Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Guiza

Will Our Success Bring Future Generations of Young Fans?

Born in Nottingham, was brought up supporting city and started going to games when we were in league 1!

Now got a season ticket and stand and sing every game, and the week before, all I look forward to is the leicester game!

Games like man utd seem a lot better when you have seen some dire football e.g Swansea away

Come on chaps, cut the lad some slack. Not everyone is lucky enough to be born into a Leicester-loving family. How many of us have been married twice, do we get stick for changing horses (metaphorically) in mid course? As long as he buys a couple of flags and gets himself into sk1, he should be welcomed as a born again City fan.

We have this argument every now again about established fan etiquette and dos and donts, but unfortunately some of us do have skeletons in our closet.

When I was growing up none of my family were big football fans. I lived 14 miles outside of Leicester and had no access to LCFC. As someone who loves watching football I supported the team that were always on the telly and were good. I was a Liverpool fan!

When I was a teenager my older brother took me to my first live game at Filbert Street. Over the next few years I went to Leicester games and by my early twenties I was completely Leicester and going to every game home and away.

Some 25 years or so later I'm a season ticket holder and would watch Leicester in any league and no matter how successful.

I put it down to the age and lack of experience. That's why there is an age of criminal responsibility. I actually get incredibly upset by people who justify support for Man Utd or Liverpool by saying they've supported them since they were five. Do you really stick to every decision you make as a five year old?

Forgive me father for I have sinned!

This locality argument does not work imo. When you choose a side to support, 8/10 people want to experience success and so choose sides who are successful in that period. Put it this way, if you could choose someone to support with no link to Leicester, most people will choose Chelsea or Man City because they are most likely to be successful

However with success, we will attract more local support mainly due to PL football. However, to have a fanbase outside of Leicester, we need success in Europe. Until that step isn't achieved we won't gain more supporters on the continent. Look at why United/Barca/Madrid are all loved by millions.

If people onle choose us because we are in the prem they are no better than Man U Chelski glory hunters.

Not really sure I want them born blue love blue.

Don't want glory fans.

I think you are missing the point, we will not attract more fans because we are in the prem per se, we will attract more fans because of the greater exposure being in the prem will bring.

If you are a young kid living in Leicester but not from a Leicester supporting family but with an interest in football seeing Leicester on the TV, Live games, MOTD, Goals on Sunday, Soccer AM will make them more likely to support us, if they only see Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc then they won't get that association and will support a team they see a lot.

It is not glory supporting, and not because we are successful, but we are higher profile and so more fans will be exposed to Leicester at a younger age, and living in Leicester and seeing Leicester should result in more younger fans supporting us.

Archived