Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Guiza

Will Our Success Bring Future Generations of Young Fans?

Welcome aboard mate

Hung up the Manchester United shirts 12 weeks ago and started supporting this beautiful Club while we were dead last on the ladder before the streak. Something about the club caught my eye and haven't looked back! Boy, was i stunned with what happened afterwards.

Surely, i don't go down as a glory hunter/ bandwagoner if we were last and only won three games?

Grill me if you want. I do support this club. :scarf:

I was asking this to a teacher from Leicester last weekend. Apparently, Leicester fans are very much in the minority in Leicester schools.

He said that only about 1 in 20 kids are full 'Leicester' fans, then there is maybe two or three 'Leicester and <Champion's League team>' fans, and the rest just support Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or Man C.

Hopefully that will improve soon enough - being raised going down to watch your local team with friends and family is much better than staying in to watch a team you have no genuine attachment to.

I hope we do get more fans, My first game 1966, Don't care where you're from, why should anyone? Nobody can tell you what to do but friendly banter okay, If you support LEICESTER CITY FOOTBALL CLUB you are one of our own! It's not always about plastic or real fans, it's about money, time, distance or availability of tickets. Just sing when you're there......LTID

As I recent convert I find this thread quite interesting. On one hand I can see some of your points on possiblygeorge's position as a former manu supporter who seems to have suddenly seen the light and starting following a proper club. On the other hand, who am I to make any sort of judgement, being that a year ago I had never even watched a City match in my life.

To the first point, as an American, that grew up just outside of New York City, I always have followed and been a supporter of all my local teams; Yankees in baseball, Giants in football (American version), Rangers in hockey, and Knicks in basketball. I was never very much into the local Major League Soccer club, however, and instead support the Seattle Sounders, mainly due to spending parts of summers in Seattle and getting to see their matches in person. As a fan of local teams in these sports, I can say that it gets quite annoying when people join the "bandwagon" or "gloryhunt" as I have seen it referred to. For example, with the Yankees basically being the Manchester United of the USA I have seen quite a bit of this in my lifetime of support. I consider myself a "true" fan mainly because I have supported them and gone to games since as long as I can remember and my family has done the same for at least the last 80 years. At the same time, more fans means more money, and more money means hopefully a better team. With all that being said I do find it a little odd that someone has just switched allegiance in the middle of the campaign; but who am I to judge.

Overall, I'm wondering how most of the supporters feel about someone (specifically an American living in Canada) supporting LCFC. As I said, I have no connection to Leicester, or even England for that matter, but found myself very much into the BPL the past few years; especially once NBC started carrying all the games either on TV or online. Watching Leicester play a few times this season I felt some sort of connection and away I went. While it is hard to judge and/or compare feelings, I can honestly say that once I chose the Foxes as my club there has been no looking back. I have looked forward to every match, even when we were in terrible form, and felt the jubilation in each goal scored, and the agony of each goal conceded. I even ordered a "Foxes Never Quit" shirt on March 4, even after seeing the 2-0 defeat to manchester city. From the beginning, I never felt that the results truly matched the effort. It seemed that a lot of bounces went against us in those dark days at the foot of the table. I also know that I feel just as strongly watching this squad play as I do when I watch any of the teams that I have supported my entire life. Hopefully that counts for something.

As for the original question on this topic. I think overall, the longer LCFC stays in the top flight, and the more success they have; the better it is for the club. More supporters will come, and more supporters means more money. And we all know that while money isn't everything. It can sure help in the world of sports.

Also, if anyone knows a website where I can order a kit, that ships to Canada or the United States at a reasonable price, please let me know. Trying to find one online is nearly impossible! The cost for postage ends up being half of what the actual item costs. I want to be one of the only people in North America with a Leicester jersey. All you see over here are manu, chelsea, liverpool, man city, arsenal, sometimes spurs, and occasionally everton, and I'm pretty sure that's only because of Tim Howard. Anyway, thanks for reading my rant and up the City!

Really sorry mate but I don't understand the mentality here? You can't choose to change your club!

I hate the argument about proper fans and plastics etc. But it does apply here! You can't possibly feel the same elation as we do when we score a goal and you can't feel the same pain as we do when we lose.

You'd be VERY surprised.

Its only strange to us because we've always been city. Maybe he's realised that being a glory hunting manc was just plain wrong, and he wants to support a proper club with proper fans.

Why the hell am I being so bloody reasonable? Must be the euphoria of the last few weeks!

Just noticed he's in Oz, so the flags and sk1 are off I presume?

I took a few nights off work to watch a couple of games, never did that with Man utd.

As I recent convert I find this thread quite interesting. On one hand I can see some of your points on possiblygeorge's position as a former manu supporter who seems to have suddenly seen the light and starting following a proper club. On the other hand, who am I to make any sort of judgement, being that a year ago I had never even watched a City match in my life.

To the first point, as an American, that grew up just outside of New York City, I always have followed and been a supporter of all my local teams; Yankees in baseball, Giants in football (American version), Rangers in hockey, and Knicks in basketball. I was never very much into the local Major League Soccer club, however, and instead support the Seattle Sounders, mainly due to spending parts of summers in Seattle and getting to see their matches in person. As a fan of local teams in these sports, I can say that it gets quite annoying when people join the "bandwagon" or "gloryhunt" as I have seen it referred to. For example, with the Yankees basically being the Manchester United of the USA I have seen quite a bit of this in my lifetime of support. I consider myself a "true" fan mainly because I have supported them and gone to games since as long as I can remember and my family has done the same for at least the last 80 years. At the same time, more fans means more money, and more money means hopefully a better team. With all that being said I do find it a little odd that someone has just switched allegiance in the middle of the campaign; but who am I to judge.

Overall, I'm wondering how most of the supporters feel about someone (specifically an American living in Canada) supporting LCFC. As I said, I have no connection to Leicester, or even England for that matter, but found myself very much into the BPL the past few years; especially once NBC started carrying all the games either on TV or online. Watching Leicester play a few times this season I felt some sort of connection and away I went. While it is hard to judge and/or compare feelings, I can honestly say that once I chose the Foxes as my club there has been no looking back. I have looked forward to every match, even when we were in terrible form, and felt the jubilation in each goal scored, and the agony of each goal conceded. I even ordered a "Foxes Never Quit" shirt on March 4, even after seeing the 2-0 defeat to manchester city. From the beginning, I never felt that the results truly matched the effort. It seemed that a lot of bounces went against us in those dark days at the foot of the table. I also know that I feel just as strongly watching this squad play as I do when I watch any of the teams that I have supported my entire life. Hopefully that counts for something.

As for the original question on this topic. I think overall, the longer LCFC stays in the top flight, and the more success they have; the better it is for the club. More supporters will come, and more supporters means more money. And we all know that while money isn't everything. It can sure help in the world of sports.

Also, if anyone knows a website where I can order a kit, that ships to Canada or the United States at a reasonable price, please let me know. Trying to find one online is nearly impossible! The cost for postage ends up being half of what the actual item costs. I want to be one of the only people in North America with a Leicester jersey. All you see over here are manu, chelsea, liverpool, man city, arsenal, sometimes spurs, and occasionally everton, and I'm pretty sure that's only because of Tim Howard. Anyway, thanks for reading my rant and up the City!

You're fine buddy, welcome aboard.

I think many Brits have the same approach with US sports teams - watch them on TV, follow their games, stick with them.

Your kids should be LCFC fans. If they aren't, then it's your fault - simples.

My eldest has never lived in Leicester. He rarely got to go to games. The odd one when my brother visited from the states and we made the effort to go along.

however, he has always been a Leicester supporter and at times, hated me for it. Especially in the dark holloway season. Despite pretending to be an arsenal fan at school, he could never lose the blue blood that courses through his veins.

he now makes the effort to get two trains to get to each home match from uni. he will never support any other club and neither will my grandkids! Those Leicester school kids that support other teams do so because of a lack of direction at home. It's the bloody parents!!

I grew up in Tamworth which is Villa Country.

My Dad didn't really like football (more of a motorsport person) so my support was up for grabs. Growing up it was pretty difficult not to be a Villa fan, all the local papers, news and school friends all supported the Villa, it looked like it was going one way. My granddad was originally from the Wirral and supported Liverpool and he tried his upmost to get me to support them but even at a young age despite him buying me the shirts (even a junior membership) something didn't feel right. My mates were regularly being taken to Villa Park and I was so jealous to see real football.

Then my new stepdad took me to Filbert Street when I was 7 because I must have mentioned that I'd not been to see a live match. It was Southend I think in the 93/94 season, we won 3-0 and that was it. I remember leaving the ground and all I wanted to do was go back. 'Are we coming again next week? I remember asking and when he replied 'Sorry, it'll be an away game next week, it'll have to be 2 weeks time' as a 7 year it felt like the longest two weeks ever!

Being the only Leicester fan in both my Primary and Secondary school was great, especially during the MON era when I was off to Wembley for my annual trip!

I think Parents/Guardians, if they can afford it should take their son/daughter to at least one game even if its just the League Cup or something. There's no substitute for the real thing and if after seeing the Foxes live they'd still rather watch Chelsea on Super Sunday then there really is no hope.

Apparently so lol

No offense to you pal, more the merrier

Haha nah all good! I understand the skepticism from many of you! As I see it, I'm supporting this club and that what matters! I've bought a fair few pieces of apparel from the 2013 kit, scarf and polo many more to be added, can't wait for the season to begin. Never have I looked forward to a season of the premier league than I am at the moment.

Up the Foxes!

I been taking my boys since a young age, my eldest goes with his grandad to Arsenal and is part of the junior gunners, I am not always in the UK due to work, however my youngest is a junior fox and to be honest Leicester need to take a hint from the marketing from other clubs if they want to bring younger fans to the club.

The marketing for junior foxes is really really bad and to be honest if the club wants to move forward and attract the younger fans they need a new marketing approach. I still take my boys to every game that I can and they love the foxes, 

Are you an Australian or a Brit ex-pat?

If an ex-pat, then are you from Leicester?

If not then don't take any of the nonsense above personally you can support who you want how you want.

There is a certain tribalism in the UK that means you should support your local team and if you don't then it is ok as long as you are supporting the same team as someone in your family, like you're from Leicester but your Dad and Granddad support Newcastle, then it is ok to support Newcastle. If not then you are just a glory hunter, unless there is some tenuous reason why you support Manchester United despite never being to Manchester and thinking they play in the Old Theatre of Trafford and the manager is called Louise Vangel (which all glory hunters have a tenuous reason for betraying their local team, and it is unsurprisingly always for a really successful team).

The other rule is never change your club, so despite you hanging up your Manchester United shirt in English eyes you are still a Man United fan.

So if you are an Aussie and not used to our customs then fair enough it is nice to know our exciting play and erratic manager have made you want to follow our club, keep supporting from a far and boosting our TV audiences (but don't even think about coming to the UK to watch a match and taking a seat of a loyal supporter, unless it is a cup game, in which case nobody cares).

If you are actually English then FOAD you ostrich!!!!

I am none of these. My father is a Man Ure fan from the 1940's. :(  I am just a glory fan having seen Frank Worthington play for Leicester City and I have been a fan, man and boy, ever since. :D

I think we have some great young fans who make an awful lot of noise. Was having this conversation with a colleague the other day (similar age to me) and we both love some of the new songs the lads have come up with this season.

Akin to the 'good old days' at Filbert Street when we had some magic songs.

Our youth deserve a pat on the back this season, we both agreed.

Is it though?

I've been a city fan from a young age, born and bred in Leicester. I am now 30, living in Birmingham and with a wife and my first child due to be born just before the start of next season. 

My son's closest ground will be St. Andrew's. By your logic he should be a Birmingham fan, a lot of my mates at work tell me that he should be a Birmingham fan. I'm telling you now he will certainly not be a Birmingham fan. Am I right or am I wrong?

(He certainly will not be a Villa fan which is my wife's team)

In my post I was trying to make the point that, in terms of football support, the city of Leicester and the county of Leicestershire possess a peculiar unity which doesn't exist in many other places that I can think of. It certainly doesn't exist in Birmingham where there is more than one club to support.

I was saying that if you come from the city of Leicester or the county of Leicestershire, then City should be your natural choice if you want to support a club. Although most of us probably don't ''choose'' in that sense, it's something we acquire in childhood.

If you're still in Birmingham in five or six years time though and you're still determined that your son will grow up a City supporter, which is an ambition I applaud, you'll need to take him to games quite often and make sure he sees plenty of the city itself as well and gets to know it, and learns what a beautiful county Leicestershire is.

He might not support Leicester just because you tell him he has to. You'll have to put in the effort yourself as well.

In my post I was trying to make the point that, in terms of football support, the city of Leicester and the county of Leicestershire possess a peculiar unity which doesn't exist in many other places that I can think of. It certainly doesn't exist in Birmingham where there is more than one club to support.

I was saying that if you come from the city of Leicester or the county of Leicestershire, then City should be your natural choice if you want to support a club. Although most of us probably don't ''choose'' in that sense, it's something we acquire in childhood.

If you're still in Birmingham in five or six years time though and you're still determined that your son will grow up a City supporter, which is an ambition I applaud, you'll need to take him to games quite often and make sure he sees plenty of the city itself as well and gets to know it, and learns what a beautiful county Leicestershire is.

He might not support Leicester just because you tell him he has to. You'll have to put in the effort yourself as well.

I second this,

As I put in my post on this thread, as I grew up my local team was Villa and I was surrounded by them.

If my step-dad hadn't taken me to Filbert St when I was 7, my support was only going one way (I shudder at the thought!). One trip to Filbert St was all it took for me (and with it being relatively local as well) and that was it.

I am none of these. My father is a Man Ure fan from the 1940's. :(  I am just a glory fan having seen Frank Worthington play for Leicester City and I have been a fan, man and boy, ever since. :D

As I said all glory hunters have some tenuous link to their glory team, your tenuous link was seeing Frank Worthington and falling in love with his silky skills, I'm not buying it, bugger off back to United glory boy  :P

Hung up the Manchester United shirts 12 weeks ago and started supporting this beautiful Club while we were dead last on the ladder before the streak. Something about the club caught my eye and haven't looked back! Boy, was i stunned with what happened afterwards.

Surely, i don't go down as a glory hunter/ bandwagoner if we were last and only won three games?

Grill me if you want. I do support this club.  :scarf:

I see it this way. If we have a bad run of luck and somehow get relegated and spend a couple or more years in the purgatory of the Championship, but you still support the club in the same way. Then you have earned your stripes and you can proudly call yourself a Leicester fan. BUT!! If one day you are reading the newspaper and see something like Man U 0-2 Arsenal and you even give the slightest shite, then you are a bandwagoner and you should slap yourself a few times! 

This is true. From birth I started on mine, Leicester baby grows, toys, surrounding them in blue. If they were ever offered anything with the possibility of a colour choice it was blue for Leicester City. I've take them to matches, tell them about great games, cup finals. Even when they don't go to matches with me they drop me off at the train station and pick me up on the way back. I've took them on stadium tours, shown them were my season ticket seat is, shown them my mums/their grandma's brick in the stadium wall explaining the long line of Leicester fans they come from. And treats when we win.

Mine are now Leicester through and through, properly brainwashed lol, supporting another team is not a consideration they've ever shown and hopefully they'll grow up and love Leicester and the game how I have done and still do.

Can't see people's problem with possiblygeorge or yankeeFOX, to me if they support Leicester then you're a fan, end of. Living in a country where football isn't the predominant sport it's not likely they're going to know the teams and their position. You could say a lot of kids and even adults in England don't much much if anything about the lower leagues. If people have been attracted to a team and stuck through it this season despite the fact we've been rooted bottom then I'd gladly accept them.

So all aboard and get representing! :)

My dad was not a football fan but been going since 74 seen some of our worst football in that time.

Don't get to games now having averaged 35 games a season for many years.

If people onle choose us because we are in the prem they are no better than Man U Chelski glory hunters.

Not really sure I want them born blue love blue.

Don't want glory fans.

Archived