of years and you could probably sell on at not too much of a loss.

Buy for £3,500, over two years you'll probably spend £1,000 on repairs/service etc and then only be able to sell for £1000 or less so its not great economy.

Personally I lease vehicles. There are some great deals out there. Last time out I got a Nissan Qashqai for 2 years at £275 per month. Brand new so no MOT to think of, had the full maintenance package so no worries about servicing/tyres etc. If anything went wrong, I could just call them, they'd pick it up, drop me a replacement then bring it back when they were finished.

The only downside is you have restricted mileage. Mine was 15,000 a year so you need to be wary as the excess mileage charges can be high.

Every two years I get a new car and never have to worry about it.

Worth keeping an eye on eBay at listings that end at odd times (when bid wars are less likely to occur). Dad once got a VW Lupo with 20,000 miles for £2,000, when most of similar age/mileage were selling over £3,000. Can't really suggest models as I've only ever owned a Lupo (fantastic, low maintenance) and a Megane 1.5 DCI (worst thing that ever happened to me).

Missus has a Skoda Fabia which she bought private for £800, was a bit tatty but has used it daily for 2 years and has had no major problems at all, just loses a bit of coolant now and then

Buy for £3,500, over two years you'll probably spend £1,000 on repairs/service etc and then only be able to sell for £1000 or less so its not great economy.

That's more like a worst case scenario than a typical experience though. I've had three cars about six years old for that kind of price and never had to spend that much on repairs or suffered that much depreciation. For any £3.5k mainstream car to only be worth £1k two years later you'd have to have scratched penises into the paintwork or something, they don't usually depreciate anywhere near that fast. Look out for good deals from private sellers and it's not unknown to be able to sell for the same price you bought within two years.

That's more like a worst case scenario than a typical experience though. I've had three cars about six years old for that kind of price and never had to spend that much on repairs or suffered that much depreciation. For any £3.5k mainstream car to only be worth £1k two years later you'd have to have scratched penises into the paintwork or something, they don't usually depreciate anywhere near that fast. Look out for good deals from private sellers and it's not unknown to be able to sell for the same price you bought within two years.

No I've had that experience. My Megane was £3,500 (6 years old, good spec, 60,000 miles). Cost me £2,000 in repairs in a year, only drove 4,000 miles in that time. I advertised it everywhere and only sold for £2,300 after several price drops. It looked better than when I'd bought it, did a full valet and polish, all original parts, just no-one wanted it. If I was ever going to buy a used car again, I'd go either under £1,000 (so you can't possibly lose much money should the engine conk out straight away) or nearly new so it still has warranty. Buying out-of-warranty used cars is a gamble, especially if you buy right at the top of your budget

Sounds like an unlucky deal but still £3.5k to £2.3k isn't as bad as £3.5k to £1k. I don't know if meganes suffer particularly from depreciation at that age, there are some cars that do and some that don't.

Possibly a parts thing? French and Japanese cars always seem to be expensive parts wise.

The problem with 2nd hand cars in the price range you're looking at is the majority of them will still have everything to go wrong on them which with cars is an inevitability.

If you look at vehicles between £500 and a £1000, they will usually last you a couple of years and you could probably sell on at not too much of a loss.

Personally I lease vehicles. There are some great deals out there. Last time out I got a Nissan Qashqai for 2 years at £275 per month. Brand new so no MOT to think of, had the full maintenance package so no worries about servicing/tyres etc. If anything went wrong, I could just call them, they'd pick it up, drop me a replacement then bring it back when they were finished.

The only downside is you have restricted mileage. Mine was 15,000 a year so you need to be wary as the excess mileage charges can be high.

Every two years I get a new car and never have to worry about it.

Leases can be phenomenal value, because the amount you pay is dictated by residual value. Therefore thing like Beamers and Mercs can work out dirt cheap.

The main downside, and the reason I don't do it, is that you're effectively tied in for the full duration.

Leasing really isn't that great value.

Anything involving new cars isn't great value, depreciation of 30-50% the minute you drive the car out of the dealers means you are chucking money away buying the same car 3-6 months old is a far better idea.

Archived