Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Horse Racing

Piggott, fancy going a few race meetings this year? The big ones are obviously a right good buzz, but can get too packed and annoying. I much prefer a smaller meeting where you can get your bets on and enjoy a few beers.

Definitely. Where do you fancy? I had a really, really good time at Windsor once. I was really drunk. I think thats why I enjoyed it. Two of our rounds were free as well. I'll explain that some other time.

Hit me with some dates/meets and we'll definitely do it.

Definitely. Where do you fancy? I had a really, really good time at Windsor once. I was really drunk. I think thats why I enjoyed it. Two of our rounds were free as well. I'll explain that some other time.

Hit me with some dates/meets and we'll definitely do it.

Down south is obviously best for both of us. Sandown is a really enjoyable day out. I know a superb chinese near there too which we'll ransack with our winnings, Max Clifford was in there the last time I went. Imperial Cup is a decent doo. Windsor do a few quality evening meets as well don't they? Let's look at that for the summer.

Down south is obviously best for both of us. Sandown is a really enjoyable day out. I know a superb chinese near there too which we'll ransack with our winnings, Max Clifford was in there the last time I went. Imperial Cup is a decent doo. Windsor do a few quality evening meets as well don't they? Let's look at that for the summer.

Sandown is good yeah.

What I liked about Windsor was I got the train in and sat in a nice pub in the front beer garden and it was about 35 degrees and from there I waited for a boat. A BOAT. To take me to the racetrack.

Awesome.

Sandown is good yeah.

What I liked about Windsor was I got the train in and sat in a nice pub in the front beer garden and it was about 35 degrees and from there I waited for a boat. A BOAT. To take me to the racetrack.

Awesome.

This is on, we'll go when the flat season starts. Get mullered in the sun and win a load of Wedgie Kray.

Picked 6 horses today and did e/w doubles and trebles. 2 out of 2 have failed to place so far. Think I need to try and be a bit more technical and not just pick a bunch of slight outsiders because I like the odds and fancy their chances just from their name!

What kind of things should we look for? What does the 'form' section mean - 0374/7RF723 - or whatever it is.

Is weight important at all? Does weight change a horses chances in wet/dry weather etc.? Any tip or links on what to do when picking a horse appreciated.

Picked 6 horses today and did e/w doubles and trebles. 2 out of 2 have failed to place so far. Think I need to try and be a bit more technical and not just pick a bunch of slight outsiders because I like the odds and fancy their chances just from their name!

What kind of things should we look for? What does the 'form' section mean - 0374/7RF723 - or whatever it is.

Is weight important at all? Does weight change a horses chances in wet/dry weather etc.? Any tip or links on what to do when picking a horse appreciated.

Its not an exact science, but if you stick around in this thread, I'll try to put some of my thoughts in here. Everyone has a different methodology.

Part of it is getting your head around the variables once you see a horse is entered in a race. Ie type (flat, hurdles, fences, chase, NH etc), distance, prevailing weather, ground (going), jockey - and the horses' preferences.

Then you can consider things like form of jockey, form of horse, form of yard.

Sometimes pointers can be gleaned from a yard or jockeys' comments pre-race, sometimes from the distance a horse has been sent for a race or if a jockey travels to a course just to take one ride, sometimes market movement is a good indicator.

Form like you've described can be misleading as it doesn't at face value give you the distance or CLASS/grading (v important) of the race. A class V winner LTO is probably not going to beat a horse finishing second LTO to Frankel for example.

People have their own systems.

What works well for me is to pick a few horses or yards and follow them and try to learn what I can. I also keep my ear to the ground and am prepared to learn what I can where I can.

Two last things:

Luck

Motivation (ie is the horse and jockey there to win)

More on this another time.

The numbers in the form section refer to the place they finished in previous races. 0 means they were out with the washing, F means fell, R means refused, PU means pulled up. If they've got a load of 1s on there it might be one to watch :) I don't know how much you want to think about it but as said above, you might want to check the specifics of their previous races compared to the one they're about to run in.

If you pick huge odds all the while you're going to end up disappointed most of the time.

Weight is obviously somewhat of a handicap by it's nature, of course it depends on each specific race how significant it will be. I think if it's heavy ground races can be more of a slog so the weight might be more telling. Then again some horses prefer heavy ground.

I'm not the punter that some other people are on here so they're probably going to be more helpful :thumbup:

My dad used to do this for a living and he's tried numerous complicated methods of making money in the long term. But for someone like you, you may as well do what I do and pick something with a good name, colours that look like 'winning' and near the top end of the betting. :)

The numbers in the form section refer to the place they finished in previous races. 0 means they were out with the washing, F means fell, R means refused, PU means pulled up. If they've got a load of 1s on there it might be one to watch :) If you pick huge odds all the while you're going to end up disappointed most of the time.

Weight is obviously somewhat of a handicap by it's nature, of course it depends on each specific race how significant it will be. I think if it's heavy ground races can be more of a slog so the weight might be more telling. Then again some horses prefer heavy ground.

I'm not the punter that some other people are on here so they're probably going to be more helpful :thumbup:

My dad used to do this for a living and he's tried numerous complicated methods of making money in the long term. But for someone like you, you may as well do what I do and pick something with a good name, colours that look like 'winning' and near the top end of the betting. :)

Or wait until Crowley travels a long way to ride one horse, a 16/1 ish shot that has consistently performed badly/pulled up and has suddenly been entered to a different distance race!

Or wait until Crowley travels a long way to ride one horse, a 16/1 ish shot that has consistently performed badly/pulled up and has suddenly been entered to a different distance race!

All I know from my dad is which jump jockeys are w*nkers and not to be trusted:

Everyone except - McCoy, Walsh, Tizzard, Choc Thornton.

There's a tip for you Empty :P

All I know from my dad is which jump jockeys are w*nkers and not to be trusted:

Everyone except - McCoy, Walsh, Tizzard, Choc Thornton.

There's a tip for you Empty :P

I have to say, that actually is not a bad method. There really has to be a half-decent horse underneath them, but particularly so with McCoy, it rarely seems to be a glaring error when the horse doesn't perform.

Spencer is one of the worst for me. I just cannot bring myself to back a horse he is riding.

Very interesting, though it all sounds far more complicated than I was hoping lol Looks like it'll take some time before I start to get a feel for it.

Had a quick look on a site yesterday before a race to try and garner some info, but everything I read made no sense whatsoever. It was like a different language.

Very interesting, though it all sounds far more complicated than I was hoping lol Looks like it'll take some time before I start to get a feel for it.

Had a quick look on a site yesterday before a race to try and garner some info, but everything I read made no sense whatsoever. It was like a different language.

Don't be afraid to keep your money in your pocket if nothing seems to add up/ tickle your fancy.

I'm by no means an example to try to emulate, but I've look at most cards today and yet not had a bet.

Yep I need to start being more careful. Been betting on anything since October for fun, but have looked at my profit/loss on the site and have deposited over 100% more cash than I said I would be willing to lose.

The fun of it starts to disappear when you see the losses. I might try and study the racing terms and stuff for a couple of weeks and see if I can understand it all a bit more before betting on horses again.

Say if you have £1 e/w on a horse and it comes 2nd how do you work out the winnings? Do both of the pound coins go towards it or just the one?

£1 ew is effectively a £1win bet and a £1 place bet.

Odds for place will be 1/3 odds, 1/4 odds or 1/5 odds and will pay out on 2 places, 3 places or 4 places depending on size of field.

If the horse wins, you get paid out for the win and the place.

Haha if I win anything from it, it's going on piss money for us at the races this summer.

I meant to back him and completely forgot. Well actually, thats not quite true. I did actually back him with sportingbet but was told there was a problem with my account and to ring an account handler to get my bet on.

Twenty minutes later, they wouldn't accept my bet, asked me several times about 'flurries' of betting activity (wtf?) and then closed my account and paid me up the balance in my account.

I'm guessing the wife's account registered at same address could be next.

Archived